College Baseball - Transfer Portal Tracker

I would think that every underclassmen catcher worth his salt his trying to learn the lyrics to Rocky Top this week.

The pitchers also lining up to play under Frank as well. But obviously, there is little room in the pitchers’ meeting room

The TN pitching staff should have the best catchers in the country beating down the door to catch for those guys.

It would be the ultimate power move, but I still hate it. First off, you’d have to change the conference name, unless it’s going to be the southeast of Canada conference.

It'll still be the SEC, it'll just stand for Superior Elite Conf. or some other super lame acronym. Maybe Southern Extended Conf. :p

It's a good discussion topic, and it's hard to know exactly what will happen till after the season. I will say that Lawson is 22 right now, and would be 23 after next season. He's not "old" by any means, but scouts tend to value youth and an extra year in college could do more to hurt his draft stock than help depending on how he develops. I know Tom Hart on SECN during the Georgia series said scouts weren't too high on the Tate brothers (who killed us) because both were 23-24 years old. I would think if Lawson projects in those Top 10 rounds, he'd go.

I'm not sure he would go that high, though. If Lawson comes back, Ahuna can play 3rd and Moore can move to the Outfield. Or vice-versa. I really doubt Stevenson goes high enough to leave, so if all of those guys are on the team next season, you'd have Moore, Booker, Stevenson, Backus, and Scott (assume he takes his Covid year) vying for OF spots. Then you have Ahuna and Lawson on the left side of the infield, with Ortega (or Steenstra, if JoJo leaves) at 2B, Burke at 1B. Guessing Dickey is the C unless they pull someone from the portal. If they do, he's in that OF mix. Or the DH. We could also see Stevenson at 2B if Ortega leaves in order to get the best guys on the field.

Looks like a tough lineup again next year, especially if they add a good Catcher and Ahuna.

I'm not sure he would go that high, though. If Lawson comes back, Ahuna can play 3rd and Moore can move to the Outfield. Or vice-versa. I really doubt Stevenson goes high enough to leave, so if all of those guys are on the team next season, you'd have Moore, Booker, Stevenson, Backus, and Scott (assume he takes his Covid year) vying for OF spots. Then you have Ahuna and Lawson on the left side of the infield, with Ortega (or Steenstra, if JoJo leaves) at 2B, Burke at 1B. Guessing Dickey is the C unless they pull someone from the portal. If they do, he's in that OF mix. Or the DH. We could also see Stevenson at 2B if Ortega leaves in order to get the best guys on the field.

Looks like a tough lineup again next year, especially if they add a good Catcher and Ahuna.

Hard to project, but all I know is I'm not worried about what the lineup will look like next year. Tony V will get whoever he wants in the portal, and we'll reload. I will say if Lawson doesn't leave, it feels like Ahuna comes into play SS and Lawson moves to 3B. Not saying that with certainty, but it feels like that's what would happen. Probably not a bad idea for Lawson to show some utility on where he can play either. It would help with his draft stock.

Holy smokes. What a cannon. If this guys comes (and assuming no more transfers, which we know isn't going to happen), what is your 2023 opening day line-up?

Mix and match depending on who leaves early and what combination gets the best players on the field. But here are the possibilities at each position (and I'm basing this on your "if this guy (Ahuna) comes" premise"). A * represents a player who could leave early. I didn't include the guys like Beck and Gilbert who are definitely gone:

C- Jared Dickey or a transfer
1B- Blake Burke/Jorel Ortega*
2B- Jorel Ortega*/Logan Steenstra/Christian Moore/Chase Valentine/Seth Stevenson*
SS- Maui Ahuna/Cortland Lawson*/Chase Valentine
3B- Cortland Lawson*/Maui Ahuna/Christian Moore/Logan Steenstra
LF- Seth Stevenson*/Jared Dickey/Christian Moore/Christian Scott
CF- Kyle Booker/Christian Scott
RF- Christian Moore/Colby Backus/Christian Scott
DH- Jared Dickey/Logan Chambers/Best of the odd man out above

Last edited:
Mix and match depending on who leaves early and what combination gets the best players on the field. But here are the possibilities at each position (and I'm basing this on your "if this guy (Ahuna) comes" premise"). A * represents a player who could leave early. I didn't include the guys like Beck and Gilbert who are definitely gone:

1B- Blake Burke
2B- Jorel Ortega*/Logan Steenstra/Christian Moore/Seth Stevenson
SS- Maui Ahuna/Cortland Lawson*
RF- Colby Backus/Christian Moore/Christian Scott
This seems pretty spot on. I’d add that Chambers can play 2B & LF as well. He supposedly had a hot bat in the fall that didn’t materialize. I wonder if there will be any impact freshmen in this class or if the depth is too strong at this point.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Hard to project, but all I know is I'm not worried about what the lineup will look like next year. Tony V will get whoever he wants in the portal, and we'll reload. I will say if Lawson doesn't leave, it feels like Ahuna comes into play SS and Lawson moves to 3B. Not saying that with certainty, but it feels like that's what would happen. Probably not a bad idea for Lawson to show some utility on where he can play either. It would help with his draft stock.

