Proposed new SEC schedule, who does UT get?

I hate the idea of expansion. It has done nothing but ruin the series we played with our charter members. There was a time when we began the SEC season by playing Auburn, a team we played every year from 1956 to 1991. A great series gone and for what, to bring in South Carolina and Arkansas. Last expansion further reduced the opportunity to play against our charter SEC teams. This will bring more of the same.

I am an old dog, no new tricks. To me they will always be just Southwest Conference teams playing in the SEC.

Yep
I miss the days those real rivalries...like the Georgia Tech, Sewanee and Tulane. When the SEC let them leave it ruined college football for me....

Yep
I miss the days those real rivalries...like the Georgia Tech, Sewanee and Tulane. When the SEC let them leave it ruined college football for me....

I was talking about our remaining charter members. I didn't mention Georgia Tech but since you brought them up. . .

Fifty years ago, Georgia Tech left the SEC (ajc.com) On Jan 24, 1964, the Institute announced its intent to leave the SEC.

“Since 1951 (through 1963), Tech football was 6-3-1 versus Tennessee, 7-2-2 against Florida, 6-6-1 against Auburn, 7-6 against Alabama and 9-4 against state-rival Georgia. Tech football had been ranked in the top 20 each of these years and had won the national championship in 1952.”

I miss our games with Auburn, with Ole Miss and yes GT. We don't see LSU or Miss St enough to suit me. I want the SEC to play the SEC. A SECCG win by a team who has played only 8 or 9 of it's 16 members isn't much of a SEC champ in my opinion.

Last edited:
I care more about Florida
If I were to guess, you are under the age of 35…….I might be wrong. Most younger fans are in your camp. Older ones know the spite between UK and UT.

That said, I highly doubt anyone Hates UF more than me, but I’d rather keep the UK game over UF for historical reasons. JMO

If I were to guess, you are under the age of 35…….I might be wrong. Most younger fans are in your camp. Older ones know the spite between UK and UT.

That said, I highly doubt anyone Hates UF more than me, but I’d rather keep the UK game over UF for historical reasons. JMO
To add to this, you also have to look at the other side when looking at this. I would bet 80%+ of Vandy and Kentucky fans would have us as their most hated in conference team and the number one game they would want to keep. Add that to the fact we've played these 2 teams more than anybody else and it's kind of a no brainer we keep them on the schedule. Then add the fact both us and Bama want to keep that game, there's our three.

Reactions: peaygolf
UT has been bad for so long I don't even know if we have a true rival anymore. Alabama has Auburn and now Texas A&M, Florida has Florida State and Georgia, Georgia has Florida and Auburn. I can't claim Vanderbilt or Kentucky as one.

UT has been bad for so long I don't even know if we have a true rival anymore. Alabama has Auburn and now Texas A&M, Florida has Florida State and Georgia, Georgia has Florida and Auburn. I can't claim Vanderbilt or Kentucky as one.
The only team in the country that thinks UT is their most heated rival is Vandy......Lot's of schools don't like UT, but Vandy is the only one that would rather beat UT than anyone else.....

The only team in the country that thinks UT is their most heated rival is Vandy......Lot's of schools don't like UT, but Vandy is the only one that would rather beat UT than anyone else.....

Like it or not, Vandy is our number 1 rival historically. Sure, we hate Florida (my number 1 hate), and we do have am healthy rivalry with Bama, but Candy is our instate rival and will always be on our schedule. Don't sweat it, it works to our benefit in the long run. When we are good, it's an easy win. When we are bad and lose to them it helps usher out a loser coach who has no business being here.

I prefer the 4 pod method.
If we get 7+1 we will get Vandy, I cannot see us not playing an instate "rival" every season.
6+ 3 I would rather Vandy, Bama, FL.
Why not let that be Vandy's rivalry and ours would be Bama and Bama would be Auburn and so on.

Make a permanent rival priority out of UK, even over Bama who I do not want removed from our scheduling. Why? BRING BACK THE BARREL!!!! Makes for more entertaining tv, draws fans better nationally, mo money mo money mo money mo money.

