Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

We aren’t playing Clearwater this upcoming year?

Typically, we will play in that event on a three year cycle. Covid cancellations of the major tournaments in 2021 threw off the Tennessee schedule because of being contractually committed to Clearwater for the canceled 21 season.

You’ll see us back on a three-year rotation of likely going to the big tournament in Mexico next year, then Clearwater in 2024 in back to the Mary Nutter in 2025 and so on. I’m not sure where the Kajikawa comes into play anymore with so many connections between Tennessee and Arizona State now gone, and the prestige of the event down significantly from years past. I love going to Tempe personally, but The Pac12 network dictates the schedule on the main field, which led to some… Operational challenges with our schedule the last time we went pre-Covid in 2020.

I think maybe you misunderstood what I was saying. I wasn’t trying to attack you. Just saying that, in my opinion, the fact that Megan was relieved of her pitching call duties for multiple games this year speaks volumes to her success as a pitching coach

I think it speaks moreso to Karen being a control freak.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
I was not aware that Megan was relieved of calling pitches often this year. If someone knows for sure that this happened then spill the beans why. Megan was hand picked by Karen i do know for sure!

I’ve gotten away from following college softball heavily since I started working full-time and left the game. A few random questions/thoughts:

Did OSU’s rise happen seemingly overnight, or did I miss something? Aside from the Michele Smith years, I mean. What helped them get to the big stage the last few years?

I didn’t realize Texas had never been in the champ series. Kinda mind-boggling since they had Cat. I figured she had won it or at least made a run for it, kinda like Monica. What happened there? (For context, I’m only 29 and don’t remember the Monica years at UT very much.)

How the heck is OU so good? I mean, serious question. How do they get the Chamberlains and Alos year after year? I get wanting to go play somewhere with a tradition of winning the natty, but what’s it going to take for these top recruits to venture outside of Norman and to another program? Or is it more that OU gets the already-good players and turns them into elites?

I’ve gotten away from following college softball heavily since I started working full-time and left the game. A few random questions/thoughts:

Did OSU’s rise happen seemingly overnight, or did I miss something? Aside from the Michele Smith years, I mean. What helped them get to the big stage the last few years?

I didn’t realize Texas had never been in the champ series. Kinda mind-boggling since they had Cat. I figured she had won it or at least made a run for it, kinda like Monica. What happened there? (For context, I’m only 29 and don’t remember the Monica years at UT very much.)

How the heck is OU so good? I mean, serious question. How do they get the Chamberlains and Alos year after year? I get wanting to go play somewhere with a tradition of winning the natty, but what’s it going to take for these top recruits to venture outside of Norman and to another program? Or is it more that OU gets the already-good players and turns them into elites?
Just my input:
OSU’s rise came from Kenny Gajewski and his philosophy, his ability to motivate, & create a family there which I admire very much. Also he hit the portal really hard when he got the job and that bridged the gap until he got some good recruits of his own.

I don’t know much about the early 2000s softball, but from what I have gathered is that Texas did not have the offense. Same as us when we had monica. I’m sure we would have had at least 1, maybe 2 nattys if we had an average offense for her.

I think Patty Gasso just goes a fantastic job of being able to spot out high level athletes. I mean I think the 2013 championship really put them on the map even more and got a lot of girls to want to play for her. Not to mention that she is from socal and has A TON of connections to travel ball teams out here. I think that, and this is my perspective, that some girls want to be on a higher level, championship conversation team rather than one who isn’t. And that isn’t the case with every girl just ones that I know. I think that until someone can dethrone them I think a lot of girls will continue to commit to play there. We do see however girls like Puni who committed there, was on that championship team, but with the portal the way it is these days saw she wouldn’t get playing time so she left and she’s thriving now. I expect a few more of that to happen in the future.

OSU - Kenny Gajewski is a great coach who really gets his players to buy in. He's also really taken advantage of the transfer portal to build a great team.

Texas - Cat had the same problem Monica had once they got to the WCWS. ZERO run support from her team.

OU - Patty Gasso is another damn good coach, and she has an amazing eye for talent and how to develop it. Not all of their great players come in as top 5 recruits, and they have two of the best hitting and pitching coaches in the business. Like Gajewski, I think her players really buy in, have great chemisty, and have fun doing it. The facilities and fans help a lot too, and when the new stadium opens in 2024/2025 it might be the best in the country. I don't see them slowing down much anytime soon with Gasso there.

Just my input:
OSU’s rise came from Kenny Gajewski and his philosophy, his ability to motivate, & create a family there which I admire very much. Also he hit the portal really hard when he got the job and that bridged the gap until he got some good recruits of his own.

