Elden Ring (PS4/PS5, Xbox One/Xbox Series S/X, PC) Coming February 25th, 2022

Also my favorite thing is hearing from people who have never played a Fromsoftware game before.

Fear not. I was there once.
What’s up DF!? I’m actually one of those. This is the first one I’ve played. Fantastic game. I’m about 70 hours in and still have tons to do.

Reactions: Gzearl11
What’s up DF!? I’m actually one of those. This is the first one I’ve played. Fantastic game. I’m about 70 hours in and still have tons to do.

Staving off my NG+ run as long as possible. Currently at 165 and about 1 site of grace away from Malenia.

Some tips:

1. Don't focus too much on your armor. As long as you're in a good weight class and maintain decent poise (60-80), prioritize looking cool above all else.

2. Don't necessarily go for max weapon damage. Mess around with different ones at the gatefront ruins until you find one that feels best, then upgrade it and respec your stats to scale properly.

3. Weapons that are good against the AI are rarely as good in PvP. Definitely have a different loadout for invasions.

4. My multi-player code is 696969 and I play on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 or 8pm.

You on console or PC?

Last edited:
Staving off my NG+ run as long as possible. Currently at 165 and about 1 site of grace away from Malenia.

Some tips:

1. Don't focus too much on your armor. As long as you're in a good weight class and maintain decent poise (60-80), prioritize looking cool above all else.

2. Don't necessarily go for max weapon damage. Mess around with different ones at the gatefront ruins until you find one that feels best, then upgrade it and respec your stats to scale properly.

3. Weapons that are good against the AI are rarely as good in PvP. Definitely have a different loadout for invasions.

4. My multi-player code is 696969 and I play on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7 or 8pm.

You on console or PC?
I’m console. Thanks for the tips!

Some tips:

You on console or PC?
The invasions look like a PITA. My cousin will be playing with some friend, usually trying to help them get started, or they are helping my cousin with a difficult part and they always get invaded and wiped. Resets their progress and eventually they give up playing for the day. It doesnt seem like a well done mechanic.

The invasions look like a PITA. My cousin will be playing with some friend, usually trying to help them get started, or they are helping my cousin with a difficult part and they always get invaded and wiped. Resets their progress and eventually they give up playing for the day. It doesnt seem like a well done mechanic.

Pretty much been that way since DS1.

ER had some major connection problems at launch and it's a lot better after patches.

Tell your cuz to get gud 🤣

Unfortunately DF is right. Your cuz will just need to learn his character better. My bud and I enjoyed playing together, but constantly got invaded. There are a number of players where that’s all they do is grief others at specific points in the game. Invade, run to an area where there are bosses/elite enemies, and then camp until you come along. It’s a losers mentality if you ask me. Tell them to get the (I think) white ring. Use it every time they are invaded and someone might join in and help out. 3 against 1 is usually a pretty good odd lol

Congratulations! This would easily be the best game in house in almost any other studio.

Bloodborne wasn't my favorite, but still very good. Gun parries and unfolding weapon mechanics were great. Fights against other hunters like Father Gascoigne and invaders were incredible fun.

I think FromSoft's best is yet to come. Elden Ring is phenomenal but at its heart, it's a fairly generic fantasy world. A big reason why Bloodborne was so good was because of its incredible atmosphere, which might be the best in gaming. Another large open-world game with a captivating setting like Bloodborne would be best game of all time territory.

Reactions: Rifleman
Unfortunately DF is right. Your cuz will just need to learn his character better. My bud and I enjoyed playing together, but constantly got invaded. There are a number of players where that’s all they do is grief others at specific points in the game. Invade, run to an area where there are bosses/elite enemies, and then camp until you come along. It’s a losers mentality if you ask me. Tell them to get the (I think) white ring. Use it every time they are invaded and someone might join in and help out. 3 against 1 is usually a pretty good odd lol
That's just crappy game mechanic that fits into the punishment meta of the game. Want to have fun with a friend, or need some help? Too bad newb here comes someone with no life to ruin your play thru.

They could still have invasions, just make it an option instead of it being tied to coop. Or at least find a way to punish the griefers.

That's my issue with the entire series. There is no option but to get punished playing the game. When you could give people options. It's not even like the game has to be punishing to be challenging, plenty of games provide challenges to git gud at, without the pain of a souls game. Even Elder Ring acknowledges this with the open world aspect so you can level without being stuck in one spot.

