Justine invited to USA Basketball trial

Not a lot to say about Justine in today’s game. She attempted one 3 point shot in 12:34 minutes of play, made two free throws, had 3 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 turnovers. So far, it appears 2 USA players have not yet played, I read one is sick.

Justine seems to stand back, waiting for the set 3 point shot, does not dribble to create her own shot, so usually passes. She is blessed with height and long arms, good for defense. With more strength, maybe she can become a rebounder, but right now, she’s out on the perimeter.

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Mexico's concentration on defending the point guard is intense, poking as well as double-teaming. After playing now four games together one came notice the improvements of team principles. too much dribbling possibly because they have few plays.

This tourney is a glorified scrimmage. Evaluating every game is pointless.

In case you haven't noticed, this board has a fair number of compulsively obsessive followers (*raising my own hand) of everything Lady Vol basketball related, and so there is absolutely NOTHING too trivial or minor or eye-rollingly ridiculous for us to waste off-season time on. We are sitting here with our orange goggles on, holding magnifying glasses up to our screens, running every frame of every game through our talent detector -- and there's nothing anyone can do to stop us! 😝

Last edited:
Finished with 12pts, 5 rebs, 3 asst 0 to

50% 4/8 from 3 for her 12.
New day, new game. Besides Justine’s four 3 pointers, she made some nifty passes. My favorite was a pass to her which took her out of bounds under the basket. She did a quick flip to Kitts for the layup. Nice playing in a little over 18 minutes.

New day, new game. Besides Justine’s four 3 pointers, she made some nifty passes. My favorite was a pass to her which took her out of bounds under the basket. She did a quick flip to Kitts for the layup. Nice playing in a little over 18 minutes.
I saw that one, Q4,,,she had her best moments in 3 and 4,,,two assists to, ahem, Del Rosario in the time frame

I am planting that seed

thanks Coach, is it the standard in international ball, and/or other nations other than the US. I would also expect from watching that it effects dribbling as examples in every game of US players losing control.

Justine is lighting it up right now. A few beautiful 3 balls and a really nice dime here in the 4th.
Finished with 12pts, 5 rebs, 3 asst 0 to

50% 4/8 from 3 for her 12.

there is a bit of adjustment to the FIBA women's BB,,,For women’s they use a Molten GL6. These basketballs typically feature two different colors and are slightly bigger ,, 29-inch circumference.

1655594045478.jpeg

though 1/2" doesn't sound like much,,it is
Personally I can palm a women's 28.5 but cannot palm a men's 29.5

for those who want a sample of her skills, particularly being a team player and doing the correct little things watch the last half of the third quarter and the fourth. Her entry passes are gauged not thrown. two of the three's she missed were in and out.

After watching the twelve not all have the "experience" yet to execute as a team member when playing with other talented players. Justine does. all good.

for those who want a sample of her skills, particularly being a team player and doing the correct little things watch the last half of the third quarter and the fourth. Her entry passes are gauged not thrown. two of the three's she missed were in and out.

After watching the twelve not all have the "experience" yet to execute as a team member when playing with other talented players. Justine does. all good.

Nice to get a positive report from a savvy observer. Thanks.

One thing I’m loving about Justine is that she knows how to get herself open shots and isn’t afraid to shoot the ball. She made getting up 8 attempts from 3 look easy and hit 50% yesterday.

Obvious coach knows she can shoot as well. They ran several plays just to get her an open look at 3. She has the most beautiful shot on this U18 team for sure.

Puckett is a very good shooter as well but hard to imagine her shooting 8 3s in a game. Justine is going to be special I think. Her ability to shoot from the outside is just the start, she’s going to develop into an excellent 3 level player.

Last edited:
Trivia: who was third team all-state, but the only one from that state to be a McDonald''s All-American and a member of the US under 18 team?

included for those who focus on ratings to prove that voters, experts, etc are just human beings with some knowledge.

Ok, got home a little after 8, and for some reason it looked like we were playing Puerto Rico, (I know we already played them), so I watched the entire game. Then I was searching for the box score and saw we were playing Canada, so at 10:30 started watching that whole game. Watched the awards after, too. It’s almost 1 am, and I have spent over 4 and a half hours to watch (box score says almost 7 minutes, but I thought it was around 3), 7 new minutes of Justine play.

Must have been tough for her to be on the bench, but they won, they were happy, so that’s good. Maybe she can help bring a couple of these players to Tennessee.

Now, finally, it’s time for Justine to come get to know her new teammates on Rocky Top. Yes!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back