Staff is altering Hookers mechanics

They act like Heupel isn’t capable of fixing minor issues when it comes to simple mechanics.

They’ll literally b*tch over anything.
If it's minor and CORRECTABLE? Absolutely!

From what I read in the article, they tweaked some of the glitches in his throwing motion for specific throws. It isn't like they went in and changed his basic throwing motion. Basically added a little polish to what was already there. Hopefully, the final product is that much better than it was last year. As stated, we have TWO quarterback gurus on the coaching staff.

Gotta say that this is some unsettling news. If it ain't broke....as the saying goes. I look at it much like a golf swing. Some swings are far from "textbook", but for that player, it works. Hope they don't mess up our offensive trigger man with this.

Heupel and this staff were the ones that developed Hooker. So apparently he and Hawlsey seems something Hooker needs improvement with. Why wouldn’t you trust them?

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Yeah, I think I am going to trust the Heisman runner-up QB on passing mechanics more than random VolNation posters. I know that's a wild take.
What about a Heisman winner?
Say Chris Weinke?

Gotta say that this is some unsettling news. If it ain't broke....as the saying goes. I look at it much like a golf swing. Some swings are far from "textbook", but for that player, it works. Hope they don't mess up our offensive trigger man with this.

I doubt that it will have any noticeable impact. The thing that makes a qb is honestly about 90% between the years. Not that just anyone is physically capable of throwing the ball with the minimal strength necessary. But there are literally thousands of kids big enough and with a strong enough arm to make the throws that come out of hs every year. It’s having the moxie to know where the pressure is coming from, seeing the angles/lanes quickly, understanding momentum etc. that’s what pissed me off last year when we started the year with Joe and didn’t even get anyone else a single rep in the first couple of games. We had 3 guys that could make all the throws. I think at least the top two should e each been rotated in and given game time opportunities early to see who could make all these throws when it mattered.
Look at JG. Definitely had the size and arm strength to go along with a good work ethic etc. But he was terrible between the ears. That was obvious within the first 4 or 5 games if his career. But the idiot coaches at that time could t allow themselves to look past his recruiting profile and mechanics etc thinking he’ll start to do all the things I listed above with enough reps. And while it’s try some do get better with reps…there’s a certain level that you have to begin with. And it was obvious immediately he did t have it to a lot of us.
Anyway, back to the point…Hendon cleaning up some slight mechanics things should do nothing but help. He’s damn sure got what’s most important (between the ears) imo. Crazy ti think that if Joe had even just been decent we’ve have likely never gotten to see hooker play. Crazy how life can work. How many kids can play but just never get the chance.

Every college coach is trying to improve their QB's techniques. That said, I wouldn't change much. Let him sling it like he did last year. He had more of a fumbling issue than anything and it only seemed bad because of the timing on a couple, ala Foster's fumbles.

I know they are the QB gurus...but damn it...if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Some folks think broke-perfect is as simple as a light switch. It is either on or off, right?

Real life is rarely like that. In particular, the development of complex skills (like throwing a football accurately to a moving target over considerable distances with obstacles in between) is nuanced. It's more like one of those mixer boards used in music:

1654863207853.jpeg

Lots of things can be tweaked, improved, changed. Right?

So instead of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," how about, "Even if it's good, it can be better"? And especially, how about, "I trust fellas like Heupel who know a helluva lot more about this business than me."

You said you know they're gurus. Well...let them guru.

Go Vols!

I always cringe a bit when they start tampering with the mechanics of a productive QB

I look at it like he has a "Crutch" on certain throws and they're saying it's time to get rid of the crutch. The difference is in real life you get rid of the Crutch and you walk on your own. The Crutch is in the closet at home not accessible. The Crutch in this case is always with you, so some start going back to bad mechanics. It's a confidence thing and being able to trust the process. If he goes out and uses the new mechanics in the Ball State game and everything goes well I think that would be a great barometer moving forward.

Reactions: butchna
Some folks think broke-perfect is as simple as a light switch. It is either on or off, right?

Real life is rarely like that. In particular, the development of complex skills (like throwing a football accurately to a moving target over considerable distances with obstacles in between) is nuanced. It's more like one of those mixer boards used in music:

View attachment 462743

Lots of things can be tweaked, improved, changed. Right?

So instead of, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," how about, "Even if it's good, it can be better"? And especially, how about, "I trust fellas like Heupel who know a helluva lot more about this business than me."

You said you know they're gurus. Well...let them guru.

Go Vols!
Word

Heupel is going to do whatever he can to help players become the best players they can be, as he should. But how much y’all want to bet someone will refer to this after Hooker’s first bad game and blame the coaches?

Reactions: StoneColdStunner

VN Store

Back