The 24 Hour Rule

24 hours isn’t enough to numb the pain of this historic season coming to an end too early, but it’s definitely been long enough to give me time to underscore how appreciative I should be for the type of season I just witnessed. I wished it lasted longer, but man…what a damn ride…

I processed it pretty quick yesterday because we exceeded all expectations on the season. Some true morons on social media that you just have to overlook because they have very little cognitive understanding of how the game goes. Coach V got out-chessed in that one yesterday and I'm sure he'd be the first to admit that. Some outstanding teams in the past few years have had this same thing happen to them aka 2017 OSU... and they came back and took it all in 2018. I think we've got a good foundation laid and I trust that he'll pull the talent we need out of the portal.

Let them have their fun because for 63 games this season, I had a damn blast!!
Vol baseball is here to stay, we just have a little break between games now.
GBO!!
Good take. This season was fun. Really enjoyed getting to know the players as individuals…from afar. This team was special. Can’t wait to follow next’s year squad.

I hate to be that guy, and I'm sure this has been addressed, but is it right one butt hurt ref, with a chip on his shoulder, hating on all the cockiness and 'mouthiness' coming from a team should be able to maybe change the whole course of the CWS? The dude kicked maybe our best player out for a game and a half for saying a bad word. Talk about your hubris

Let them have their fun because for 63 games this season, I had a damn blast!!
Vol baseball is here to stay, we just have a little break between games now.
GBO!!

I have to agree. This season was a great time and I thoroughly enjoyed watching this team. I was disappointed in the loss, but I guarantee this past weekend will make Vitello a better coach. Vol baseball is definitely here to stay and I’m looking forward to more seasons of exciting Tennessee baseball.

I hate to be that guy, and I'm sure this has been addressed, but is it right one butt hurt ref, with a chip on his shoulder, hating on all the cockiness and 'mouthiness' coming from a team should be able to maybe change the whole course of the CWS? The dude kicked maybe our best player out for a game and a half for saying a bad word. Talk about your hubris

i felt the same way, sorta, and argued that he should have issued a warning to Drew before tossing him. Turns out that - according to the ump, and I haven't heard this disputed - he did warn Drew earlier about badmouthing him, but Drew went ahead and did it later anyway. If that's true, the ump didn't have a choice. Drew has to own it, too.

We let everyone have their say. I want to thank @OldTimer , @Freak , and all the other moderators for helping us this season, it could have been overwhelming but we got through it.

All the newcomers, glad yer here. We have but a few rules, please respect them.

As for the game…That was a hard post game to watch. Putting my own feelings aside, it was especially hard to watch a relatively young HC, who doesn’t want to look up from the stat sheet, it’s killing him inside, and owning it. He owned it. The two guys beside him followed his lead.

Nobody blamed anyone, and they gave Props to ND.

We should all endeavor to have the same grace.

CTV stayed. He had an opportunity to go, but he didn’t. This is a hiccup in a milestone of a season, in what hopefully will become other great seasons.

I’ve tried to read every post and I’ve seen the blame passing through every position, including former QB’s, Truck Stops, etc…

A lot of baseball stuff coming up, I hope y’all all stick around.

Be Civil. GBO!!!
Great post.

CTV is young, talented, and hungry. I can’t for the life of me figure out exactly how we weren’t able to make it to Omaha, but he has put our program on the map and no doubt he will not forget this season, and will let it fuel him to propel us to years of dominance.

Go Vols

We let everyone have their say. I want to thank @OldTimer , @Freak , and all the other moderators for helping us this season, it could have been overwhelming but we got through it.

All the newcomers, glad yer here. We have but a few rules, please respect them.

As for the game…That was a hard post game to watch. Putting my own feelings aside, it was especially hard to watch a relatively young HC, who doesn’t want to look up from the stat sheet, it’s killing him inside, and owning it. He owned it. The two guys beside him followed his lead.

Nobody blamed anyone, and they gave Props to ND.

We should all endeavor to have the same grace.

CTV stayed. He had an opportunity to go, but he didn’t. This is a hiccup in a milestone of a season, in what hopefully will become other great seasons.

I’ve tried to read every post and I’ve seen the blame passing through every position, including former QB’s, Truck Stops, etc…

A lot of baseball stuff coming up, I hope y’all all stick around.