Reactions: zhangliao04
A lot of Elden Ring vs Bloodborne talk in here when Sekiro is the top dog

My favorite too, and I hope they make more feudal Japan content because I have money they need to take, but mostly I want them to just keep doing their thing with steady incremental improvements. I was actually relieved that Elden Ring wasn't an entire sea change in the end.

People underestimate the costs and risks of making something largely new all the time. See Fallout 76 and Cyberpunk 2077. I'm assuming the next studio-shaming too-soon release will have 78 in the name? Should make it easy to spot.

That's just crappy game mechanic that fits into the punishment meta of the game. Want to have fun with a friend, or need some help? Too bad newb here comes someone with no life to ruin your play thru.

They could still have invasions, just make it an option instead of it being tied to coop. Or at least find a way to punish the griefers.

That's my issue with the entire series. There is no option but to get punished playing the game. When you could give people options. It's not even like the game has to be punishing to be challenging, plenty of games provide challenges to git gud at, without the pain of a souls game. Even Elder Ring acknowledges this with the open world aspect so you can level without being stuck in one spot.

On the other hand, some of my happiest gaming moments as an adult have been saving my kid from griefers in Elden Ring and Red Dead Online (and those are truly the worst people on earth).

You truly haven't bonded with your offspring until you hogtie and feed the sniper who ruined their moonshine sale to an alligator.

Last edited:

I loved getting messages from invaders after killing them saying I’m a newb because I used either Moonveil or Rivers of Blood. Like they aren’t cheating either. Actually had a few cheaters invade my bud and I. We got good enough to where his swords special would attack the invader and I would time Moonveil just right to where once his/her dodge ended my slash would come right through and kill them. Pissed quite a few off.

Reactions: Rifleman
I loved getting messages from invaders after killing them saying I’m a newb because I used either Moonveil or Rivers of Blood. Like they aren’t cheating either. Actually had a few cheaters invade my bud and I. We got good enough to where his swords special would attack the invader and I would time Moonveil just right to where once his/her dodge ended my slash would come right through and kill them. Pissed quite a few off.
And that as an option is great. But that as the way it has to be? Not great.

Just took down Malenia as the last optional boss 💪💪💪 Rivers of blood did the trick!

I am the Elden Lord!!!

Here’s a pic of me and my mimic tear!

View attachment 466101

Lol I had to do it with RoB too. I tried everything. I even did the cheese on her where you go stand on a rock and use projectiles… she still worked me.

Lol I had to do it with RoB too. I tried everything. I even did the cheese on her where you go stand on a rock and use projectiles… she still worked me.

I’m not ashamed, haha! It also helped when I realized that I could upgrade mimic tear 🤦‍♂️

I’m not ashamed, haha! It also helped when I realized that I could upgrade mimic tear 🤦‍♂️

Ashamed?? Lawd no! I will be the first in line to cheese a boss (not saying RoB vs Melanie is a cheese, I’m talking real cheese, like cheat the game cheese lol)

The way I see it, Souls and Souls-like games are one giant cheese. The odds are stacked heavily against you, bosses are hilariously overpowered, and doing something as simple as rest/recover/level-up literally resets every enemy you’ve killed lol. I mean just look at Melania, she launches 1,000 attacks and every one of them heals her, even if you block them! If that’s not a cheese, I don’t know what is.

There will never be any form of shame in walking away with a W in a Soulsborne genre game, regardless of how it’s accomplished.

Cheese away.

Not gonna lie, I used RoB through the rest of the game after using it on Melania. It blows through invaders, too. Got tired of grief era so I just stuck with it. I lived off of “Your a newb for using that weapon” messages from invaders and their tears.

Moonveil and RoB are my 1a and 1b weapons.

Not gonna lie, I used RoB through the rest of the game after using it on Melania. It blows through invaders, too. Got tired of grief era so I just stuck with it. I lived off of “Your a newb for using that weapon” messages from invaders and their tears.

Moonveil and RoB are my 1a and 1b weapons.

Nice! RoB is a fun weapon, but I didn't end up using it until the very end since I had not put many points into arcane at that point. So, I completed everything else in the game on my usual strength/dex build using the grafted blade greatsword, and then after the elden beast, did a quick respec to arcane/dex build just for Malenia, leveled up my RoB -> hot knife through butter!

I tried her several times with the grafted blade build, and although I could stun her quite a bit, I couldn't quite take off enough health to avoid her taking it back here and there.

VN Store

Back