‘22 MN SF DJ Jefferson (Tennessee commit)

KA-BOOM! I wanted this kid, bad. I knew he was a special athlete, that will dunk on you and hurt your feelings. Very good defensive player when he wants to play defense and playing for Barnes, he will want to play defense or we know how that story goes. Jefferson is my 🦒, for this recruiting class. My favorite that will flash, this year, but shine in year 2

Pretty high praise considering this program just had Keon Johnson 2 seasons ago.

I wonder what the context is to that comment? Is it Barnes saying it, or is it his high school coach? Because if that is Barnes, he either mistakenly forgot about KJ, or this kid is off the charts from athleticism standpoint. He certainly shows a high level of athleticism on film, but not anything eye-popping that would lead me to believe we have Keon 2.0. Man, that would be awesome because he is extremely unlikely to bolt after one year like Keon, did.

I wonder what the context is to that comment? Is it Barnes saying it, or is it his high school coach? Because if that is Barnes, he either mistakenly forgot about KJ, or this kid is off the charts from athleticism standpoint. He certainly shows a high level of athleticism on film, but not anything eye-popping that would lead me to believe we have Keon 2.0. Man, that would be awesome because he is extremely unlikely to bolt after one year like Keon, did.
Definitely HS coach.

Thats what I figured. Thanks. Still a great athlete, though.
Yes. Usually when a recruiting article talks about athleticism, it’s a counter to the fact that the player can’t score consistently yet Keon/Mashack/Pons. In this instance, Jefferson also seems to have a nose for creating buckets. He’s still a bit raw, but I think he’ll produce.

Yes. Usually when a recruiting article talks about athleticism, it’s a counter to the fact that the player can’t score consistently yet Keon/Mashack/Pons. In this instance, Jefferson also seems to have a nose for creating buckets. He’s still a bit raw, but I think he’ll produce.
I agree. It tends to be the saving grace when describing kids with undeveloped offensive basketball potential/skills. In addition to your above examples, guys like Cameron Tatum and Josh Richardson come to mind.

Since we’ve been recruiting DJ, I’ve always thought this kid is a killer……a dog….. That dude that wants to lock your best player up, drop some buckets in your mouth, and then tell you and the ref about it. Maybe even your moms if she happens to be there too! Sorry moms, I’m hyped!!! From a personality perspective, he’s my favorite recruit we’ve pulled this year.

Reactions: VolEngineer
Also when that’s said about a recruit you think, “ah this kid probably has no handles”. DJ ain’t Cason Wallace with the basketball, but he’s definitely better than hopson or hubbs in that category, at this point in their careers. Obviously that’s my opinion, but I think that’s pretty evident.

He shoots left, but he seems to almost always finish with his right. It's kind of strange, looks to be right hand dominant when dribbling as well.
That’s me—I don’t know how it happened but I’m a lefty shooter but I’m right handed. I kick left footed too. Great addition for the squad today!

Reactions: HeadVol77
KA-BOOM! I wanted this kid, bad. I knew he was a special athlete, that will dunk on you and hurt your feelings. Very good defensive player when he wants to play defense and playing for Barnes, he will want to play defense or we know how that story goes. Jefferson is my 🦒, for this recruiting class. My favorite that will flash, this year, but shine in year 2
He strikes me as Mashack’s younger brother. If Mashack progresses as we all hope then Jefferson shouldn’t see much pt. If Jefferson makes the rotation then Mashack is probably portal bound

VN Store

Back