Sensible JG Observations

Why would anyone hold a grudge against JG?
As long as he doesn't trot out in orange with a 10th year of eligibility, more power to him.
I hope he becomes a miracle story in the NFL. He deserves it for persevering. He took a lot of punishment and never gave up.

I quit football my senior year of high school when our coach quit. My family fell apart (and I took 2 chop blocks the Friday before) and it was the final straw and I did not play in our final away game. So I know it happens.

Last edited:
Why would anyone hold a grudge against JG?
As long as he doesn't trot out in orange with a 10th year of eligibility, more power to him.
I hope he becomes a miracle story in the NFL. He deserves it for persevering. He took a lot of punishment and never gave up.

I quit football my senior year of high school when our coach quit. My family fell apart and it was the final straw and I did not play in our final away game. So I know it happens.

Clearly, you haven't seen some of the ugly stuff said of JG on this forum. As for why people do that, all I can offer is, humans gonna human. But there's always that few that not only have good sense, but sense enough to use it.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that JG's issues stem from the beating he took early on and that it got into his head that he was about to get hit and panicked. There is no doubt that he took quite a beating and that no one can question his toughness.

Pruitt always said that he was great in practice, I think that may have to do with the fact that he was never worried about getting hit during practice and he showed what he was capable of doing. That however, did not transfer to the actual games where getting hit was a real possibility.

There was never any need to hate on him as it was Pruitt that kept sending him out there.

I joke about him but it was Pruitt that kept sending him out there week after week. I am sure he did his best.

He was in a bad situation. He was clearly psyched out. Don't know if the players sympathized with him or not. I have wondered what I would have done in his spot. What would you do?

Keep going out there every week and take the verbal abuse after games lost or tell Pruitt I don't want to start anymore. Both are bad choices.

Reactions: jonnon111
Don't blame it on the boy. His coach should have known better than to put him out there week after week. I'm glad we got a do over with Huepel and Hooker!

Clearly, you haven't seen some of the ugly stuff said of JG on this forum. As for why people do that, all I can offer is, humans gonna human. But there's always that few that have not only have good sense, but sense enough to use it.
I've seen it and remember it well. Been mad at the young man and said/typed things myself. But it is stupid to hold on to that stuff.

I honestly believe that JG's issues stem from the beating he took early on and that it got into his head that he was about to get hit and panicked. There is no doubt that he took quite a beating and that no one can question his toughness.

Pruitt always said that he was great in practice, I think that may have to do with the fact that he was never worried about getting hit during practice and he showed what he was capable of doing. That however, did not transfer to the actual games where getting hit was a real possibility.

There was never any need to hate on him as it was Pruitt that kept sending him out there.
Unfortunately for him when you are the QB worrying about getting hit is a major part of the job.

Knowing how some folks are narrow-mindedly unforgiving, insist on negative judgments, I dare say, even Vol-hating, here's a more sensible take former Vols' QB, JG.
Reader speaks out on Jarrett Guarantano. Another fears worst for UT Vols secondary | Adams
Really?

He had fatal flaws. That's not hate. That's not even personal. He didn't play poorly on purpose, to offend Vol fans, or to lose games and get coaches fired. I firmly believe he did his best in every way he could. Coaching didn't help but if it had clicked with him at any point he would have made some coach look like a genius.

How many different OC's, QB coaches, and consultants had to be incompetent for him not to be able to overcome the things that prevented him from succeeding?

He attended and apparently did well at the Manning camp. He had QB gurus work with him in the off season. He gave everything he had to practicing and become a good QB. Therein lies the problem. He was one of the really unique guys who could do the regimen of practice great then have very little of it translate to game play. We saw a degree of that last year. Milton won the practice battle but in live play Hooker excelled while Milton struggled. JG was even more extreme and played for two coaches who simply didn't know when to pull the plug. There comes a time when a leader has to step back and say, "No matter the reason... this just doesn't work". Pruitt and Jones both failed to either have a back up plan or make the call to go to it.

PS- I like a lot of your posts and don't remember whether you were a JG defender or not. But this post reads a lot like someone trying to claim they weren't wrong about the guy.

PSS- I didn't follow him closely after he left UT. But the snippets I saw seemed to suggest that WSU fans were beginning to see the same flaws we saw.

Really?

He had fatal flaws. That's not hate. That's not even personal. He didn't play poorly on purpose, to offend Vol fans, or to lose games and get coaches fired. I firmly believe he did his best in every way he could. Coaching didn't help but if it had clicked with him at any point he would have made some coach look like a genius.

How many different OC's, QB coaches, and consultants had to be incompetent for him not to be able to overcome the things that prevented him from succeeding?

He attended and apparently did well at the Manning camp. He had QB gurus work with him in the off season. He gave everything he had to practicing and become a good QB. Therein lies the problem. He was one of the really unique guys who could do the regimen of practice great then have very little of it translate to game play. We saw a degree of that last year. Milton won the practice battle but in live play Hooker excelled while Milton struggled. JG was even more extreme and played for two coaches who simply didn't know when to pull the plug. There comes a time when a leader has to step back and say, "No matter the reason... this just doesn't work". Pruitt and Jones both failed to either have a back up plan or make the call to go to it.

PS- I like a lot of your posts and don't remember whether you were a JG defender or not. But this post reads a lot like someone trying to claim they weren't wrong about the guy.

PSS- I didn't follow him closely after he left UT. But the snippets I saw seemed to suggest that WSU fans were beginning to see the same flaws we saw.
He was replaced and retired at WSU after 3 interceptions in a game and a game loosing pick six late in the game to an inferior team. And he didn’t ever attempt to make a tackle after any of his frequent interceptions. He should have never been the starting qb here - no matter how much he pouted. Hope he does well in life -
He was the anti - H Hooker.

He was replaced and retired at WSU after 3 interceptions in a game and a game loosing pick six late in the game to an inferior team. And he didn’t ever attempt to make a tackle after any of his frequent interceptions. He should have never been the starting qb here - no matter how much he pouted. Hope he does well in life -
He was the anti - H Hooker.
I thought he got injured at WSU?

I've read stuff like that about him pouting but I haven't seen proof and honestly it doesn't matter. People react in different ways and then others judge them based on how they think they would react in the same situation. JG put up with about as much crap as anyone I've ever seen and kept trying. He just couldn't do the job.

VN Store

Back