Duke/UNC Official Thread 2021/2022 (K’s Last Hurrah Edition)

But what I don't understand is why they need him to be that and do that when they have a bunch of other guys who meet that criteria and can't shoot like him. K behaves as if you need 4 guys who can create on the floor at all times. 3 is plenty.
I hear you, but he didn’t have to be Grant Hill or Jayson Tatum off the dribble. Just serviceable. But he literally gave you nothing if his shot didn’t fall. He was an incredible liability on defense as well. Horrid at times. If you look at guys like Redick or Grayson or Langdon… they could all put the ball on the floor by the time they were past their freshman season. Baker just didn’t have that ability. It’s hard to just plant a guy out at the 3 point line and him never be a threat to do anything else. That typically doesn’t work that well at the highest level unless they’re a 3 and D kind of player and are taking something away on the other end. He gave up more than he got.

I hear you, but he didn’t have to be Grant Hill or Jayson Tatum off the dribble. Just serviceable. But he literally gave you nothing if his shot didn’t fall. He was an incredible liability on defense as well. Horrid at times. If you look at guys like Redick or Grayson or Langdon… they could all put the ball on the floor by the time they were past their freshman season. Baker just didn’t have that ability. It’s hard to just plant a guy out at the 3 point line and him never be a threat to do anything else. That typically doesn’t work that well at the highest level unless they’re a 3 and D kind of player and are taking something away on the other end. He gave up more than he got.

He gave them spacing whether it fell or not, which Duke has desperately needed in recent years. If Zion and Barrett had spacing, that's a title team.

He gave them spacing whether it fell or not, which Duke has desperately needed in recent years. If Zion and Barrett had spacing, that's a title team.
I don’t disagree with the 2018-19 bunch. They could’ve used a a more consistent outside threat. Reddish never fully blossomed into that role consistently but he was the guy they had in mind. Even O’Connell had some athleticism and shot making ability. That season was frustrating because of Barrett for me. Least liked player in my almost 35 years of following Duke. If they had just given the ball to Zion late in the second half against Michigan State, K has 6 rings.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Joey Baker transferring. Sort of odd and not necessarily a huge loss although would’ve been nice to have some older players in Scheyer’s first year. Baker never really did much at Duke… I think it was a case of being rated too high out of high school. He wasn’t terribly athletic and couldn’t put the ball on the floor to save his life. Hope he finds PT in his final year.
AJ Green.

Reactions: NashVol11
Yep, probably saw the writing on the wall.
I was hoping that if Joey stuck around that a mostly new staff might be the fresh start he needed so that he could be a solid contributor. I think most of the time the lights were a little much for him and he never developed into the consistent deep threat that they needed. He basically turned into Jack White with less rebounding . He was an automatic bucket for the other team bc he couldn’t guard and he was so much in his own head he’d turn the ball over multiple times in a 4 minute span. His +/- has to be horrendous. I think that this AJ Green could be a good player and be a bigger contributor. Back to Back MVC POY is solid.

Reactions: Volfan8282
I was hoping that if Joey stuck around that a mostly new staff might be the fresh start he needed so that he could be a solid contributor. I think most of the time the lights were a little much for him and he never developed into the consistent deep threat that they needed. He basically turned into Jack White with less rebounding . He was an automatic bucket for the other team bc he couldn’t guard and he was so much in his own head he’d turn the ball over multiple times in a 4 minute span. His +/- has to be horrendous. I think that this AJ Green could be a good player and be a bigger contributor. Back to Back MVC POY is solid.
Yeah I’m wondering if this is insurance for if Keels stays in the draft. We’d need another ballhandler which this kid fits the bill. But, it doesn’t sound like Keels is lighting up the combine which isn’t a big surprise.

Yeah I’m wondering if this is insurance for if Keels stays in the draft. We’d need another ballhandler which this kid fits the bill. But, it doesn’t sound like Keels is lighting up the combine which isn’t a big surprise.

He’s definitely the insurance. But he might turn out to be a bonus. The Baker news has fueled speculation that Scheyer could wind up with both. Apparently Keels isn’t impressing much of anyone at the combine

I think they can make a run either way, but if I had my pick, I’d rather have a capable backup C/PF but those don’t grow on trees.

