'18 NY RB Ramon Jefferson (Sam Houston State transfer)

Even if he is, he's still a true freshman and will make his share of freshman mistakes. We can't lose HH because JWT is lacking in pass protection.
I think your concerns are way over the top…. Freshman running backs played all over the country….. most quite successfully….. look at braelon Allen… he reclassified to 2021 and ran for 1,300 yards for Wisconsin.

We have small Wright…. jaw as the 3rd back…. Sampson should be similar to Wright last season as the fourth running back…. We should be fine.
RB depth was a weakness last season. Who do you see giving us equal production (quality number of snaps) to Tiyon Evans in the RB room (this can be a by committee answer, but must take into consideration that he was the best RB in pass protection.)

I think your concerns are way over the top…. Freshman running backs played all over the country….. most quite successfully….. look at braelon Allen… he reclassified to 2021 and ran for 1,300 yards for Wisconsin.
First off, Wisconsin plays in the Big 10. Secondly, they don't remotely run the same offense that we do. Final point, no one questions if a true freshman can pick up yardage in college. This is about all the aspects of the game when they don't have the football.

We have at least entertained adding a few different RBs (Jahmyr Gibbs, Christian Beal-Smith, Mar'Keise Irving, and Ramon Jefferson). Based on that, I think it's fair to assume the staff wanted to add another RB and are not 100% confident in our current RB depth.

First off, Wisconsin plays in the Big 10. Secondly, they don't remotely run the same offense that we do. Final point, no one questions if a true freshman can pick up yardage in college. This is about all the aspects of the game when they don't have the football.
I should have known that you would use SEC bias….. how about Raheim Sanders Arkansas who ran for close to 600 yards in a similar veer and shoot that we run or barques that ran for 500+ for Auburn.

RB depth was a weakness last season. Who do you see giving us equal production (quality number of snaps) to Tiyon Evans in the RB room (this can be a by committee answer, but must take into consideration that he was the best RB in pass protection.)
We didn’t get quality production from Evans….. he basically had three good games….. Bowling Green… South Carolina and Missouri…. Had 50 yards against Florida… hardly played in the rest of the games. Jabari Small had a similar season to Evans including 180 in the bowl game…. Jaylen Wright was improving at the end of the season and should be better this season…. I will be surprised if JW is not productive as a true freshman…. Dylan Sampson will hopefully redshirt but can still be decent like Wright last year if we encounter injury issues this year.

We have at least entertained adding a few different RBs (Jahmyr Gibbs, Christian Beal-Smith, Mar'Keise Irving, and Ramon Jefferson). Based on that, I think it's fair to assume the staff wanted to add another RB and are not 100% confident in our current RB depth.
We do want one more running back to add to the room but it’s more of a want than a need, imo.

I should have known that you would use SEC bias….. how about Raheim Sanders Arkansas who ran for close to 600 yards in a similar veer and shoot that we run or barques that ran for 500+ for Auburn.
Also, just look at all the Freshmen RBs that have come through GA over the years and had huge impacts

Reactions: volbeast33
We didn’t get quality production from Evans….. he basically had three good games….. Bowling Green… South Carolina and Missouri…. Had 50 yards against Florida… hardly played in the rest of the games. Jabari Small had a similar season to Evans including 180 in the bowl game…. Jaylen Wright was improving at the end of the season and should be better this season…. I will be surprised if JW is not productive as a true freshman…. Dylan Sampson will hopefully redshirt but can still be decent like Wright last year if we encounter injury issues this year.
Evans definitely looked better running though and the offense moved so much better with him in the FL game

Reactions: ChiTownVol
Evans definitely looked better running though and the offense moved so much better with him in the FL game
Small had the better game running the football against Florida but Evans was money out of the backfield…. He barely played half a season so I don’t think he will be that hard to replace.

Have to remember this scheme is ELITE for running the ball. That makes up a LOT in our lack of raw talent.

Last year alone our top 2 running backs (by attempts) averaged over 5.5 ypc. We haven't done that since the Fulmer years (I only went back to 2009 on cfbstats.com). Whoever steps in will do just fine at rushing efficiency. Pass blocking will be the only possible concern.

You can even keep going down the list, Whitehead also averaged over 5.5, granted against lesser competition, but regardless. Even our least efficient runner, Wright, still averaged 4.8 ypc lolol. Compare this to the "big boy ball" Pruitt era...not a single guy over 5.5 ypc.

Did you even read what I said? This is not a matter of ability to gain yardage. There are so many aspects of the RB position beyond rushing statistics once you reach the collegiate level. SEC bias? We face UGA and Bama every year. They are presently the two top overall programs in the country, with Ohio St. being the only program remotely close (Maybe Clemson). We are the only team in the country that can make that claim. I consider that a fact, not bias.

Have to remember this scheme is ELITE for running the ball. That makes up a LOT in our lack of raw talent.

Last year alone our top 2 running backs (by attempts) averaged over 5.5 ypc. We haven't done that since the Fulmer years (I only went back to 2009 on cfbstats.com). Whoever steps in will do just fine at rushing efficiency. Pass blocking will be the only possible concern.
Pass blocking is the major concern. We face whole ass mutants on the opposing side of the ball for most of the season.

Pass blocking is the major concern. We face whole ass mutants on the opposing side of the ball for most of the season.
100%. Think we'll use some rollouts or screens to ease the pressure.

HH on his own does definitely need to improve on not being sacked, as well. Maybe his biggest weakness. Our efficiency is going to be helped by his maturation, which I have no doubt of. He's not quite as slippery as some guys, he'll have to learn to make quick and decisive action...either take off full-go or throw it away if nothing there.

Watch the games he played in. He was our best RB when healthy without question. If circumstances had worked out differently and he hadn't transferred, most everyone would be giddy as hell. Don't fool yourself into believing he wasn't productive.

100%. Think we'll use some rollouts or screens to ease the pressure.

HH on his own does definitely need to improve on not being sacked, as well. Maybe his biggest weakness. Our efficiency is going to be helped by his maturation, which I have no doubt of. He's not quite as slippery as some guys, he'll have to learn to make quick and decisive action...either take off full-go or throw it away if nothing there.
In hoping we move our tight ends into a H- back role more often this year.

VN Store

Back