Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Whewwww, when I say the drama between the 2 fan bases on Twitter has been pure gold this past year! If it wasn’t a heated rivalry before, the environment they’re creating on Twitter is definitely turning it into one.

dawnstaley on Twitter: "I addressed the Dummies for Dawn. The banter that flows from fam base to fan base is essentially on you all to work out." / Twitter

The "Negroes for Geno" comment was made awhile back sometime after the championship game. The two opposing groups were going back and forth name calling each other. Someone tweeted that to Dawn referring to the group or person as that. Dawn only addressed the "Dummies for Dawn" portion of the tweet and ignored the "Negroes for Geno" so this upset people in that particular group.
https://twitter.com/dawnstaley
You may not agree but that is how she feels. If you are easily offended, maybe you should stay off twitter. Because all fan bases have some fans that take things too far.

Reactions: Mr.Pivot
dawnstaley on Twitter: "I addressed the Dummies for Dawn. The banter that flows from fam base to fan base is essentially on you all to work out." / Twitter

The "Negroes for Geno" comment was made awhile back sometime after the championship game. The two opposing groups were going back and forth name calling each other. Someone tweeted that to Dawn referring to the group or person as that. Dawn only addressed the "Dummies for Dawn" portion of the tweet and ignored the "Negroes for Geno" so this upset people in that particular group.
You may not agree but that is how she feels. If you are easily offended, maybe you should stay off twitter. Because all fan bases have some fans that take things too far.
You are not going to sit here and equate Negros for Geno to Dummies for Dawn. SC fans have called Black Tennessee fans sell outs for being a fan of a program with a white coach, I’ve personally been called a bed wench, they’ve called our fandom Pat’s Plantation. The point with the tweet is that the SC fan base says vile and racist things and Dawn aligns herself with them and never calls them out. There was nothing funny about the comment. If Geno, Kellie or Kim aligned themselves with a portion of the fan base that made racist comments…people would be calling for their resignation.

All of this happened again last night…if you don’t see the difference between the way SC fans act and everyone else you’re being willfully blind. These are the same people who make fun of Pat’s illness and death. Dawn is not getting a pass on this. She claims to be down for the culture and empower Black women and she’s full of it.

One thing I've learned as a Lady Vols fan is that you actually aren't obligated to defend every messed up thing that your coach or fanbase does, and if it's wrong, or if it's tacky or classless, you can even call it out. Wild idea, but it's true.

The problem with SC's fanbase isn't just that it's rowdy or obnoxious (heh, we've definitely been there) it's that the coach actively participates in the nonsense and elevates some of the worst offenders.

One thing I've learned as a Lady Vols fan is that you actually aren't obligated to defend every messed up thing that your coach or fanbase does, and if it's wrong, or if it's tacky or classless, you can even call it out. Wild idea, but it's true.

The problem with SC's fanbase isn't just that it's rowdy or obnoxious (heh, we've definitely been there) it's that the coach actively participates in the nonsense and elevates some of the worst offenders.
🗣🗣🗣say it louder for the people in the back

You are not going to sit here and equate Negros for Geno to Dummies for Dawn. SC fans have called Black Tennessee fans sell outs for being a fan of a program with a white coach, I’ve personally been called a bed wench, they’ve called our fandom Pat’s Plantation. The point with the tweet is that the SC fan base says vile and racist things and Dawn aligns herself with them and never calls them out. There was nothing funny about the comment. If Geno, Kellie or Kim aligned themselves with a portion of the fan base that made racist comments…people would be calling for their resignation.

I never equated the two and I personally don't agree with the comment. All these other things you are bringing up, were they tweeted to Dawn and she laughed? What do you feel Dawn should do about grown people on twitter making rude remarks? How do you want her to discipline them? Why did they target you? Maybe you should stop communicating with that group of the fan base. I am a SC fan, and I don't know or socialize with them.

I never equated the two and I personally don't agree with the comment. All these other things you are bringing up, were they tweeted to Dawn and she laughed? What do you feel Dawn should do about grown people on twitter making rude remarks? How do you want her to discipline them? Why did they target you? Maybe you should stop communicating with that group of the fan base. I am a SC fan, and I don't know or socialize with them.

Someone might suggest she put out a tweet stating "Hey, y'all basketball is supposed to be fun let's keep it respectful" doesn't seem that hard to do. I'm not attacking her but she is a voice and has a platform and she does use it for good.

If she can tweet about get well soon Paige B or hate to see an injury for this person (and she did this for a couple players but not a single one on TN might i add) then we know her fingers work and you would think she would want to keep the focus on her team and the game. Again, she doesn't have to and that's her right to do so. But when she doesn't and people notice it it's their right to speak on it. Especially when you know she personally interacts with one of the main rude disrespectful 💩 starters. So it ends up being a reflection on her and her program to some and to some degree. I like what she has done so this is coming from a NONhater stand point.

All of this happened again last night…if you don’t see the difference between the way SC fans act and everyone else you’re being willfully blind. These are the same people who make fun of Pat’s illness and death. Dawn is not getting a pass on this. She claims to be down for the culture and empower Black women and she’s full of it.

I don't judge an entire fan base on how a hand full of people act on twitter. Maybe you should stop tweeting back and forth with them.

Dawn needs to stop communicating with that part of the fan base. She can't control what fans do, but she can stop promoting and encouraging that kind of behavior.

Someone might suggest she put out a tweet stating "Hey, y'all basketball is supposed to be fun let's keep it respectful" doesn't seem that hard to do. I'm not attacking her but she is a voice and has a platform and she does use it for good.

