‘23 AL Cade Phillips (Tennessee commit)

Hard to imagine a triple Alabama legacy wouldn't be a take for them.
Quadruple legacy, really. His dad played QB, his grandfather played DL, his uncle played QB, and his mom played basketball. Brodie Croyle, his uncle, was the #1 QB in the country as a high school senior whose career was sort of wrecked by knee injuries.

Phillips' grandparents and entire family have tried to help a bunch of children through the years. Even Bear Bryant helped fund their original children's home. Crazy respect from me even if they all played at Bama.

Croyle marks 40 years at Big Oak Ranch; son Brodie and daughter Reagan ease into leadership
Yes, I've known about this ministry for several years, now, as I was introduced to it by a friend. This is one of the most solid families you'll come across, Tide roots, or not. Great people.

Quadruple legacy, really. His dad played QB, his grandfather played DL, his uncle played QB, and his mom played basketball. Brodie Croyle, his uncle, was the #1 QB in the country as a high school senior whose career was sort of wrecked by knee injuries.
If the roles were reversed and say this was one of Eric Berry’s sons, I would be pissed at our coaches for not recruiting him hard. It would absolutely make me think less of our coaches and our entire program. Can’t believe Oats didn’t come after him with a full court press

I sometimes wonder how the parents feel about donning the apparel and cheering for their hated rival once their kid decides to go there. I know flesh and blood far outweighs your alma mater, but still, lol.

Not even close. You support your child irregardless. I imagine they aren’t big fans of Oats & his staff right now.

Btw, I think Oats gets outta there soon. He’s done well enough there if a good big Ten job comes along, he’s gone.

I don’t want to screenshot it, because that would be weird, but Edwards posted Phillips commitment edit and said “congratulations brother.” So, I went through and noticed they have interacted with each other a lot on social media. Lol
Trying to remember if they visited the same weekend possibly

For all the ways recruiting has been turned upside down in college athletics, these are kinder, gentler times in at least one respect. On Thursday, Jacksonville High basketball forward Cade Phillips announced a commitment to Tennessee. And good for him, making that decision without a single care as to who else might want him to put a ball in a basket while wearing different colors. He'll wear orange. Anyone who doesn't like it can wear something else.

There was a time when a high school kid choosing the archrival of his home-state school was a lot more complicated.

Phillips' father, former Alabama quarterback John David Phillips, remembers that time. An Anniston native, he came down to Alabama and Tennessee in his recruitment, and recalls then-Tennessee coach Phillip Fulmer trying to convince him that a leap from a crimson state to an orange uniform wouldn't be such a big deal. Phillips knew better.

...Local pressure on recruits isn't what it used to be, and that's a good thing. "With the way the transfer portal is, it's not as bad now. You look on the football side and Alabama's got a good linebacker (Henry To'oTo'o) who was at Tennessee not long ago. I think the portal has numbed it a little bit," said the elder Phillips. "So I'm grateful for that. And we raised him to be his own kid, since he was tiny. I'm insanely proud that he's done his own thing."
Cade Phillips broke an Alabama legacy by picking Tennessee basketball
If I'm remembering correctly, John David Phillips was in the class of 1994... So, things worked out pretty well for Tennessee with QB's that year anyway. LOL.

VN Store

Back