Serious expectations of the defense

With the offense being high powered I believe the only way to the next step is with a good defense. Without it 6 or 7 wins are a possibility. Thoughts?

it’ll be the difference between 8 and 10 wins.
Tennessee has to find consistency upfront to take the next step
Do that and everything else will come around. Imo.

Finding quality depth on all the 3 levels is the key and getting 3rd down and 4th down stops are the keys. We are a pretty sold first team defense. I believe we will have a better pass rush and more depth this season. My concerns remain in linebacker depth and secondary. We need the young guys and transfers to really step up this summer and fall.

It’s hard to know enough to “expect” anything going into a staff’s 2nd season. That’s when you should see the biggest jump in improvement as players are now used to systems, culture, etc. We saw it at Ole Miss last year. We’re going to see some development and imrpovement from some individuals we didn’t expect, as well as better team defense for the same reason.

Last edited:
You got to get off the field on 3rd down. Teams saw the weakness in the middle and exploited it repeatedly. They'll test that deal right off the bat this year. Everyone have plenty of film now on what Tennessee runs. Scheme starts to not be as big a part and it's the players after that, at least against the upper crust in this conference. It's simple. Your 11 has to be equal or better than theirs at some point.. With how much time a Heupel defense stays on the field 3 deep is almost a must. That defense was gassed at times last year.

It’s hard to know enough to “expect” anything going into a staff’s 2nd season. That’s when you should see the biggest jump in improvement as players are now used to systems, culture, etc. We saw it at Ole Miss last year. We’re going to see some development and imprisonment from some individuals we didn’t expect, as well as better team defense for the same reason.

I am actually hoping that we don't see any imprisonment from any of our players!

We lost our best Corner and best defensive lineman and we haven’t addressed the quality/ depth issue at the LB position so my expectations are very low. Im usually not a pessimist but I don’t see how these college football prognosticators are so high on us. I’m sure the offense will be high powered and put up serious points but if the defense hasn’t improved I look for results very similar to last year. Hope I’m wrong!

I figure Rodney will have the Dline ready. I expect out Lbers to be a little better; Banks had made some strides as the season went on, we’ve also had some additions at the position. I have very low expectations for our secondary.

Offense wins some games. Defense wins championships. So mediocrity until the defense improves drastically

It is puzzling that we didn't get more help on defense from the transfer portal. Was it that the right fits were just not available? Will more be added later?

It is puzzling that we didn't get more help on defense from the transfer portal. Was it that the right fits were just not available? Will more be added later?

Later this offseason? Unlikely. The portal deadline has passed. Very few guys will become available.

Reactions: LWSVOL
You got to get off the field on 3rd down. Teams saw the weakness in the middle and exploited it repeatedly. They'll test that deal right off the bat this year. Everyone have plenty of film now on what Tennessee runs. Scheme starts to not be as big a part and it's the players after that, at least against the upper crust in this conference. It's simple. Your 11 has to be equal or better than theirs at some point.. With how much time a Heupel defense stays on the field 3 deep is almost a must. That defense was gassed at times last year.
Yeah but, if we can get Jeremy Banks to teach the rest of the team how to lay on a proper pile driver then the opposition might be hesitant to come up to middle.

Jerry Lawler approves of this message.

It really scares me when the entire defense is a question

Thank You Eastknox865. Always smile :) when I see honest comments on VN. I can tell that you are a realist and live with your feet on the ground, vs head in the skies. And while there is nothing wrong for hoping your team is amazing and spectacular, one should have some kind of historic perspective. We have not been amazing and or spectacular for a long time, right?

Reactions: Eastknox865
If the O-line is improved at all, I think we'll actually execute the offense much more effectively this season. Second season is where we start to exploit the nuances, read and communicate more quickly, and run the ball more efficiently. I really think statistically, we'll show better.

Defensively... well, injuries could still do a number on our LB corps, and we'll see how long it takes to replace the senior leadership we enjoyed so much last season. But I think of all the coaches, TB benefitted the most from the statistical evaluation of last season. I anticipate seeing some new wrinkles, but even moreso, the fleshed out expression of a defensive philosophy.

I still think the defensive key will be that freakishly dangerous pass rusher for whom the offense must account, every play.

VN Store

Back