Be Civil. GBO!!!

The voice quiver by CTV as he talked about 57 wins being “a big number” about got to me. You know he’s got to be sick.

The voice quiver by CTV as he talked about 57 wins being “a big number” about got to me. You know he’s got to be sick.

Yeah, I watched it a few times, it’s hard because I’ve watched so many but he’s sitting there pondering whether he let the two guys next too him and all the others, down. I ain’t trying to say I know what he’s thinking, but the image resonated for me.

It doesn’t bother me. Nobody can take away the wonderful season the Vols had. When’s the last time Tennessee won both the SEC regular season and SEC tournament?
definitely disappointing end to season. A ND bud of mine called to bust on me yesterday, and he said literally something like 8 of their players are seniors. I think there's a value in a veteran team when it comes to tourney time, no matter the sport. Should have won, but we didn't...still doesn't take away a great/historic Vol season.

definitely disappointing end to season. A ND bud of mine called to bust on me yesterday, and he said literally something like 8 of their players are seniors. I think there's a value in a veteran team when it comes to tourney time, no matter the sport. Should have won, but we didn't...still doesn't take away a great/historic Vol season.
Also helps that they were one win away from making the CWS last season. I’m sure they were driven with extra motivation to get there this season.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
So am I. It took me awhile to say goodbye to last year’s team. It will take me quite awhile to say goodbye to this year’s team. So many fun memories, accomplishments, and great guys.
The thing for me about last year. That team wasn't supposed to be there and we had a lot of guys back so the looking forward part wasn't too bad. Next year there's going to be a lot of new faces and this team was supposed to be hanging around in Omaha. It's going to take awhile for this hurt to wear off.

The thing for me about last year. That team wasn't supposed to be there and we had a lot of guys back so the looking forward part wasn't too bad. Next year there's going to be a lot of new faces and this team was supposed to be hanging around in Omaha. It's going to take awhile for this hurt to wear off.
I remember being really surprised that Tennessee was picked to finish 4th in the SEC East in the preseason this year.

More so than football? At least in basketball you can lose several games during the course of the season and stay alive.

Or do you just mean the postseason aspect in general? Which I totally agree with you on.
My Aggie friends, like most other fan bases, are happy about what happened to the Vols. They haven’t given me much grief because I am a quiet fan and don’t gloat. Secretly, I wonder if deep down they are happy because they don’t have to worry about Tennessee now.
The silver lining here is that they are weird AF Aggie cult fans and you are not!

Reactions: brockytop
i felt the same way, sorta, and argued that he should have issued a warning to Drew before tossing him. Turns out that - according to the ump, and I haven't heard this disputed - he did warn Drew earlier about badmouthing him, but Drew went ahead and did it later anyway. If that's true, the ump didn't have a choice. Drew has to own it, too.
Did you notice how different the warning were between Friday and Sunday though? Granted this could’ve been at the request of UT, but on Sunday the umps did a bench warning and spoke to coaches directly. That clearly did not occur on Friday.

I understand how you feel. It’s okay to feel hurt. I think the level of expectation for this team rose as the season went along. I don’t think anyone expected this type of historic season. After last season, I remember wondering how we were going to replace, Liam, Max, Jake, Pav, Cheese, Will, and Sean. Well, Trey, Jorel, Cortland, CMo, and Bake answered that question, along the two Chases and Beam.

While this loss will sting for quite awhile, this team still accomplished so much and I will take time to celebrate their accomplishments. Next year’s team will have many new faces. I’m curious and excited to see who steps up and how they come together.

Last edited:
Hindsight is always 20/20. But can’t be too disappointed with a team that did this well. Baseball is the most fickle sport. One or two bd innings can wreck everything once you are in the playoffs. Very proud of this team and all they accomplished
Not only that but you have to win 10 games in the playoffs to win it all. That’s almost a ridiculous requirement for a college sport. There’s some luck needed for that, no matter how good you are. You can sprinkle in four losses but they have to be just at the right time. That’s even more luck.

Actually I think 8 of the 9 starters are in grad school already. They played like a talented, EXPERIENCED team with a great strategy for the series. The lefty freshman reliever was lights out. I still think we had more talent but that’s baseball. Been said enough but tis true…quite often the best team doesn’t win…especially in baseball.

VN Store

Back