Imagine 1 & 7 scheduling this yr. The biggest anticipated game since last yr is aTm vs Bama due to 1) Aggies upset of the Tide & 2) Saban/Jimbo war. That game probably wouldn’t occur this yr.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
UK and Vandy hate us more than anyone. They are our two biggest rivals in 2022.
Bama needs us to step up for it to be a priority.
Let's give them their shot.

Reactions: WillisWG
I was talking about our remaining charter members. I didn't mention Georgia Tech but since you brought them up. . .

Fifty years ago, Georgia Tech left the SEC (ajc.com) On Jan 24, 1964, the Institute announced its intent to leave the SEC.

“Since 1951 (through 1963), Tech football was 6-3-1 versus Tennessee, 7-2-2 against Florida, 6-6-1 against Auburn, 7-6 against Alabama and 9-4 against state-rival Georgia. Tech football had been ranked in the top 20 each of these years and had won the national championship in 1952.”

I miss our games with Auburn, with Ole Miss and yes GT. We don't see LSU or Miss St enough to suit me. I want the SEC to play the SEC. A SECCG win by a team who has played only 8 or 9 of it's 16 members isn't much of a SEC champ in my opinion.
And before expansion, Tennessee rarely played Georgia (from a bordering state) or Florida.

What is the appeal of playing Miss State more frequently?

Make a permanent rival priority out of UK, even over Bama who I do not want removed from our scheduling. Why? BRING BACK THE BARREL!!!! Makes for more entertaining tv, draws fans better nationally, mo money mo money mo money mo money.

Are you saying that Kentucky vs Tennessee draws better on TV than Tennessee vs Bama?

And before expansion, Tennessee rarely played Georgia (from a bordering state) or Florida.

The appeal is that they're not South Carolina, they're not Missouri. I simply want the Vols to play Auburn more, LSU more, Ole Miss more and yes Miss State more.

We lost in the expansion, we ended up with three teams in South Carolina, Florida and Georgia that weren't even close to being rivals. We kept Bama thank goodness but we lost our series with too many of our other rivals.

In Missouri, we got another team that was not even close to being a rival and further reduced our chance to play to the teams I mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: wmcovol

I really enjoyed playing Ga. Tech back in he 1950s when I was at Tennessee. In fact, the Tech game was often the best game of the season. In 1957, I bought 7 extra Tickets to the Tech game the day tickets with on sale. On game day, I stood across the road from E&E Drug store and sold all of them in about 3 minutes. That year, Tennessee won 21-7. I made $ 35 dollars profit on each of those 7 tickets which paid for over half of my first Quarter costs that Fall, including tuition, room and food. In the previous year, 1956, Tennessee had beaten Tech in Atlanta 6-0. Tech was ranked #2 and Tennessee was ranked #3 going into that game. The next Monday, Tennessee was ranked #1 in the AP poll. I really missed playing Tech in both football and basketball and the games were always hard fought. I wish we still played them. Bobby Dodd always had a competitive football team.

I really enjoyed playing Ga. Tech back in he 1950s when I was at Tennessee. In fact, the Tech game was often the best game of the season. In 1957, I bought 7 extra Tickets to the Tech game the day tickets with on sale. On game day, I stood across the road from E&E Drug store and sold all of them in about 3 minutes. That year, Tennessee won 21-7. I made $ 35 dollars profit on each of those 7 tickets which paid for over half of my first Quarter costs that Fall, including tuition, room and food. In the previous year, 1956, Tennessee had beaten Tech in Atlanta 6-0. Tech was ranked #2 and Tennessee was ranked #3 going into that game. The next Monday, Tennessee was ranked #1 in the AP poll. I really missed playing Tech in both football and basketball and the games were always hard fought. I wish we still played them. Bobby Dodd always had a competitive football team.

When I was a kid, Tennessee’s biggest rivals were Alabama, Auburn & Ga Tech.

You were in school in 1957? I was born in 58 and i'm 64 yrs old. You got be close to 80 or better.

So has anything came out about the new scheduling for football? Here it is about to be Thursday and they released several new schedules for other sports but no football that I can see.

VN Store

Back