If she can tweet about get well soon Paige B or hate to see an injury for this person (and she did this for a couple players but not a single one on TN might i add) then we know her fingers work and you would think she would want to keep the focus on her team and the game. Again, she doesn't have to and that's her right to do so. But when she doesn't and people notice it it's their right to speak on it. Especially when you know she personally interacts with one of the main rude disrespectful 💩 starters. So it ends up being a reflection on her and her program to some and to some degree. I like what she has done so this is coming from a NONhater stand point.

I agree with you. Stlvolsfan should take her grievance to Dawn. I am sure Dawn would address her being attacked in that manner if she associates with that person. It does not have to be over twitter.

Dawn needs to stop communicating with that part of the fan base. She can't control what fans do, but she can stop promoting and encouraging that kind of behavior.
Dawn interacts with mostly everyone. If you were to tweet her, she would respond and communicate with you. Like I mentioned before it is a good thing and a bad thing. That is why the fans love her so much. Very few coaches interact with their fan base on this type of level. In this instance she was dragged in to some unfortunate twitter beef between a group of UConn and SC fans.

Dawn interacts with mostly everyone. If you were to tweet her, she would respond and communicate with you. Like I mentioned before it is a good thing and a bad thing. That is why the fans love her so much. Very few coaches interact with their fan base on this type of level. In this instance she was dragged in to some unfortunate twitter beef between a group of UConn and SC fans.
Yeah, it's a bad thing in this case. Own up to it, and learn the lesson. Better ways of catering to a fanbase on social media than involving oneself in petty e-beef.

Also, with respect Shiverz, perhaps step back and see how it looks for you to come on our board and lecture us on how we view your increasingly nasty and hostile fanbase when we don't have a dog in this fight. Take it to the Boneyard, or to whatever the SC board is.

Although I was defending Dawn, I do not condone any of the things that were said by that group towards you and the UT fan base. There is nothing wrong with back forth banter but some things should be off limits.

Yeah, it's a bad thing in this case. Own up to it, and learn the lesson. Better ways of catering to a fanbase on social media than involving oneself in petty e-beef.

Also, with respect Shiverz, perhaps step back and see how it looks for you to come on our board and lecture us on how we view your increasingly nasty and hostile fanbase when we don't have a dog in this fight. Take it to the Boneyard, or to whatever the SC board is.

With respect, I did not bring it here. I commented on the tweet because it was disingenuous. Someone has a dog in the fight since it was brought over here. There are nasty and hostile fans in all fanbases. That does not mean most of the fans can't be cordial. I mentioned before I use to be a Tennessee fan before I was a SC fan. This is my last post on this matter.

With respect, I did not bring it here. I commented on the tweet because it was disingenuous. Someone has a dog in the fight since it was brought over here. There are nasty and hostile fans in all fanbases. That does not mean most of the fans can't be cordial. I mentioned before I use to be a Tennessee fan before I was a SC fan. This is my last post on this matter.

With respect, Im glad you are bowing out on the subject and bringing it to a close. I can get your point but i can also see where you suggesting how fans react to other fans and their fan base can be taken as disingenuous.

Thank you sincerely (i don't expect to hear back since you said it was the last time you would comment).

I don't judge an entire fan base on how a hand full of people act on twitter. Maybe you should stop tweeting back and forth with them.
They come looking for a problem. I don’t initiate contact with them. It can be a group of LV fans praising our team and they’ll jump in to start 💩. If you’re unfamiliar with them and their tactics…you might want to sit this one out.

🎤 drop

Why didn't you include Dawn's response to her question? Dawn comment and laughing was directed at the UConn fan calling SC fans "Dummies for Dawn". She didn't even know what that was about. Dawn did not know what was going on since that was tweeted at her. You are taking portions of 2 different tweets and combining it to make it look a whole lot worse. I am not going to copy and paste it because you can go and read the exchange on your own like I did. Dawn's interaction with her fan base is a blessing and a curse. Because all interactions are not always positive and Dawn got drawn in to something she had nothing to do with. Dawn for some reason responds to everyone. She responds to the fans and the trolls. Which is her prerogative.
Dawn is friends with some folks on The Committee, and they have said some nasty stuff about Pat.

She was stirring the pot. You can’t convince me that she didn’t know what was going on.

Reactions: mlindsay
Everyone, from an outsider here, please stop on the Dawn stuff, it’s fun for some but tbh, and I have always been honest on this board, she doesn’t feed those trolls in spite of all the machinations folks keep posting, listen, she is a great gal, a great ambassador for WBB and let’s leave it there, I apologize for the ignorant tweeters, Lord knows they should be banned.

Everyone, from an outsider here, please stop on the Dawn stuff, it’s fun for some but tbh, and I have always been honest on this board, she doesn’t feed those trolls in spite of all the machinations folks keep posting, listen, she is a great gal, a great ambassador for WBB and let’s leave it there, I apologize for the ignorant tweeters, Lord knows they should be banned.
You don’t have to apologize for anyone other than yourself, that’s on them, not on you. However, there is no way anyone can convince me she is ignorant to what they say and do. She completely stirred that pot last night and got called out on it. She encourages their behavior by interacting with them on a regular basis. She is part of the problem.

StL, she was in all honesty taken out of context, in above her tweet is NOT presented properly, it was not honest to suggest otherwise, it was shown out of sequence. I get it, this is a LV board and SC fans need to just shut up here, it’s a no win, and on a rival board I should not be posting this here either, I Get it. this Board is LV all the way and y’all can post it anyway you want. That’s how it should be, we have some ignorant fans to be sure, embarrassed by some Of them, all fan bases have some and yeah, this isn’t the place to say that. Truly am sad about the whole state of affairs.

VN Store

Back