Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

He’s more of a scorer than a distributor, but don’t forget that Tyreke Key can help with bringing the ball up court. He has nearly 100 starts at IS. If he’s recovered from his injury he could be the sleeper in the class. Maybe he’s being overlooked since the previous 6 grad transfers didn’t set the world on fire (although Daniel was pretty good).

John Fields (2010-11), Antonio Barton (2013-14), Ian Chiles (2014-15), Lew Evans (2016-17), James Daniel III (2017-18), and E.J. Anosike (2020-21).

He’s more of a scorer than a distributor, but don’t forget that Tyreke Key can help with bringing the ball up court. He has nearly 100 starts at IS. If he’s recovered from his injury he could be the sleeper in the class. Maybe he’s being overlooked since the previous 6 grad transfers didn’t set the world on fire (although Daniel was pretty good).

John Fields (2010-11), Antonio Barton (2013-14), Ian Chiles (2014-15), Lew Evans (2016-17), James Daniel III (2017-18), and E.J. Anosike (2020-21).
Barton was decent as well, and fields was a shot blocking menace. Didn't play a ton, but made an impact at least.

Reactions: Thunder Good-Oil
That's fine I guess...and I'm not saying KC and Fulky are elite defensive players. But they were two of our biggest contributors last season in that area...I base that not only on watching them, but also on all the production they achieved statistically.

The funny thing is everyone would agree JJJ was our best defensive player last year, and likely will be this season as well. But only 3 of our guys were over 2.0 in defensive win share...and the 3rd was one of the most hated on for his defense. (Santi)
The Vescovi hate is now and has always been irrational. CRB doesn’t throw around hollow compliments to his players and he’s been making positive defensive comments about Vescovi for 2 seasons.

Kennedy Chandler puts up defensive metrics similar to Marcus Smart and better than Yves Pons did last year. He was absolutely elite on defense. It was stronger than his offense imo, which was pretty good. Barnes knew he could trust Kennedy on defense and he played a ton of minutes because of it. ZZ also played elite defense last year but drew a bit easier competition than KC due to coming off the bench and KC having to switch to bigger players when they were both in at the same time.

I'll say Fulky's production will be LESS difficult to replace. Between ON, Uros, Aidoo, and Phillips you'll have plenty of talent and size that can help offset losing him.

KC will be a challenge. I don't think we have anyone on roster (or incoming) that can replace what he brought to the table.

Thus why I (and others) am so locked in on getting someone like Hunter.

It concerns me about ZZ getting exploited on defense if he has to play 30+ minutes a game, and it's just an unknown if BJE is ready to go from day one. At least having Hunter means we can keep everyone fresh, and buffer a short term injury situation.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Key and Vescovi are solid backup point guard options and I would rather save the one scholarship for the 2023 class.

If it goes to someone like Hunter or one of the potential grad transfers who currently still have their name in the draft it would still be available in the 2023 class. Think we’re going to have plenty of available spots next year regardless of what happens to that scholarship.

Thus why I (and others) am so locked in on getting someone like Hunter.

It concerns me about ZZ getting exploited on defense if he has to play 30+ minutes a game, and it's just an unknown if BJE is ready to go from day one. At least having Hunter means we can keep everyone fresh, and buffer a short term injury situation.

But ZZ played great defense last year. He plays much taller than his listed height. He’d maybe be exploited if he had to defend a large guard - but he’d make up for it on the offensive end. I can’t see a 6’2” or larger opponent doing well defending him.

But ZZ played great defense last year. He plays much taller than his listed height. He’d maybe be exploited if he had to defend a large guard - but he’d make up for it on the offensive end. I can’t see a 6’2” or larger opponent doing well defending him.

As long as he is going full speed, I agree, but when fatigue sets in, I could see all sorts of problems arising. He doesn't need to be coasting, but going all out at all times.

Maybe I am projecting something that is not a problem. I won't likely have to worry about it if we get another seasoned PG, with good skills.

