Proposed new SEC schedule, who does UT get?

This is what Sports Illustrated said would be the most likely permanent rivals….

• Missouri: Oklahoma; Arkansas; South Carolina
  • Arkansas: Missouri; Texas; Kentucky
  • Texas A&M: LSU; Texas; Mississippi State
  • Texas: Oklahoma; Texas A&M; Arkansas
  • Oklahoma: Texas; Missouri; Florida
  • LSU: Ole Miss; Texas A&M; Alabama
  • Ole Miss: Mississippi State; LSU; Vanderbilt
  • Mississippi State: Ole Miss; Kentucky; Texas A&M
  • Alabama: Auburn; Tennessee; LSU
  • Auburn: Alabama; Georgia; Vanderbilt
  • Vanderbilt: Tennessee; Ole Miss; Auburn
  • Tennessee: Vanderbilt; Alabama; South Carolina
  • Kentucky: Mississippi State; Arkansas; Georgia
  • Georgia: Auburn; Florida; Kentucky
  • Florida: Georgia; South Carolina; Oklahoma
  • South Carolina: Florida; Missouri; Tennessee

I know that this is SI's best attempt, but I don't see how Tennessee could reasonably be considered in the bottom half of the conference. At least not from a historic point of view.

FWIW, I would like to see two divisions of 8 teams. Play each division team every year plus two rotating cross over games. Seems they're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

This works perfectly and, if one really wanted to preserve a rivalry like Alabama vs. LSU or State, you could just make it one permanent and one rotating from the opposite division and get through every team in seven years as opposed to four.

I'd love to see the NCAA's withered remains adjust the bowl participation requirement somehow so that the SEC could have a nine game slate, one home P5 and one away P5 for a total of eleven games before a four-team SEC mini playoff for the conference title. The loss in revenue from the twelfth game (almost guaranteed to be a home game) would be more than offset by the lack of buy-games and what I would imagine as even more lucrative television contracts.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd enjoy traveling to somewhere like Corvallis/Madison every season much more than having the Vols foot the bill for Austin Peay's athletics department.

I don't like either

I either just play a 7 game different schedule yearly and if you're all that then you play Bama, UGA LSU TAM OKla TX or whoever is the best in the SECC. Seems fairer over the long run than one team playing the normal cellar-dweller yearly and one team playing a year in year out championship team.

When you either beat or lose to someone for 15 straight games it is no longer a rivalry. The winner just thinks of it as another game but to loser still thinks of it as a rivalry tho.

Yep, there are very few rivalries where the 2 teams would rather beat the other more than any other team.
I talked to Bama fans and UT is about 4th or lower on their list of hated SEC teams. Auburn, LSU, TAM & UGA. It was not like this in the 1990s and before. We are now over 20 years from being a hated SEC team. Right now we are the next important game it is what it is until it isn't.

I'm sure Greg will give us the three hardest teams to play every year like usual. I personally want texas every year. The Battle of UT

Reactions: onevol74
you could just make it one permanent and one rotating from the opposite division and get through every team in seven years as opposed to four.
Under either 1-7-7 or 3-6-6, you'll either play a team 4 times in 4 years or 2 times in 4 years. Either way, we are going to see every team ALOT. I like that.

Don’t know if this is just for fun, but here are 2 models. The big debate seems to be protecting LSU/Florida.

I hate the idea of expansion. It has done nothing but ruin the series we played with our charter members. There was a time when we began the SEC season by playing Auburn, a team we played every year from 1956 to 1991. A great series gone and for what, to bring in South Carolina and Arkansas. Last expansion further reduced the opportunity to play against our charter SEC teams. This will bring more of the same.

I am an old dog, no new tricks. To me they will always be just Southwest Conference teams playing in the SEC.

I hate the idea of expansion. It has done nothing but ruin the series we played with our charter members. There was a time when we began the SEC season by playing Auburn, a team we played every year from 1956 to 1991. A great series gone and for what, to bring in South Carolina and Arkansas. Last expansion further reduced the opportunity to play against our charter SEC teams. This will bring more of the same.

I am an old dog, no new tricks. To me they will always be just Southwest Conference teams playing in the SEC.

I think that the new scheduling model will make sure that this will be addressed. It sounds like a 4 year player will have played in every SEC stadium by the time he has moved on from his college career. I’m excited about this possibility. It’s absurd that UGA has never travelled to aTm in 10 years. That won’t happen now.

VN Store

Back