Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

Vitello and Harper are light yrs ahead of Karen when it comes to relating to and motivating players. That was on full display this weekend watching how the opposing teams players reacted during the games and how TN's players did. One team was fired up to win and one team played scared and hoped to win.

I don't know Karen at all. At. All. But from the outside looking in I get the impression she's got a dry personality, and maybe isn't the dynamic, likeable leader that players are willing to walk through fire for like, for example, Tony Vitello is for his players, or that Kellie Harper is for hers.

If my impression is correct, then I could see how that could become a bigger issue in post-season, when emotions and expectations are naturally ramped up, than early in the season. 'Cause someone who is naturally dry, and who may lean more toward being a hard-ass in the first place, well, sometimes that energy can get too intense and become negative under pressure and then everyone starts feeding off that. That's when the fun leaves and the anxiety rushes in.

I would love to know what the players think. Something obviously happens in the post-season regardless of which group of talented players is on the roster, so you naturally have to look at who or what is the common denominator.

Maybe it's the staff, not the players, who need to spend some time with a sports psychologist! 😲
That is a pretty accurate assessment. There are two sides to her once you get on campus, you are in or you are out and you know pretty quickly which way the wind will sway once you hit the field in the fall. I've known a few different families over the years that have left for a multitude of reasons but the common denominator was they were quickly cast aside as players that were on the out. Some it took a semester while others it took a year or two to finally make the move elsewhere. Some with a little bit of money some as walkons. I've talked to Karen in only a few circumstances over the years and got a genuine feel for her that she is a strong demanding coach with high expectations, and that is no fault at all of hers. Players like Gregg, Ivy, Gibson, M. Shipman, Rogers, Raven just to name a few don't have the same stories as those who left. One theme by those that left is they are in a better place and happy now.

She plays the recruiting game very well one on one and once the offer is there from her it makes it hard to turn down because it's Karen Weekly. I do think in the past she has relied too much on travel coaches recommendations rather than scouring for needs. A few coaches last summer had some hard conversations nothing to lose with her as Tennessee started returning phone calls to teams they didn't give the time of day to a few years prior.

Last edited:
I don't know Karen at all. At. All. But from the outside looking in I get the impression she's got a dry personality, and maybe isn't the dynamic, likeable leader that players are willing to walk through fire for like, for example, Tony Vitello is for his players, or that Kellie Harper is for hers.

If my impression is correct, then I could see how that could become a bigger issue in post-season, when emotions and expectations are naturally ramped up, than early in the season. 'Cause someone who is naturally dry, and who may lean more toward being a hard-ass in the first place, well, sometimes that energy can get too intense and become negative under pressure and then everyone starts feeding off that. That's when the fun leaves and the anxiety rushes in.

I would love to know what the players think. Something obviously happens in the post-season regardless of which group of talented players is on the roster, so you naturally have to look at who or what is the common denominator.

Maybe it's the staff, not the players, who need to spend some time with a sports psychologist! 😲

I also don't know Karen. But, if your impression is correct, then she needs to surround herself with that missing personality.

For a decade, Pat Summitt would rip the girls apart as a hard-ass. But, she usually had someone like Holly working behind the scenes to build them back up.

Phil Fulmer had a record of 152-52 and we fired him. Karen has an even higher win % and I think she is only 54 (?) years old. Coach Barnes is still going strong at age 66. Little Nicky Saban is winning at age 70. I think it is a big early to be playing the age card with Karen. But, she needs to decide if those assistants are who we need with her as the Head Coach and Ralph as a consultant.

I get it. Just very sad though. Nice lady.

Edit: Also regardless of what anyone feels about KW it shouldn't have the appearance of this departure.

These things are always messy when the coach doesn’t want to go. In Evans case, it was way past time. I know one of her former players very well, and she told me firsthand last week that this was about to happen and that she thought it was time, too.

If A&M makes the right hire, they have the potential to be a force nationally…and very quickly.

