ESPN hates UT - Hendon Hooker edition

Let’s hope for our sake and his sake that they are better. But this is what whips me about college football more than any other sport…everyone cares way too much about subjective opinions and not enough about the results on the field.

That likely is born out of the fact that subjective opinions have always weighed too heavily in the game…even now, when a subjective group decides who gets to participate in the playoff.

And the ESPN machine starts the Heisman “campaigns” before the season even starts.
I think the playoffs have done a pretty good job of getting the best two teams together. I hate them but Alabama & Georgia were the best two teams last year.

I remember ESPN really loved us during the Butch/Dobbs years. They predicted us to win every week. They picked us to win the East.
They slammed us during the Coaching Snipe Hunt following Butch's firing. We had it coming. It was self-inflicted. They have piled on after the fans have been ugly. We are an easy target. Winning and having a smooth football program quiets the easy dismissal and punchlines of UT Football.

Reactions: OrangeBeachVol
Yup. If you've been watching baseball they've been GUSHING over us.

It's as simple as that. Be great or risk being dogged. That's how it should be. Otherwise they'd be BSing.

ESPN loves controversy because it means ratings. Always keep that in mind. They will blow any controversy up and make a big deal about it.

It’s an opinion piece by one guy for ESPN’s website. It’s like getting butthurt over labeling all of Volnation as weirdo because one poster wrote a creepy letter to Jesse Scroggins. Who cares?

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
It’s an opinion piece by one guy for ESPN’s website. It’s like getting butthurt over labeling all of Volnation as weirdo because one poster wrote a creepy letter to Jesse Scroggins. Who cares?
It's not even that. The ESPN article didn't even insult us or Hooker. Fansided just vomited out a clickbait article with a misleading title which reads like it was written by a hysterical woman and everyone just ran with it.

Reactions: perico
Actually win big games and maybe ESPN and others will give respect!
We're getting alot of respect this off-season actually from most of the CFB media I think. We're the trendy pick of many for second in the East and they are all hyping our offense. Frankly, it's as good as I think we could reasonably hope for coming off a bowl loss, a 7-6 campaign and the broader context of not having beaten a Top 10 team in 15+ years.

So, they are saying as a preseason rating they find that as few as 7 qbs in the nation are better than HH and we're griping?

This thread is a microcosm of how information sharing has become so wacky in the world today.

There was once a time when you could pick up the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or International Herald-Tribune, read nothing but the headlines, and have a pretty good idea of what was going on in the world.

Then clickbait happened. The internet emerged and grew its own structure, which notably included clicks, likes, and subscribes as the metrics of journalistic success. And journalistic integrity went into a nose dive.

It suddenly was not successful to have an accurate, objective, honest and balanced headline. No, a writer needed a headline that was salacious, intriguing, or controversial enough to get people to click. Truth was lost in the rush to win clicks.

And this thread reflects that new reality. The ESPN article is very fair to Hendon Hooker. It puts him in the top 5%-10% of all FBS QBs in spite of a hot-and-cold first couple of years at Virginia Tech. Under those conditions, the lad's placement in tier 3 of that 25-tier ranking system clearly recognizes his 2021 success, and his exciting potential going into his senior season.

But because the Calhoun (what a moron) article headline says "egregiously low tier," the OP of this thread was fooled. And because he was fooled, this thread's title reads "ESPN hates him." And because of that title, a quarter of the people in this thread think Hendon has been disrespected. Like a boulder gaining momentum as it rolls downhill.

In the first 18 posts of this thread, I counted 5 folks (28%) who seem not to have actually read the article, certainly not with a functioning brain. @unfrozencvmanvol has been trying to make people understand what the article really says; I doubt many of them are spending much time following up and learning the truth.

They're simply not thinking for themselves. They're swallowing whatever bait is tossed in front of them.

This is such a good example of how society is being (willfully) misinformed these days.

One of the best posts in the history of VN, at so many levels.

This thread is a microcosm of how information sharing has become so wacky in the world today.

There was once a time when you could pick up the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, or International Herald-Tribune, read nothing but the headlines, and have a pretty good idea of what was going on in the world.

Then clickbait happened. The internet emerged and grew its own structure, which notably included clicks, likes, and subscribes as the metrics of journalistic success. And journalistic integrity went into a nose dive.

It suddenly was not successful to have an accurate, objective, honest and balanced headline. No, a writer needed a headline that was salacious, intriguing, or controversial enough to get people to click. Truth was lost in the rush to win clicks.

And this thread reflects that new reality. The ESPN article is very fair to Hendon Hooker. It puts him in the top 5%-10% of all FBS QBs in spite of a hot-and-cold first couple of years at Virginia Tech. Under those conditions, the lad's placement in tier 3 of that 25-tier ranking system clearly recognizes his 2021 success, and his exciting potential going into his senior season.

But because the Calhoun (what a moron) article headline says "egregiously low tier," the OP of this thread was fooled. And because he was fooled, this thread's title reads "ESPN hates him." And because of that title, a quarter of the people in this thread think Hendon has been disrespected. Like a boulder gaining momentum as it rolls downhill.

In the first 18 posts of this thread, I counted 5 folks (28%) who seem not to have actually read the article, certainly not with a functioning brain. @unfrozencvmanvol has been trying to make people understand what the article really says; I doubt many of them are spending much time following up and learning the truth.

They're simply not thinking for themselves. They're swallowing whatever bait is tossed in front of them.

This is such a good example of how society is being (willfully) misinformed these days.
giphy (8).gif

Reactions: VFL-82-JP

Thanks Doc

Heupel's "system" doesn't make the completions for Hooker, putting the ball where it needs to be for the receiver to make the catch is what makes that happen. Short, intermediate, or deep balls, Hooker was accurate at all levels. I think he was under rated in the article, but we will see for sure when the games are played. I'd love to see him explode to the point that he can't realistically be denied the Heisman.

We're the UT, bub, since they found a way to deny Peyton the Heisman, you can practically rest assured they'll do the same to Hooker, even if he passes for 7,002 yards and 70TDs. Never underestimate human stupidity, never.

Vols fans should get a clue. Stop hoping ESPN and sports writers will ever genuinely respect our team, be glad we're winning instead of losing and producing highly awarded players. Sooner or later, that kind of futile hope will make your misery even worse than it already is. --Apologies to Quark--

I love this post. Very astute. And yet, in truth...ESPN actually DOES hate us.

VN Store

Back