The Golf Thread

It’s a classic case of taking a check while looking the other way. The tour is funded by the Saudi government. We hold our nose and do business with them because they’re a huge player in the oil market, but it’s a brutal oppressive regime. They’re completely loaded, but they’re also beating women and beheading journalists. That’s why sponsors are running for the hills as soon as players announce they playing LIV.

I found McDowell’s comment interesting. Paraphrasing, but something to the effect: if we concerned ourselves with every political action of the countries we play in, we wouldn’t play any golf.

He’s not completely right with that stance, but he’s not wrong either, imo.

Reactions: Ernest T. Vol
I like the shotgun start. The only negative imo is there no suspenseful walk up the 18 for whoever is leading the tournament on the last dsy

Nice! Are they going to give them to you for next year too due to the storms from this year?

We were rained out for a half day on Tuesday, so I think we get passes for Tuesday next year, but we were told we have to enter the grounds after 12 noon. Not sure how they can police that entry time, but that’s what we were told.

There was a brief weather delay Wednesday, but it held up long enough to see most of the Par 3 contest before it started pouring again around 4:00. So it’s doubtful we get free passes for Wednesday next year.

Hadn’t most already told the PGA tour to pound sand?
Many of them thought they were going to be able to play both. For example, Dustin Johnson said that he planned to play in the U.S. Open even though he had resigned from the PGA Tour. It doesn't look like that's going to happen now. Also, this suspension includes the Senior (Champions) Tour.

Many of them thought they were going to be able to play both. For example, Dustin Johnson said that he planned to play in the U.S. Open even though he had resigned from the PGA Tour. It doesn't look like that's going to happen now. Also, this suspension includes the Senior (Champions) Tour.
US Open is run by USGA, not The PGA Tour and the USGA has already stated that LIV participants will be able to play in this year’s tournament. The PGA Tour actually has no authority in any of the 4 Majors.

The US Open isn’t associated with the PGA tour. None of the majors are.

Reactions: Ernest T. Vol
They can still play in majors so the PGA Tour doing this is like a slap on the wrist.
That’s the crux to all of this. If Augusta National, the PGA of America, the USGA, and the R&A don’t unify on this, the PGA Tour is pissing into the wind. My guess is that players like Koepka, Hovland, Cam Smith, Ancer, Wolff, Bubba, Berger, etc. may jump ship in the next 6-12 months. If they do, then the majors aren’t going to exclude that sort of talent.

Unfortunately, society has about a 2 second memory in this 24/7 news cycle. It’s going to be easier and easier for players to go over there as this becomes more accepted.

The other interesting piece to all of this is whether LIV can get the next Scottie Scheffler or Collin Morikawa to join their tour rather than the PGA Tour. If you get the lifeblood, it would significantly damage the PGA Tour’s ability to offset it.

Last edited:
Reactions: OrangeSticks
Wtf did I just watch…

final_62a47ff5cedd6500580ec871_478522.gif

We hold our nose and do business with them because they’re a huge player in the oil market, but it’s a brutal oppressive regime. They’re completely loaded, but they’re also beating women and beheading journalists. That’s why sponsors are running for the hills as soon as players announce they playing LIV.

No way we should be buying Saudi oil! We have more oil reserves in the U.S. than Saudi Arabia has. How does it make sense to import oil from the Middle East, burn fuel shipping it, and pay more for it, than if we used U.S. reserves. It's total stupidity.

image.png

Last edited:
These journalists interrogating Phil ... why won't they give the same treatment to Lebron James for playing for China?

They're just total hypocrites.
Because Phil said the quiet part out loud. LeBron didn't tell a journalist that the Chinese are "scary mfers" who he knows kill political dissidents, commit human rights violations, etc., but he does business with them anyway. Given LeBron's outspokenness about police brutality in the United States, BLM, the general woke statements he's made, etc., his silence on China certainly is deafening and worthy of criticism, but Phil just made it really easy for the media to go after him because of what he told Alan Shipnuck.

The Saudis are also large investors in a number of Fortune 500 companies, but I rarely, if ever, have heard those companies take heat for that either. I'd say it is because they take the money and just keep their mouth shut.

VN Store

Back