I don’t know much about the early 2000s softball, but from what I have gathered is that Texas did not have the offense. Same as us when we had monica. I’m sure we would have had at least 1, maybe 2 nattys if we had an average offense for her.

I think Patty Gasso just goes a fantastic job of being able to spot out high level athletes. I mean I think the 2013 championship really put them on the map even more and got a lot of girls to want to play for her. Not to mention that she is from socal and has A TON of connections to travel ball teams out here. I think that, and this is my perspective, that some girls want to be on a higher level, championship conversation team rather than one who isn’t. And that isn’t the case with every girl just ones that I know. I think that until someone can dethrone them I think a lot of girls will continue to commit to play there. We do see however girls like Puni who committed there, was on that championship team, but with the portal the way it is these days saw she wouldn’t get playing time so she left and she’s thriving now. I expect a few more of that to happen in the future.

Same page lol. You just beat me to it!

Just my input:

Kenny had a cup of coffee in Knoxville under his old baseball coach Serrano before crossing the line into softball. Dipped into Tennessee this year and took Rose Davis out Murfreesboro (Mojo kid).

I was not aware that Megan was relieved of calling pitches often this year. If someone knows for sure that this happened then spill the beans why. Megan was hand picked by Karen i do know for sure!

For accuracy’s sake, she was not “relieved” of pitch calling duties. Kelcy Leach called her own games most of her first three years at Texas Tech. So they allowed her to call pitches late in the year when Erin threw. Outside of that, Megan called every other pitch thrown this year. It was not some sort of control move or taking it away, it was about the comfort level between two players who have been in a battery for five years.

For accuracy’s sake, she was not “relieved” of pitch calling duties. Kelcy Leach called her own games most of her first three years at Texas Tech. So they allowed her to call pitches late in the year when Erin threw. Outside of that, Megan called every other pitch thrown this year. It was not some sort of control move or taking it away, it was about the comfort level between two players who have been in a battery for five years.
I felt like you would bring out the truth!!! Thanks

Kenny had a cup of coffee in Knoxville under his old baseball coach Serrano before crossing the line into softball. Dipped into Tennessee this year and took Rose Davis out Murfreesboro (Mojo kid).

What many people don’t know is that Serrano was very close to landing Tim Walton as his top assistant when he took over the baseball program here in 2011. Florida ended up putting up the money to get him to stay, but he was, at the time, interested in making the move to baseball. Kenny was the Director of operations for Serrano’s first two years at Tennessee and was outstanding in that role. But he wanted to be on the field, so he ended up going to Florida to be an assistant for Walton.

Kenny is really good with players. When he was at Florida, he promised that if they made the World Series he would wear a full softball uniform for the open practice. In 2015, he kept the promise and hit the ground balls on the main field in full softball uniform, much to the delight of the Florida players. They had the practice right before ours, so we were subjected to seeing it as well.

Geeeeez. This isn’t even competitive, yet Texas played to get here so they’re probably the best to go up against OU for the title. :/ I actually like OU; I feel like their players are genuine, and I like Gasso. But any chance their bats are juiced? This is hard to believe, much less watch. It’s the WCWS for Christ’s sake. Bless it

What many people don’t know is that Serrano was very close to landing Tim Walton as his top assistant when he took over the baseball program here in 2011. Florida ended up putting up the money to get him to stay, but he was, at the time, interested in making the move to baseball. Kenny was the Director of operations for Serrano’s first two years at Tennessee and was outstanding in that role. But he wanted to be on the field, so he ended up going to Florida to be an assistant for Walton.

Kenny is really good with players. When he was at Florida, he promised that if they made the World Series he would wear a full softball uniform for the open practice. In 2015, he kept the promise and hit the ground balls on the main field in full softball uniform, much to the delight of the Florida players. They had the practice right before ours, so we were subjected to seeing it as well.
Good stuff. Makes sense now with the connections of Cerritos. Didn’t realize Walton was there when Dave was an asst coach there.

Geeeeez. This isn’t even competitive, yet Texas played to get here so they’re probably the best to go up against OU for the title. :/ I actually like OU; I feel like their players are genuine, and I like Gasso. But any chance their bats are juiced? This is hard to believe, much less watch. It’s the WCWS for Christ’s sake. Bless it
Juiced no more than the Vols baseball team. Gasso can recruit in-state, CA, Texas, South and portal. This is the model we’ve tried to emulate but don’t get the same success. Not to mention pluck from HI and Nebraska

VN Store

Back