Duke/UNC Official Thread 2021/2022 (K’s Last Hurrah Edition)

We should just go ahead and give the title to UNC. I really don’t know why there should even be a 22-23 season.

Reactions: Pappy
So we can add another 2 or more losses to Duke’s losing streak to UNC. That’s why.

I’m about as Tar Heel as it gets but I invite you to look their roster. If Jon can put it together and get them to play as a team they’re going to win a ton of ball games.

They’re loaded with talent and deep.

Reactions: GBOx2
I’m about as Tar Heel as it gets but I invite you to look their roster. If Jon can put it together and get them to play as a team they’re going to win a ton of ball games.

They’re loaded with talent and deep.
They're loaded with inexperienced talent, just like last year's Duke team. However, they have a first year head coach rather than having one of the best basketball coaches of all time. Jon is no Coach K, and even Coach K had a tough time getting teams dominated with elite, inexperienced freshman and sophomore talent to play as a cohesive unit in close games that go down to the wire against other high quality teams.

They're loaded with inexperienced talent, just like last year's Duke team. However, they have a first year head coach rather than having one of the best basketball coaches of all time. Jon is no Coach K, and even Coach K had a tough time getting teams dominated with elite, inexperienced freshman and sophomore talent to play as a cohesive unit in close games that go down to the wire against other high quality teams.
I’ve seen plenty of Duke teams a lot less talented than last years squad beat much better UNC teams. So on paper it looks like UNC should beat Duke, but anything can happen, as this past year showed. We’ll see how UNC manages expectations under Hubert. You’ve got people talking about this team being better than your last national title team and they haven’t even started practice yet. UNC was an 8 seed for a reason last year. They went on an incredible run and now a big part of that run is gone. If the kid from Northwestern comes in and plays to the same level I’ll be shocked.

I’ve seen plenty of Duke teams a lot less talented than last years squad beat much better UNC teams. So on paper it looks like UNC should beat Duke, but anything can happen, as this past year showed.

My point had nothing at all to do with Duke's talent level. Duke will have an incredibly talented team, just like they do every year. Their issue is getting all that young talent to play together as a cohesive team within a single season, particularly in close games against other good teams. Last year's Duke team struggled with that. In my opinion, Scheyer won't be as successful at accomplishing this as Coach K was, and even Coach K's results haven't been as stellar as they once were since Duke became a major one-and-done destination. It will be interesting to see how Scheyer does.

Last edited:
My point had nothing at all to do with Duke's talent level. Duke will have an incredibly talented team, just like they do every year. Their issue is getting all that young talent to play together as a cohesive team within a single season, particularly in close games against other good teams. Last year's Duke team struggled with that. In my opinion, Scheyer won't be as successful at accomplishing this as Coach K was, and even Coach K's results haven't been as stellar as they once were since Duke became a major one-and-done destination. It will be interesting to see how Scheyer does.
I was basically saying that anything is possible as well. I’m not sure what to expect w/ Scheyer as a coach. He’s a likable guy who apparently K trust to maintain what he built. With the staff that he’s built it seems like he’s paving his own vision for his teams. I think Duke will look different than it has .

Well, Keels went 42nd to the Knicks. Maybe it’ll work out for him. He’ll have possible playing time out of the gate as a backup to Rose. Happy for him although still a little bitter that he didn’t come back to team up with Roach.

But what I don't understand is why they need him to be that and do that when they have a bunch of other guys who meet that criteria and can't shoot like him. K behaves as if you need 4 guys who can create on the floor at all times. 3 is plenty.

Gilbert Arenas was on JJ Redick's pod and he talked about getting cut from Team USA in 2006. He said it probably came down to personality fit. He said he was cooking the A squad and talking too much trash. He claimed he scored 18 of 21 in a scrimmage where he and guys like Kirk Heinrich and Brad Miller beat the starters. TIFWIW.

But at the time he was doing his blog with Dave McMenamin and in a post, he went scorched earth on K. The morning it was supposed to publish, he called McMenamin and asked him to take something out so he didn't burn the team, but he said he had told DM team USA was going to lose because K had all the slashers starting and all the shooters on the bench. A day later, he woke up to the news that Team USA had lost to Greece in the semifinal.

This is exactly the **** I was saying about K for his last decade.

....and fact-checking, Heinrich and Joe Johnson actually started the losing game, but were also 5th and 6th in minutes. The only other wing shooter (Battier) played 12 minutes. The PF's and centers combined for 30 total minutes, which was always my bigger critique of K on team USA.

Melo played the most minutes, but if you remember, he wasn't a good 3p shooter until later in his career. He had shot 27% and 24% from 3p the previous 2 NBA seasons.

VN Store

Back