Kellie and next year's returning players

Powell should be able to win the PG spot. She is a true PG and has experience. IMO Walker should be playing the 2 spot anyway.

Walker is a natural 2. From what I recall she never played PG until she came to UT.

Based on the 3 on 3 squad I suspect Powell will be our starting PG.

I think Kellie has Puckett, Wynn, Walker And Key on there because she wants to build some rapport within that group. Makes me think Puckett, Wynn and Walker will likely be first off the bench next season. Along with Miles most likely.

Some of the others are really going to have to earn their time in practice unless we are ahead in a lot of games. Would love to see a team next year that puts teams away. We had way too many games that came down to the final 5 minutes last season and it limited our ability to play the bench pretty often.

I hope Wynn has developed a dependable outside shot...

I think an outside shot from her is a big ask by next season. I’d love to see her with a beautiful rise and fire mid-range jumper.

She could develop a serviceable outside shot by her senior year, but based on last season it is unlikely she’ll be an outside shooter next season.

I think an outside shot from her is a big ask by next season. I’d love to see her with a beautiful rise and fire mid-range jumper.

She could develop a serviceable outside shot by her senior year, but based on last season it is unlikely she’ll be an outside shooter next season.
I think while she is working on her shooting skills, it could be much quicker and easier to develop a full range of dribble and penetrate moves and shots, as this is where she could already help our team offensively moving forward. That would include all kinds of off balance shots with either hand as well as finishing shots at her fastest speed. I would also love for her to vary her speed to confuse defenders and then suddenly go to her top gear at an unexpected moment. This could be fun to watch.

I think while she is working on her shooting skills, it could be much quicker and easier to develop a full range of dribble and penetrate moves and shots, as this is where she could already help our team offensively moving forward. That would include all kinds of off balance shots with either hand as well as finishing shots at her fastest speed. I would also love for her to vary her speed to confuse defenders and then suddenly go to her top gear at an unexpected moment. This could be fun to watch.

Yes, a la Kennedy Chandler. I can see it.

Walker is a natural 2. From what I recall she never played PG until she came to UT.

Based on the 3 on 3 squad I suspect Powell will be our starting PG.

I think Kellie has Puckett, Wynn, Walker And Key on there because she wants to build some rapport within that group. Makes me think Puckett, Wynn and Walker will likely be first off the bench next season. Along with Miles most likely.

Some of the others are really going to have to earn their time in practice unless we are ahead in a lot of games. Would love to see a team next year that puts teams away. We had way too many games that came down to the final 5 minutes last season and it limited our ability to play the bench pretty often.

I think by default whoever is backing Key will be first off the bench in many games, given Key's propensity for acquiring quick fouls. But agree Puckett will be first off the bench most nights, if she isn't a starter.

Reactions: glv98
True... I had forgotten about her. I guess i was thinking in terms of scholarship players but i am sure she will be valuable in her role as well.
Watch latest HUDL highlights of senior year on Edie Darby & she missed several games due to injury & illness; smart player, great moves, sees the floor exceptionally well.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
1: Walker, Powell, Miles, E. Darby
2: Horston, Wynn, Pissott, Rennie
3: Jackson, Darby, Pissott, Puckett/Suarez
4: Puckett, Franklin, Suarez
5: Key, Striplin, Franklin

Now that’s what I call a depth chart! Hard telling how the minutes will shake out.

The Point Guard and 4 spot are going to be interesting to watch in particular. I think both Powell and Franklin have significant starter potential.
The good part about that is, there is hardly any of them at this point that I would think, 'Oh no, why are they putting her in?'

Reactions: VolBall09
The good part about that is, there is hardly any of them at this point that I would think, 'Oh no, why are they putting her in?'

Exactly. That’s the beauty of this situation. We really only have one player on the roster who is out of her league. Seems Rennie is happy just getting an education and being a great teammate.

The rest of these gals can really play and all have the potential to make huge contributions.

Reactions: Cees
By mid season, I believe Pissott will be getting a lot of minutes of playing time. This lady is just too good to sit on the bench very long.

Reactions: Cees
Watch latest HUDL highlights of senior year on Edie Darby & she missed several games due to injury & illness; smart player, great moves, sees the floor exceptionally well.
No need to be talking about a walk-on. There is a reason she isn’t on scholarship. The only floor time she will see will be in blow outs, if then. She should not be included on anyone’s depth chart.

No need to be talking about a walk-on. There is a reason she isn’t on scholarship. The only floor time she will see will be in blow outs, if then. She should not be included on anyone’s depth chart.
Crabby butt, we should all put her on our charts!

Reactions: GameTime
Crabby butt, we should all put her on our charts!

Maybe a bit crass in how he said it, but he’s actually right. Usually a preferred walk-on understands they will not see the floor except for maybe some major blowouts in the early season. I would expect Edie to play more than about 30 minutes total the entire season.

Maybe a bit crass in how he said it, but he’s actually right. Usually a preferred walk-on understands they will not see the floor except for maybe some major blowouts in the early season. I would expect Edie to play more than about 30 minutes total the entire season.
I understood all of that. Just don’t see any reason to be nasty about a 17 year old who is bypassing playing time at other schools because she loves the Lady Vols. And….. you never know.

What an assine, and hateful comment! I seriously doubt you ever played it, coached, or asserted yourself athletically. To assume this means you believe Kellie told her as much, and that never happened. Kellie obviously told her she wanted her here. She obviously told her she has major potential.

I look at legs on athletes to get a feel for conditioning. This bunch has healthy legs fo sho. If the WNBA does not want or pay Tamari what she's worth get that girl in the WWE or AEW, she'd be a superstar either place.

Remember our coach's frequent comments her first year about the team Needing to look to her for direction on the court. She no longer has to teach/preach the importance of on the court communication. She will only have 1 or 2 freshmen to orient. Hopefully, Powell will mesh with the expectations of her new coach, given her "inability to please" her former coach - also a point guard.

my questions, independent of positions,

who would be your first five in playing full-court defense?

2- 3 zone ?

Nice looking group of young ladies ! And there is more coming…… 🤔 This will be the most depth we have seen in awhile…. Plus they all can contribute in their own ways … Will we press full court ? All of the game ? What a nightmare for our competition. Can’t wait 😛
Key looks like she grew taller if that is possible…and I will get blasted for saying this but Marta sure looks beautiful, Tess also. They all do actually. What a group, UT fans will have an exciting year following them in 2022-2023…..big time team.

Last edited:
Key looks like she grew taller if that is possible…and I will get blasted for saying this but Marta sure looks beautiful, Tess also. They all do actually. What a group, UT fans will have an exciting year following them in 2022-2023…..big time team.
Let’s not get over our skis . Lot of work still to be done.

Jajuan Smith was a walk on with the men's team as well and he became an all SEC player and he was put on scholarship. Your comment was unnecessary

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I understood all of that. Just don’t see any reason to be nasty about a 17 year old who is bypassing playing time at other schools because she loves the Lady Vols. And….. you never know.
Get over yourself. I wasn’t being nasty about anyone. The self-proclaimed basketball Gods on this forum who obviously know nothing about basketball were the ones I was addressing with my post. I can’t help that you have a problem with FACTS!
If you doubt what I’m saying, go back to the days of Amanda Canon and Sarah Edwards and look at their playing time! Those rosters weren’t nearly as deep as next year’s will be!

Last edited:
Reactions: Darth_Vol

VN Store

Back