Tennessee Lady Vols Softball 2022.

Yes, Danny White will put up with being a top 8 national seed for another year.

Batting average was definitely down this year, they were only 8th in the conference in average. But they were also 3rd in the conference for most of the season in on base percentage. I believe that’s where they finished, but I admittedly have not looked at it in a week or two. It’s all part of the equation.

They were realistically one big hit away from sealing up the Mississippi State game in the first four innings, and needed one hit in either the second or third yesterday to do the same.
I may be wrong but a top 8 will not happen in my opinion.

Gibson earlier when she was going good would drive the ball into right center a lot now not so much.

Puni can drive the outside pitch to the right side to. That shot to 1st base yesterday was a good example. Just was right at the 1st baseman. Wish more of our hitters would do that. A hitting coach can just do so much, the players make the decisions when at bat.

Is there a place in softball for multi-tool players who can slap, amongst other things, like Raven Chavanne or Kat Dotson? Yes. Is there a place for players who are only slappers? Not really, unless you can find one that can hit for a high average, like Fekete or Chiles back in the day. I haven’t seen a very successful, slapper-only softball player in a very long time.

Also, Parsons and Fox aren’t even good slappers. They strike out a lot and don’t hit for a good average.
Kaitlin Parsons is currently batting .279, higher than Davis, West, Gibson and Morgan. While Anna Fox admittedly doesn't have a reputation as a great hitter, her average sits at .313 right now.

Kaitlin Parsons is currently batting .279, higher than Davis, West, Gibson and Morgan. While Anna Fox admittedly doesn't have a reputation as a great hitter, her average sits at .313 right now.

.279 isn't a great BA in college softball, and isn't good for a slapper at all. And none of the players you mentioned have had good years, although Davis has come on very strong during the SEC season, raising her average by about 50 points, hence her being named All-SEC.

Anna Fox has five hits on 16 ABs this season.

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make, but whatever it is seems asinine.

Puni can drive the outside pitch to the right side to. That shot to 1st base yesterday was a good example. Just was right at the 1st baseman. Wish more of our hitters would do that. A hitting coach can just do so much, the players make the decisions when at bat.
Yes that was a really good at bat but bad luck.

I may be wrong but a top 8 will not happen in my opinion.

You may be right, but presently the projections of all three sites that cover the sport have Tennessee as a 7 or 8, as does the USA today Network predictions done by a long time writer in Tuscaloosa. We will find out shortly.

Yes, Danny White will put up with being a top 8 national seed for another year.

Batting average was definitely down this year, they were only 8th in the conference in average. But they were also 3rd in the conference for most of the season in on base percentage. I believe that’s where they finished, but I admittedly have not looked at it in a week or two. It’s all part of the equation.

They were realistically one big hit away from sealing up the Mississippi State game in the first four innings, and needed one hit in either the second or third yesterday to do the same.
Over the last decade or more we don’t show when it counts. Yes we can go 40-15 or whatever. That ends when it counts.

.279 isn't a great BA in college softball, and isn't good for a slapper at all. And none of the players you mentioned have had good years, although Davis has come on very strong during the SEC season, raising her average by about 50 points, hence her being named All-SEC.

The only teams that are having true success slapping are those that still maintain their infield like concrete. When they go on the road face the true softer surface, it cuts down the effectiveness significantly. A lot of small schools do it, because that’s the way their surface is going to be, but it’s just not a thing otherwise. The increased movement you see now from pitchers nullifies the effectiveness that used to come from just getting a bat on a fastball and taking off for first.

I know it kills Ralph to look at a Tennessee lineup without a slapper in it. He told some donors a few weeks ago that he still thinks there should be two or three in every team’s order. Luckily, he doesn’t make that call anymore.

Over the last decade or more we don’t show when it counts. Yes we can go 40-15 or whatever. That ends when it counts.

That’s fine, you don’t have to be satisfied with super regional appearances, I imagine the staff isn’t either. But the question that was asked was will Danny White “put up“ with it? The answer to that, regardless of how some people may feel, is yes. There is not an Athletic Director in the country that is going to fire a coach that consistently makes it to supers. That may be an inconvenient truth, but it’s still the truth.

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make, but whatever it is seems asinine.
You wrote that they "don't hit for a good average". The statistics contradict you. By your argument, half our starting lineup aren't having good years. .279 seems to be an "average" batting average in college softball. And I didn't write that Ms. Fox is a regular hitter. But 5 of 16 is not something to be dismissed so easily. If you will kindly re-read my original post, my point was that there are other hitting options which might be explored when dealing with a team slump.

We need some real confident energy and not the seemingly artificial we’ve had some games. If we somehow do get an 8 we can get this done. Heck, we can get it done with a 9-11. But P-O-D all need to show up on the same day. Really like McKenna but she has 3 hits the last 13 games. Gotta get her dialed in. She’s not the only one. Team needs to be aggressive and swing the bat like they mean it. With conviction! They frustrate me but I’m still all in with them.

Reactions: anecwnrjcns12
We need some real confident energy and not the seemingly artificial we’ve had some games. If we somehow do get an 8 we can get this done. Heck, we can get it done with a 9-11. But P-O-D all need to show up on the same day. Really like McKenna but she has 3 hits the last 13 games. Gotta get her dialed in. She’s not the only one. Team needs to be aggressive and swing the bat like they mean it. With conviction! They frustrate me but I’m still all in with them.
Me too. They can do it.

You wrote that they "don't hit for a good average". The statistics contradict you. By your argument, half our starting lineup aren't having good years.

That's *precisely* my argument. Gibson, Morgan, West, Leach and Davis haven't had good seasons at the plate overall, although Davis had a good SEC season, as did Leach.

.279 seems to be an "average" batting average in college softball.

Average is average, and average isn't good. "Average" in school would be a C, which isn't a good grade. And .279 for a power hitter vs. .279 for a slapper aren't even equivalents, either. That number is worse for slappers, whose only job is to get on base, shorten up their swing and hit singles, not actually drive other runners in.

And I didn't write that Ms. Fox is a regular hitter. But 5 of 16 is not something to be dismissed so easily.

It literally is. We all know Anna is a liability on offense. No idea why you would imply otherwise. If she weren't a liability she would be the starting 2B.

If you will kindly re-read my original post, my point was that there are other hitting options which might be explored when dealing with a team slump.

Maybe sub Parsons somewhere, but she can't get in the lineup because the coaches want Beautae and West in the lineup. The obvious choice would be to put her in the lineup over Gibson, but that would mean putting Parsons at 2B, where she's an error waiting to happen. So you see the dilemma.

It is against everything in me to pull for Oklahoma but if OSU wins they will probably get top 8 over us.

I don't think so. Just my opinion, Missouri messed it up(would have been better if we played Bama). I think OSU probably deserved it.

I think that we have to the contest.
OU, OSU, UCLA, Bama, Arkansas, FSU, Va Tech
My opinion already in.

Now the rest of 'em
ACC
Clemson
Duke

Big 10
Northwestern

PAC-12
Arizona St
Washington

SEC
Lady Vols
Florida

Big 12
Texas

Kenny Gajewski spent time in Knoxville under Serrano (director of op) before heading to Florida under Walton.

Looks like the teams winning this weekend OSU and Clemson will be ahead of us. Prediction we will be a 10th seed.

Boo is a superstar in the making!!!!

Reactions: TouchOfGrey

VN Store

Back