Agree. We also have Chase Valentine coming in from JUCO as a middle infielder and he's expected to contribute immediately.

This seems pretty spot on. I’d add that Chambers can play 2B & LF as well. He supposedly had a hot bat in the fall that didn’t materialize. I wonder if there will be any impact freshmen in this class or if the depth is too strong at this point.

Yes, I hope Chambers can come around at the plate. He's never been considered great in the field, which is why I only listed him at DH, but if he can come around and be a good switch hitting DH, that'd be great. I also added Chase Valentine to the mix. He's a JUCO and will push for a spot right away.

I have a feeling we'll go for a transfer SS (Ahuna), a transfer catcher, and a transfer OF. I wouldn't be shocked if we also go for a transfer bullpen arm, too. We bring in a nice recruiting class, but not sure how many of those arms will be able to contribute right away and we're going to lose some big bullpen arms this off-season.

I like Booker, but I'm not sold yet on him being a starting OF for us. It might just be because he's been injured and hasn't gotten consistent playing time, but he's had some concerning at bats at the plate this year, so it's hard to say what type of every day player he'll be. Definitely an interesting case though because he certainly has talent.

1B- Blake Burke/Jorel Ortega*
2B- Jorel Ortega*/Logan Steenstra/Christian Moore/Chase Valentine/Seth Stevenson*
SS- Maui Ahuna/Cortland Lawson*/Chase Valentine
RF- Christian Moore/Colby Backus/Christian Scott
I too was thinking Lawson would play 3rd. Good news is we already have our Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starters.

I have a feeling we'll go for a transfer SS (Ahuna), a transfer catcher, and a transfer OF. I wouldn't be shocked if we also go for a transfer bullpen arm, too. We bring in a nice recruiting class, but not sure how many of those arms will be able to contribute right away and we're going to lose some big bullpen arms this off-season.

I like Booker, but I'm not sold yet on him being a starting OF for us. It might just be because he's been injured and hasn't gotten consistent playing time, but he's had some concerning at bats at the plate this year, so it's hard to say what type of every day player he'll be. Definitely an interesting case though because he certainly has talent.

And I'm really interesting to see how Backus' game translates to the SEC. He looks like a stud at Walters State, but Chambers was a JUCO stud too. If it translates, though, that solves one OF spot.

And I'm really interesting to see how Backus' game translates to the SEC. He looks like a stud at Walters State, but Chambers was a JUCO stud too. If it translates, though, that solves one OF spot.
Why didn’t Dickey play backup catcher this year?

Why didn’t Dickey play backup catcher this year?

I think he did catch a few games early in the season during non-conference play. But, he's been battling that bone bruise for pretty much all of SEC play, which obviously impacted any chance of him catching for Russell and giving him an off night.

I think he did catch a few games early in the season during non-conference play. But, he's been battling that bone bruise for pretty much all of SEC play, which obviously impacted any chance of him catching for Russell and giving him an off night.
You’re correct. He caught in the James Madison and Eastern Kentucky games.

I know it's the transfer portal thread, but I think Stanwich and Chapman could also throw their hats in the ring for some PT as freshman.

Another thing to consider both Trey and Jorel rarely played last year. Maybe we have a few with breakout seasons.

I'm hoping that's Tears. Saw him play in the summer a few times. Dude has massive power. Obviously Steenstra, Booker, and Chambers are other good candidates for breakouts.

I think Lawson, Ortega, and Stephenson all get drafted and most likely leave. The MLB punishes Seniors when it comes to signing bonus, but the COVID year of eligibility throws a twist in all this. Not sure how much more those 3 can really improve their stock. I hope I'm wrong, because if by some miracle they're all back...:eek:

I know it's the transfer portal thread, but I think Stanwich and Chapman could also throw their hats in the ring for some PT as freshman.

I'm hoping that's Tears. Saw him play in the summer a few times. Dude has massive power. Obviously Steenstra, Booker, and Chambers are other good candidates for breakouts.

I think Lawson, Ortega, and Stephenson all get drafted and most likely leave. The MLB punishes Seniors when it comes to signing bonus, but the COVID year of eligibility throws a twist in all this. Not sure how much more those 3 can really improve their stock. I hope I'm wrong, because if by some miracle they're all back...:eek:

I think Seth and Cortland are gone, too. Cortland is also 22 already and will be 23 next May, which puts him at a disadvantage in the draft the older he gets. He’s had a really good year, and his defense has been exceptional at a position where defense is hugely important.

VN Store

Back