Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

I

Phil Fulmer had a record of 152-52 and we fired him. Karen has an even higher win % and I think she is only 54 (?) years old. Coach Barnes is still going strong at age 66. Little Nicky Saban is winning at age 70. I think it is a big early to be playing the age card with Karen. But, she needs to decide if those assistants are who we need with her as the Head Coach and Ralph as a consultant.

I wouldn’t compare football to softball winning percentages as football is harder to get a win. Karen is only 54 I would of thought 64?

They are likely going to hire the Florida State coach, it has been the worst kept secret in softball for the last two months. She may hold out a week or two to see if a couple of other rumored departures take place at a school that she might value more than Texas A&M.

The only thing that will stop her from leaving is if FSU commits hard money and a firm timeline for the facility upgrades that she has been promised now for six or seven years.

That’s what I heard, too.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Who are your picks for Top 5 coaches in softball today? I don't know enough about anyone to have a list myself, but I'm still curious. And when the day comes that CKW does retire (or is replaced), does everyone feel like me, that Tennessee would be considered one of the primo jobs in the country for a really good softball coach?

I wouldn’t compare football to softball winning percentages as football is harder to get a win. Karen is only 54 I would of thought 64?

Mid-50;s I think...???

Consider hiring Jo Evans as an assistant.

And, perhaps also a younger head coach-in-waiting from Oklahoma staff or California.

AD White can pick them!

Last edited:
Not that I'm unhappy with Megan Rhodes, but I've been wondering if we could ever get Monica Abbott to Knoxville to teach pitching. I noticed she's been a volunteer assistant at Cal State Monterrey Beach, but I have no idea if she's good at teaching. Anyone know?

Reactions: Volfan1000
Not that I'm unhappy with Megan Rhodes, but I've been wondering if we could ever get Monica Abbott to Knoxville to teach pitching. I noticed she's been a volunteer assistant at Cal State Monterrey Beach, but I have no idea if she's good at teaching. Anyone know?
I know that she sometimes volunteers at CSUMB because they are in the same region that my school is in. They didn’t make it out of regionals this year. Their pitching was okay, nothing stellar. They had a girl who pitched at missouri in 2019 on their staff.

Reactions: lvocd
Evans brings nothing IMO

Works like heck for Saban. Nicky adds former head coaches to his staff when their stock is down and drains their years of knowledge / experience. And, Jo would be mighty happy to not end her career on a 20-0 note.

I know there has been a lot of back and forth on these boards about Ashley Rogers coming back or not next season. Has anyone heard anything about if KP plans on coming back or not?

Agree on the tough, demanding part in regards to other coaches like Summitt and Barnes and believe the part most of the relating to players is where KW is limited. It's one thing to be a demanding coach, coach players up, tough love and still be able to love them once it is over and put it aside.

From what I read from his players comments, Coach Barnes excels at this. From what I understand he tells them he loves them quite often, but I'm sure that's after he has ridden their butts in practice all day, ha. I'm sure Coach Summit did the same.

Putting this season in the rear view mirror and looking ahead, I’ve only seen 3 of our 10 recruits play. So for those of you in the know, can Pannell step in and play SS and could Rodriguez possibly C allowing Rylie to remain in RF or will Rylie be the C. Not sure where Olivia fits in? I am hoping Karlyn can help immediately but you never know with Freshman pitchers. Ashley may or may not be able to come back, and if she does I think it’s going to be us holding our breath again. You are at the mercy of your back once it starts acting up. Would love a good transfer pickup a la Erin although I don’t think we can expect 19 wins which puts Erin’s season in perspective.

Putting this season in the rear view mirror and looking ahead, I’ve only seen 3 of our 10 recruits play. So for those of you in the know, can Pannell step in and play SS and could Rodriguez possibly C allowing Rylie to remain in RF or will Rylie be the C. Not sure where Olivia fits in? I am hoping Karlyn can help immediately but you never know with Freshman pitchers. Ashley may or may not be able to come back, and if she does I think it’s going to be us holding our breath again. You are at the mercy of your back once it starts acting up. Would love a good transfer pickup a la Erin although I don’t think we can expect 19 wins which puts Erin’s season in perspective.
Pannell can play day 1, Mesusan can play day 1, Pickens can play day 1. After that it’s depth and time needed. I don’t see Underwood being in the lineup.

Did you see the Bama fans and Media ripping Murphy for “abusing” Fouts with all the pitches. They were on that harder than the lost. More causal fans and media also took note of the Ladyvols flame out.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
Serious question. Who are the power brokers for Ladyvols softball? Do we a small group of larger donors or not?

Did you see the Bama fans and Media ripping Murphy for “abusing” Fouts with all the pitches. They were on that harder than the lost. More causal fans and media also took note of the Ladyvols flame out.
I think the Murphy/Fouts situation was simple. We were in the same boat last year if we managed to make the regional final. Is it the right thing to do? Absolutely not, but that’s what happens when you don’t develop depth. Also I heard on a podcast that the reason KB sides didn’t return to Alabama was bc Murphy told her that she wasn’t welcome back for a 5th

VN Store

Back