‘23 IL WR Carnell Tate (Ohio State commit)

Just signed up. Its not much but we gotta do something
It's worth it. Let the other Vols fans in your life know about it too. If you loved the feeling of landing Nico, if you've enjoyed getting more looks from basketball and baseball transfers, it's the best subscription that you can give yourself or any other Vols fan.

More $team!!!
That's the name of the game. We brag about our passion, we finally have the opportunity to let it speak for itself. We can't wait another day longer.

We see how close we are. We're making it hard for the best recruits to say no. We're making other coaches beg for more NIL resources to keep their place. We have to push more. We have that ability.

It sucks to miss here, but if there is any position that we could afford to miss at it is WR. Besides, from the reports coming out about some of our young guys (freshmen in particular) I think we will have elite WR's banging down our door in the '24 cycle.

So we think that this one is over for good? Any chance we could flip him down the road?
I think you make your best pitch, best offer and best effort then you know when to move on. Right now is the time to move on. There is plenty of talent that will shine in this offense. Need to focus on getting those that want opportunities instead of those that are already committed to their dream schools.

It's worth it. Let the other Vols fans in your life know about it too. If you loved the feeling of landing Nico, if you've enjoyed getting more looks from basketball and baseball transfers, it's the best subscription that you can give yourself or any other Vols fan.

I just subscribed

Congrats to the young man. He wants to be a Buckeye. Time to shift focus to other players to desire to wear the orange and white. Go Vols!

The SEC is a tough conference. It isn’t for everyone.
I’m with you bud. Getting bitter over recruiting is so 1994. We’ll be ok.
Good luck to the guy in Columbus...Beats Tuscaloosa or Athens, imo.
GBO!!

Reactions: lilesrt
These kids we’re recruiting now weren’t even alive the last time we were elite. We are going to have to learn to walk again before we start running again. It’s not realistic to expect any coach to take us from the SEC cellar to the level of Georgia and Alabama in 2 or 3 years. If we show we can do more with less, eventually we will get more. That’s how Rick Barnes and Tony Vitello approached it.
People need to understand that the best Tennessee teams in these recruits lifetimes were the Butch Jones teams and these kids were 10-12 years old when those teams played, and their parent were likely in middle school when Tennessee was nationally relevant on a consistent basis and have no memory of it. Their perception of Tennessee is completely different than ours. Even with our 100k seat stadium and facilities in these kid’s minds schools like Kentucky, Iowa, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Utah, and Ole Miss are equal or better programs than Tennessee. The perception of our program has to change for us to beat out elite programs for recruits even with us being able to cut big checks, because those schools are going to catch up sooner rather than later

Reactions: Sudden Impact
OSU has been to the college football playoff 4 times in the last 8 years. Tate always wanted to go to OSU. The fact that it was basically a toss up between them and UT speaks volumes for what kind of progress we’re making
this is actually the truth.

at the end of the day, these kinds of kids, for the most part, have multiple options for destinations. and none of them suck.

so carnell was always a strong lean to OSU....until he visited TN, i think TN genuinely gave him a whole lot to consider, and he likely came away from his visits here, especially when it actually got serious about coming here and that actually a consideration. but, he wants to go to OSU, and all he did was continue the process long enough to give OSU the shot at comparing favorably with the next best offer. they did, and he did what he's wanted to do from day 1.

i don't think OSU out bid us or anything like that, and it's clear we probably did put our best foot forward.. just not enough to overcome what he wanted to do from day 1 and barring OSU just saying "not worth it, good luck", it ended like many originally thought it would.

basically we've carried being "mike gundy'd" from coaching searches to recruiting and NIL. lol.

it's not the end of the world, and this will happen until we get more established, more consistent and more competitive at the top. for now, we'll take our shots, like we should, but outside of a few guys like Nico and some others that will surely come on board, this staff will have to make it's bones on the field with the John Slaughters of the world that want to be here and can hopefully develop in to quality SEC players. and no, that doesn't mean we should settle for 3* and 'want to'. but it does mean that as "cool" as we may be to some, we're still not THE destination for every blue chipper out there.

but keep bringing them to campus, keep recruiting them, we'll get some and continue to build this thing. the biggest loss for us with this decision is simply that if we had landed him, that would have been another major statement about this staff and the direction of the program. not getting him doesn't reverse or change that, it was a "more to gain" situation, than it would have been "more to lose", imo. basically, we really didn't stand to lose anything if he didnt come here.

lastly, WR board is very deep and there's a lot of quality out there, and this offense is WR friendly, so while i'd like to have #1 WR in the class too....not getting him isn't the end of the world for this offense.

we'll see how we do with the crop of defensive guys on the board and what else we got going at WR.....i'm not overly worried about this decision. look at this way....we made OSU do some work for a 5*... :)

We got played by a high schooler 😆

When we gonna learn ??? No sour grapes, life goes on. We’ve said it before, we don’t need the drama anyways - and looks like he’s a drama queen. Not gonna wish him bad, but I want to see MEN here who WANT to be here. Period.
We played ourselves....
There are so many WRs in the field that we don't need to chase after anyone.
I agree with you on everything except we got played by him... I am sure the staff is saying Next.
5* are rare but there are way too many WRs that the Recruiting Services miss on every year...

Eh. I didn’t take it as trolling. Spent the last 3 minutes on sports-reference and he’s not wrong. It’s a bummer, but not inaccurate.

You could spent the last 3 secs looking at his six posts and realized he was a troll. Honestly anyone that thinks Tennessee is closer to Vandy than Ohio State idk how to help them. Tennessee has the resources to be a dominant program they just haven’t had the leadership. Vanderbilt is incapable of ever competing on a national level in football. I’m not sure why this even needs to be explained to anyone much less a vol fan.

The way the transfer portal works now these guys never stop being recruits. Don’t burn any bridges but for now it’s time to go get another guy

Reactions: vols 30

VN Store

Back