Future SEC scheduling thoughts from other fanbases.

I'm for 3 permanent opponents, 9 SEC games schedule. I also think for OOC schedule, teams should be required to schedule 1 P5 and one G5 opponent. That last spot can go to an FCS opponent if you want to throw a small school a bone. We claim we're the toughest conference, we should prove it with the toughest scheduling.
I think every power 5 team should have to play another 5 team or similar Independent . I would even be in favor of Big 10/ SEC challenge for those teams that don’t have an annual ACC rival. Or some sort of crossover challenge the way it’s done in basketball.

I think every power 5 team should have to play another 5 team or similar Independent . I would even be in favor of Big 10/ SEC challenge for those teams that don’t have an annual ACC rival. Or some sort of crossover challenge the way it’s done in basketball.

I've long hoped that Bama and Penn State would play every year like they did in the 80s. If Bama played PSU, Southern Miss, and a random P5 opponent annually on top of the 3-6 SEC schedule I'd be thrilled.

I've long hoped that Bama and Penn State would play every year like they did in the 80s. If Bama played PSU, Southern Miss, and a random P5 opponent annually on top of the 3-6 SEC schedule I'd be thrilled.
I think that would be great. I’m not sure Penn State would be thrilled about it though. I would love to see Tennessee have the chance to host and travel to places like Ann Arbor, Camp Randall, Minnesota, etc..

Reactions: ATC_VOL
I'm for 3 permanent opponents, 9 SEC games schedule. I also think for OOC schedule, teams should be required to schedule 1 P5 and one G5 opponent. That last spot can go to an FCS opponent if you want to throw a small school a bone. We claim we're the toughest conference, we should prove it with the toughest scheduling.
Yeah I don't think the all SEC 10 game season beat up anyone too bad. So going a 9+1 would be good.

As a Kentucky fan,

3 permanent is good. I'd be happy with playing the Vols, Vandy, and USCjr/MIzzou annually. It's self-serving, but 2 are pretty easy wins, and the third is traditional and needs to stay.

In my opinion, no 9 game schedule. The SEC is brutal enough, and teams with out the depth just get decimated with injuries. Everybody but Bama and Georgia found that out in 2020 with the 10 game schedule.

I know we have quite a few posters from other fanbases that post here. I was hoping to get an idea of what other fanbases are thinking regarding the future SEC schedule.

Do you prefer the 3-6-6 model or the 1-7-7?

If the SEC goes with 3 permanent opponents, what 3 would you want? If they go with one which one?

If the SEC goes to a 9 game conference schedule, should the SEC keep its requirement to schedule at least 1 power 5 opponent?

Feel free to add any additional thoughts or ideas.

Reactions: UTwild82
Yeah I don't think the all SEC 10 game season beat up anyone too bad. So going a 9+1 would be good.

Not sure I agree. The SEC games are far more physical than any other. Teams with less depth have less of a chance to rest some starters when playing the conference bottom feeders.

Hey @Lawrence Wright what are your thoughts on this?
I would like to see Florida and UGA play Gainesville/Athens/Jax in a 3 year rotation. Would that be well received in Gator land or no?

Hey @Lawrence Wright what are your thoughts on this?
I would like to see Florida and UGA play Gainesville/Athens/Jax in a 3 year rotation. Would that be well received in Gator land or no?

Not well received by me personally. I’m a Jax native and grew up with that game in the 70s.

That game belongs in Jacksonville…in my opinion.

@RDU VOL#14

I’ll also add the two games played on campus in the mid-90s had an uneasy edge about them, and that’s with everyone knowing the game’s outcome before it started.

Not sure I agree. The SEC games are far more physical than any other. Teams with less depth have less of a chance to rest some starters when playing the conference bottom feeders.
I dont remember any team struggling due to injuries that season. Covid issues, but not injuries.

Do more players get hurt during SEC games than non conference games? Do teams that play non conference only at the end of the year have it better or worse than teams with a front load or spread out non conference games?

Seems like we would have stats that could say one way or the other.

I too would like to see the data. But anecdotally it makes sense. The SEC dogs are just stronger faster tougher than those at directional state technichal school.

I dont remember any team struggling due to injuries that season. Covid issues, but not injuries.

Do more players get hurt during SEC games than non conference games? Do teams that play non conference only at the end of the year have it better or worse than teams with a front load or spread out non conference games?

Seems like we would have stats that could say one way or the other.

I too would like to see the data. But anecdotally it makes sense. The SEC dogs are just stronger faster tougher than those at directional state technichal school.
Then you rotate your guys more. Dont be dumb like GA this last year keeping their 1s in against our backups just to maintain your defensive stats. Their other big DT kept getting dinged up, but they kept rolling him out there.

This is the equivalent of out of touch politicians saying, "don't like the price of gas? Just buy an electric vehicle!"

The 2nd and 3rd string at weaker schools would never make first string at the powers.

Then you rotate your guys more. Dont be dumb like GA this last year keeping their 1s in against our backups just to maintain your defensive stats. Their other big DT kept getting dinged up, but they kept rolling him out there.

This is the equivalent of out of touch politicians saying, "don't like the price of gas? Just buy an electric vehicle!"

The 2nd and 3rd string at weaker schools would never make first string at the powers.
The idea is to NOT be like Georgia who kept their 1s in against our 2s and 3s. You see them sub, you sub. A longer SEC season changes the calculus a bit on who you keep in.

I dont think it increases the wear and tear enough to be an issue.

The idea is to NOT be like Georgia who kept their 1s in against our 2s and 3s. You see them sub, you sub. A longer SEC season changes the calculus a bit on who you keep in.

I dont think it increases the wear and tear enough to be an issue.

Again, the 2nd stringers at USC/Vandy aren't in the same class as the 4th stringers at Bama. I'll just disagree on this one. :) Most of my life, I have watched undermanned Kentucky get destroyed in their depth through injuries because they couldn't sub- huge dropoff to 2nd and 3rd string.

Off the top of my head…since 1992

Bama played at UCLA
Arkansas played at USC
Auburn played at USC
Mississippi State played at Oregon
Georgia played at Arizona State

I’m probably leaving out a few more.
Man…i think it just hit me that 1992 was 30 years ago….doesnt seem possible

Again, the 2nd stringers at USC/Vandy aren't in the same class as the 4th stringers at Bama. I'll just disagree on this one. :) Most of my life, I have watched undermanned Kentucky get destroyed in their depth through injuries because they couldn't sub- huge dropoff to 2nd and 3rd string.
So it's no different than it is now. Or has been.

Off the top of my head…since 1992

Bama played at UCLA
Arkansas played at USC
Auburn played at USC
Mississippi State played at Oregon
Georgia played at Arizona State

I’m probably leaving out a few more.
Whenever Florida goes to play in Utah in 2023, will it be the first time since the 80s that they have played a nonconference regular season opponent West of the Mississippi River?

Tennessee really needs to push for 3-game system. We will lose some rivalries no matter what.

Alabama, UK, and Vandy are the three most historically important series to us and we need to try to keep them as a school. If we get a 4th, I say keep Florida.

I am not sure Vandy is going to survive much longer in the SEC, however.

VN Store

Back