'24 GA OT Waltclaire Flynn Jr

There were plenty of towers at Tennessee’s Night at Neyland camp on June 26. Plenty of the line-of-scrimmage prospects on hand were 6-foot-4 or taller.

Few if any of them did much damage against one of the shortest linemen on the field.

Waltclaire Flynn Jr. spent the evening stonewalling defensive lineman after defensive lineman in drills. The 6-foot-1 standout from Atlanta-area Grayson High School showed exactly why he’s currently rated by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 58 overall prospect and No. 3 interior offensive line prospect in the 2024 class.

Flynn grinned from ear to ear when told few defensive linemen did damage against him all night.

“Exactly,” he said. “I felt I did good. I mean, there’s a lot of things I can improve on, but overall at the end of the day I think I did good.”

Night at Neyland was Flynn’s second visit to Tennessee. He picked up an offer from the Vols on June 8, 2021, and he took his first unofficial visit to Knoxville in late September for Tennessee’s blowout win over Tennessee Tech at Neyland Stadium.

Flynn said neither trip disappointed.

“I’ve been trying to come up here again for a while, and I finally got the chance to do it, and I got a chance to compete out here against some great competition,” he said. "It was a great opportunity, a great day.”

To hear Flynn describe it, the good vibes throughout the Night at Neyland camp offered him a platform to perform well.

“It depends on what kind of group I’m in,” he said. “If I’m in a real high-energy group, I’m good, I’m ready to go. If the group is low, and I have to bring ‘em up, and I feel like it’s pretty average, that’s not good. I don’t like average. This was great, though.”

A few current Tennessee players approached Flynn after the Night at Neyland camp, introducing themselves, congratulating him on his performance and making sure they knew his name.

Flynn admittedly said he struggled at first to comprehend the craziness of the recruiting process — “I’m getting there,” he added — but playing ball and talking to other ball players is the part that always feels normal.

Trimming down his offer list and getting a firmer grip on the recruiting process, though, is the next step, and Flynn said he’s not sure when that’ll happen.

“I don’t even know, for real. I’m just enjoying the process,” he said. “I’m still weighing my options. I’m still weighing things up for a little bit.”

Flynn claims he’s got “24 or 25” offers at this point, and there are plenty of heavy hitters in that bunch.

If Flynn feels any sort of pressure to narrow down his options, he hides it exceptionally well.

“There’s a lot of things I’m really happy with, a lot of things going great,” he said. “Every offer means a lot to me. I’ve pretty much got all the offers I want. I can’t complain. It’s going good.

“I think I’m done with camps now. The most recent one I went to was at Clemson, then this one, then … I think that’s it for a while.”

Flynn said he’s getting to know more Tennessee staffers as the recruiting process continues, but that his best relationship is still the one he has with defensive analyst Chad Creamer.

“Me and Coach Creamer are real close,” he said. We’re good.”

Tennessee, like most schools in the region, has recruited hard at talent-laden Grayson over the years. The Vols have signed multiple players from the school, and they recently took a commitment from 2023 Grayson linebacker Jalen Smith, who chose Tennessee over Texas and many others.

Flynn said he honestly couldn’t even tell which schools were recruiting him the hardest to this point, because he’s felt so much love from most of them.

“Georgia, Ohio State, Florida State, Tennessee, pretty much all the SEC and ACC schools,” he said. “I think, really, SEC schools are recruiting me the most.”

Whenever Flynn decides to commit somewhere, don’t look for fireworks. He said the subtle Arch Manning approach is one that got his attention.

“I’m probably gonna do what Arch did — just go ahead and commit somewhere, not drop lists of schools and all that,” he said. “I like to, you know, have people guessing. I like it like that.”
-Rucker

Waltclaire Flynn Jr. has proven to be one of the best interior linemen in the 2024 class, and the Grayson High School product has an argument to be the best center in the nation. With Flynn showcasing his talent on the field over the last two seasons, colleges have started to notice. Schools such as Georgia, Tennessee, Florida State, LSU, Miami, and many more have offered the talented lineman.

While schools from all over the country have pushed for the big man, two conferences seem to be leaving an impression on him specifically. “Every team that has offered me [has reached out and made me a priority]. I have been talking to the SEC and ACC teams the most,” says Flynn.
A handful of other SEC schools have made a significant push for the interior lineman as well. One of those has been Tennessee during a resurgent year. “The Tennessee visit was really cool. I had a great time there. Coach (Glen) Elarbee is a real cool coach and fun to be around.”
With several schools pushing to land Peach State product, Waltclaire Flynn Jr. is in no rush to make a decision. “I probably want to make a decision going into my senior year,” stated the four-star.

While Flynn is still looking at all his options, he knows what he wants in a school. “I’m looking for that connection with the coaches, players, and fans and who is going to help me become the best person and player I can be. I want to feel wanted.” Whichever school he picks, he says that college will get “a person that isn’t scared to work, a great person on and off the field, and just a dawg on the field.”

From Rivals:

Flynn has been a well-known prospect for the last couple of years, and teams all around the country have stayed in touch with the Georgia offensive lineman. Right now it seems like UCF has prioritized him above all others, and he has an official visit already set for June 2. He is very close with those coaches and looks forward to getting back on campus.

Michigan, Michigan State, LSU, Oregon and Tennessee have all been in close contact. Tennessee, LSU, Texas A&M, Texas and UCF have all hosted him in the last few weeks. In addition to UCF‘s official visit, Flynn mentioned potential official visits to Oregon and Texas A&M, but he is hoping to take a number of them thanks to the new rule allowing players to take unlimited official visits.

VN Store

Back