If Mayer picks Carolina the Heels could make another run.

We’ll see..
I hate to say it, but they have a good selling point . All they have to say is that he can fill the role left open by Manek. I don’t think he’ll be quite the player as Manek, but he could be a difference maker.

Keels worked out for the Hornets. By all accounts did not have a good combine and seemingly universally is being recommended to go back for one more collegiate season. But everything points to him staying in the draft. The G League games are, well, something.

Keels worked out for the Hornets. By all accounts did not have a good combine and seemingly universally is being recommended to go back for one more collegiate season. But everything points to him staying in the draft. The G League games are, well, something.
Confirmed that he’s staying in the draft. Bad decision, bad advice.

Confirmed that he’s staying in the draft. Bad decision, bad advice.
It can’t be both. Almost universally grades tell him to go back to school.

This seems to be his dream and he’s getting that money. Even though it likely means less money upfront

It can’t be both. Almost universally grades tell him to go back to school.

This seems to be his dream and he’s getting that money. Even though it likely means less money upfront
Yeah I’m just guessing he has someone in his ear telling him it’s a good move. An agent he trusts. A relative he wants to support. Someone. Maybe not. Thought the same thing with Duval. Time will tell.

Yeah I’m just guessing he has someone in his ear telling him it’s a good move. An agent he trusts. A relative he wants to support. Someone. Maybe not. Thought the same thing with Duval. Time will tell.

Back in February I posted that I was told that he quit going to class. So he might not have had a choice. I was also told (by someone who I trust with this sort of thing) that after he got injured at FSU he started to play not to get to get hurt and was only thinking about protecting himself for the draft.

TBH He really only had a few good games this season. Kentucky, @ Clemson and vs UNC in the Final 4. Frustrating as a fan that this is the way he’s being forced to go or choosing to go, because it seems like it would be in his best interest all the way around to return for another year.

Reactions: Volfan8282
Back in February I posted that I was told that he quit going to class. So he might not have had a choice. I was also told (by someone who I trust with this sort of thing) that after he got injured at FSU he started to play not to get to get hurt and was only thinking about protecting himself for the draft.

TBH He really only had a few good games this season. Kentucky, @ Clemson and vs UNC in the Final 4. Frustrating as a fan that this is the way he’s being forced to go or choosing to go, because it seems like it would be in his best interest all the way around to return for another year.
Yep he was one of the more frustrating players to watch at Duke. Showed glimpses of being awesome. He has to develop a consistent outside shot which I think is possible… his form is decent but he has zero arc on his shot. Super flat. He will need to be a bulldog on defense at the next level. He has the body to be that for someone. Lateral quickness is a problem for him, but perhaps losing some weight will help with that. I selfishly wanted him back to team up with Roach. But wish him the best.

AJ Green also staying in the draft. Currently courting Courtney Ramey, transfer out of Texas.

I don’t think the not going to class thing was the issue. Wouldn’t have came down to the wire on the decision and all that imo. I think he’s just always wanted to be an NBA player and he’s taking that chance. Best of luck to him

It helps . Duke is looking like a top 15-20 team right now . Roach needs to be NCAA tournament Roach all season for Duke to have a chance to make a big run.
Yeah I tend to agree. They’ll be super young. First year head coach. Parrish has them at #6 for what it’s worth. I’d probably have them lower.

Getting another guard in Proctor is huge. The lineup is young* but it makes way more sense with Mitchell as a combo forward off the bench.

*I was just thinking yesterday how out of our 12 main guys (with Max Johns transferring from Princeton), we have 3 transfers, 7(!) freshmen and just 2 returning players in Roach and Blakes. I still see top 10-15 if Scheyer can coach though

Getting another guard in Proctor is huge. The lineup is young* but it makes way more sense with Mitchell as a combo forward off the bench.

*I was just thinking yesterday how out of our 12 main guys (with Max Johns transferring from Princeton), we have 3 transfers, 7(!) freshmen and just 2 returning players in Roach and Blakes. I still see top 10-15 if Scheyer can coach though
By the end of the regular season? No chance.

VN Store

Back