And if the name I heard comes to fruition, it will make waves throughout college softball.

Last edited:
I've talked to Karen in only a few circumstances over the years and got a genuine feel for her that she is a strong demanding coach with high expectations, and that is no fault at all of hers. Players like Gregg, Ivy, Gibson, M. Shipman, Rogers, Raven just to name a few don't have the same stories as those who left.

On the contrary, pretty much all the players at some point get in Karen's dog house. One of the parents of a player you mentioned told me while she was still here that even she was in Karen's dog house for much of a whole season -- a season where she was an AA. Still, she enjoyed her time at UT, but I got the sense that if it weren't for Ralph she wouldn't have. Ralph tended to have his favorites while Karen was an equal opportunity employer when it came to micromanaging. No idea if she's still this way but I can't imagine it's gotten much better now that she's the only HC.

You can also be a tough, demanding coach that still has the ability to connect with your players, like Pat Summitt and Rick Barnes. Being a demanding coach isn't a fault, but being a coach that can't relate to their players is. Keep in mind that through the years UT has had A LOT of players leave, including players that have started and got a lot of playing time, and even at least one AA that I can think of. I've heard many stories from various sources -- mostly from the parents themselves -- on several boards through the years.

Our 4 senior starters: Amanda ,Ashley, Ivy, and Kelcy were 5-41 in regionals (.122). I know they feel sick about how their careers ended but they are so much more than just softball players and I wish them all the best in their future endeavors. The WHOLE team can’t stop hitting and expect to win. Erin only gave up 3 runs and had she been supported could have won. I’m sure they were pressing but Oregon State had something to do with it. Mazon is legit. Sometimes you gotta tip your cap.

You can also be a tough, demanding coach that still has the ability to connect with your players, like Pat Summitt and Rick Barnes. Being a demanding coach isn't a fault, but being a coach that can't relate to their players is. Keep in mind that through the years UT has had A LOT of players leave, including players that have started and got a lot of playing time, and even at least one AA that I can think of. I've heard many stories from various sources -- mostly from the parents themselves -- on several boards through the years.

Agree on the tough, demanding part in regards to other coaches like Summitt and Barnes and believe the part most of the relating to players is where KW is limited. It's one thing to be a demanding coach, coach players up, tough love and still be able to love them once it is over and put it aside.

Agree on the tough, demanding part in regards to other coaches like Summitt and Barnes and believe the part most of the relating to players is where KW is limited. It's one thing to be a demanding coach, coach players up, tough love and still be able to love them once it is over and put it aside.

Sounds to me like there's a bit of grudge-holding going on. If someone is known for holding on and on and on and on to peeves, aggravations and disagreements, and can't quickly move on from them, then that's definitely a recipe for putting everyone in their circle on edge and fearful of "getting on their bad side" because, once there, they may never get back. We've all met people who make everyone feel as though they are walking on eggshells when they're around, and if that person also happens to be the person in charge? Yikes.

It is concerning to think that some players feel like they get into the doghouse and can never get out. 😢

These things are always messy when the coach doesn’t want to go. In Evans case, it was way past time. I know one of her former players very well, and she told me firsthand last week that this was about to happen and that she thought it was time, too.

If A&M makes the right hire, they have the potential to be a force nationally…and very quickly.

And if the name I heard comes to fruition, it will make waves throughout college softball.
These are the name Extra Inning Softball floated out. I wouldn't be surprised by anyone on the list, but the only three that make sense to me today are Deifel ,Gajewski and D'Amour.
Tim Walton
Lonni Alameda
Beth Torina
Kenny Gajewski

Courtney Deifel
Pete D’Amour
Craig Snider
Rodney DeLong
Sharonda McDonald

Trisha Ford

Reactions: Volfan1000
Sounds to me like there's a bit of grudge-holding going on. If someone is known for holding on and on and on and on to peeves, aggravations and disagreements, and can't quickly move on from them, then that's definitely a recipe for putting everyone in their circle on edge and fearful of "getting on their bad side" because, once there, they may never get back. We've all met people who make everyone feel as though they are walking on eggshells when they're around, and if that person also happens to be the person in charge? Yikes.