As long as he is going full speed, I agree, but when fatigue sets in, I could see all sorts of problems arising. He doesn't need to be coasting, but going all out at all times.

Maybe I am projecting something that is not a problem. I won't likely have to worry about it if we get another seasoned PG, with good skills.

Too many turnovers, but the game is at a different speed and he was late to campus to get the maximum amount of work in to adjust.

I don’t notice his defense dropping off much even after his minutes went up. Seems like he was always a pest and moved well.

What I worry most about ZZ is just how much better he might have been while being on the court with Chandler. Very few opponents had 2 guys on their roster with the speed to stay with those two. Also, there is the frequent sophomore slump.

Adding Tyrese Hunter would be huge to continue with a similar backcourt combination to 2021-22. Chandler was special and will be missed, but ZZ will have a whole lot more experience and have logged a lot of minutes.

Kennedy Chandler puts up defensive metrics similar to Marcus Smart and better than Yves Pons did last year. He was absolutely elite on defense. It was stronger than his offense imo, which was pretty good. Barnes knew he could trust Kennedy on defense and he played a ton of minutes because of it. ZZ also played elite defense last year but drew a bit easier competition than KC due to coming off the bench and KC having to switch to bigger players when they were both in at the same time.
It was crazy how good we were on defense last year considering the bulk of our rotation consisted of a 6ft guy, a 5’9 guy, and a white guard. They were all tremendous and stopping the ball. We didn’t have an elite shot blocker at the rim. The guards and JJJ carried us

What I worry most about ZZ is just how much better he might have been while being on the court with Chandler. Very few opponents had 2 guys on their roster with the speed to stay with those two. Also, there is the frequent sophomore slump.

Adding Tyrese Hunter would be huge to continue with a similar backcourt combination to 2021-22. Chandler was special and will be missed, but ZZ will have a whole lot more experience and have logged a lot of minutes.
I worry about turnovers with him too. He was careless at times with the ball last year. The presence of Chandler helped Santi a ton too. He’s much better off a kick out where he can shoot or pump fake

KC made careless turn overs last year also, sort of the nature of being a freshman IMO. ZZZ should see improvements this season
Something I've noticed, is that very few people who seem to have concerns over ZZ and whatever issues he had, last year, have acknowledged that he came in late (August?) and that he will likely continue to improve his areas of weakness. If there is one position I have absolute faith in Barnes being able to coach up, it's point guard.

IMO, the issue that will always limit ZZ will be his size because he can't change that. His size isn't going to prevent him from playing PG, though. He can clean up the ballhandling. I am fine with him being the starter. My concern is that I don't want him playing 35 mpg at PG. We need someone else, either to start over him, or to spell him. I'm not particularly keen on the idea of that player being a true freshman. I think a lot of people take for granted that we had two freshman PGs log a lot of minutes, last year, with a lot of success, but that is certainly the exception and not the rule.

Something I've noticed, is that very few people who seem to have concerns over ZZ and whatever issues he had, last year, have acknowledged that he came in late (August?) and that he will likely continue to improve his areas of weakness. If there is one position I have absolute faith in Barnes being able to coach up, it's point guard.

IMO, the issue that will always limit ZZ will be his size because he can't change that. His size isn't going to prevent him from playing PG, though. He can clean up the ballhandling. I am fine with him being the starter. My concern is that I don't want him playing 35 mpg at PG. We need someone else, either to start over him, or to spell him. I'm not particularly keen on the idea of that player being a true freshman. I think a lot of people take for granted that we had two freshman PGs log a lot of minutes, last year, with a lot of success, but that is certainly the exception and not the rule.

Thoughtful and solid post.

Reactions: cncchris33
Don’t overlook Key. He’s a solid option too.

None of the film I've watched of Key suggests he's a viable option to run the 1. I just don't see it.

He looks and plays like an undersized 3, which isn't necessarily a bad thing- I'm confident he'll at least be a productive player in some capacity, but running the point? I need some convincing. His assist/ TO ratio is gross

VN Store

Back