It is concerning to think that some players feel like they get into the doghouse and can never get out. 😢
All players are wired different. Some can handle the constant challenge while others can't. Hopefully with the recruitment starting later now and players committing later in their high school career, a little bit of this will be blunted because of better evaluations by coaches and maturity by the players.

These are the name Extra Inning Softball floated out. I wouldn't be surprised by anyone on the list, but the only three that make sense to me today are Deifel ,Gajewski and D'Amour.
Tim Walton
Lonni Alameda
Beth Torina
Kenny Gajewski
Courtney Deifel
Pete D’Amour
Craig Snider
Rodney DeLong
Sharonda McDonald
Trisha Ford

I was also told that A&M prefers a female coach. I think Deifel makes a lot of sense, but I was told that another name on the list would be the top target. And just because a former player thinks that a certain coach is the top target doesn’t necessarily mean that that coach ends up being the one who is pursued or who ultimately says yes.

With the talent in Texas, though, it is a high ceiling job.

All players are wired different. Some can handle the constant challenge while others can't. Hopefully with the recruitment starting later now and players committing later in their high school career, a little bit of this will be blunted because of better evaluations by coaches and maturity by the players.

That is the challenge of coaching. Learning how to coach different personalities and not just having a “one size fits all” approach.

That is the challenge of coaching. Learning how to coach different personalities and not just having a “one size fits all” approach.
Absolutely. Kids/girls today are different, not saying all are the same. But as they got older the more it made sense..."girls have to feel good to play good". There are still some that you can ride, but that only goes so far until the shutdown or quit.

Reactions: lvocd
Absolutely. Kids/girls today are different, not saying all are the same. But as they got older the more it made sense..."girls have to feel good to play good". There are still some that you can ride, but that only goes so far until the shutdown or quit.

Totally agree. Boys or girls, there are some players who you have to ride and others that you have to lift up. A lot of different personalities in this world.

Being a former guidance counselor and coach, “Amen” to that, every single mind is different

Tim Walton
Lonni Alameda
Beth Torina
Kenny Gajewski
Courtney Deifel
Pete D’Amour
Craig Snider
Rodney DeLong
Sharonda McDonald
Trisha Ford
I would take Deifel this very minute on the hill but i understand she really likes the Pigs. I had thought about Walton and i heard maybe Patrick Murphy. If they want a long time hire then Sharonda McDonal of Campbell is a upcoming coach and is well thought of and has a great personality to go with it.

Vitello and Harper are light yrs ahead of Karen when it comes to relating to and motivating players. That was on full display this weekend watching how the opposing teams players reacted during the games and how TN's players did. One team was fired up to win and one team played scared and hoped to win.

I wouldn't put Harper in Vitello's category.

I would take Deifel this very minute on the hill but i understand she really likes the Pigs. I had thought about Walton and i heard maybe Patrick Murphy. If they want a long time hire then Sharonda McDonal of Campbell is a upcoming coach and is well thought of and has a great personality to go with it.

I personally think women are the best coaches for womens sports. I’d look for a young, enthusiastic and engaging woman like McDonald or someone similar…even better if I could get an established coach like Deifel.

We need a coach who relates to the players, makes it fun and knows how to motivate. Lonni Alameda is a model that any young coach should try to emulate. Her players love her.

I ask earlier last week but didn't get any answers so I will ask again. If CKW retires (she's not ready) do we have a coach in waiting? If no, who should we target?

They are likely going to hire the Florida State coach, it has been the worst kept secret in softball for the last two months. She may hold out a week or two to see if a couple of other rumored departures take place at a school that she might value more than Texas A&M.

The only thing that will stop her from leaving is if FSU commits hard money and a firm timeline for the facility upgrades that she has been promised now for six or seven years.

VN Store

Back