Grant Williams is the best NBA basketvol since…

Johnnyreb#VFL

Work like heck
I know there are probably other threads and convos started on this, so mods merge as needed…But dang this dude is PRODUCING in a major way. Even with the loss tonight, he’s proven MUCH more than a role player and has a bright/long NBA future. And he’s doing all of this en route to another Celtics NBA championship under the bright lights in the most clutch time, which doesn’t really surprise us true Basketvol fans. Grant is such a unique player GBO 🍊 🍊

Last edited:
Tobias is the best NBA player from UT right now but since he played here only 1 season Grant is more of a Vol to me. Tobias came in as a 5 star but we got to see Grant develop step be step. I think he is still growing both offensively and defensively. His ability to guard the strongest players in the league should get him a huge contract.

Lol, he's not the best Vol in the NBA right now. That's not a shot on Grant, but I'm guessing OP forgot about Tobias Harris.
True lol. Guess Grant was more endearing but I did get to see Tobias play in TBA his freshman year against UK fwiw. Both are phenomenal players and great ambassadors

Lol, he's not the best Vol in the NBA right now. That's not a shot on Grant, but I'm guessing OP forgot about Tobias Harris.

To be fair, Harris was a Top 10 Player out of high school.

Williams was ranked very low so there wasn’t a lot of hype around him at the time.

Sixers fans also hate Tobias Harris and wish they had given Jimmy Butler the max contract instead of him whereas Grant seems to be a fan favorite, just my two cents.

Tobias is the best NBA player from UT right now but since he played here only 1 season Grant is more of a Vol to me. Tobias came in as a 5 star but we got to see Grant develop step be step. I think he is still growing both offensively and defensively. His ability to guard the strongest players in the league should get him a huge contract.

If you are not enamored with Tobias because of the one and done and the "We hardly knew you". The NIL will not be your friend a lot of players will be moving yearly via Portal we had 5 exits this year. I mean if you are going to be on top the players will have to move hook or crook. This happening is why some people are soured on the new college sports but it is what it is, we will learn to like it.

If you are not enamored with Tobias because of the one and done and the "We hardly knew you". The NIL will not be your friend a lot of players will be moving yearly via Portal we had 5 exits this year. I mean if you are going to be on top the players will have to move hook or crook. This happening is why some people are soured on the new college sports but it is what it is, we will learn to like it.

You are correct about the NIL but with Tobias I can't seem to remember 1 game he played in. Maybe I am too old. I can name 20 big games that Williams played and probably, more if I think a while.

You are correct about the NIL but with Tobias I can't seem to remember 1 game he played in. Maybe I am too old. I can name 20 big games that Williams played and probably, more if I think a while.
It probably also didn't help that the one year Tobias was here was Bruce Pearl's last year, which is a pretty forgettable year. Or at least one I try not to think too much about anyway

Reactions: spyfish007
It probably also didn't help that the one year Tobias was here was Bruce Pearl's last year, which is a pretty forgettable year. Or at least one I try not to think too much about anyway

Tobias wasn’t a flashy player either. He was this incredibly fundamentally sound and consistent player. Like a 5th year senior, but a freshman.

I know there are probably other threads and convos started on this, so mods merge as needed…But dang this dude is PRODUCING in a major way. Even with the loss tonight, he’s proven MUCH more than a role player and has a bright/long NBA future. And he’s doing all of this en route to another Celtics NBA championship under the bright lights in the most clutch time, which doesn’t really surprise us true Basketvol fans. Grant is such a unique player GBO 🍊 🍊
Bernard King

True lol. Guess Grant was more endearing but I did get to see Tobias play in TBA his freshman year against UK fwiw. Both are phenomenal players and great ambassadors

Is Tobias a great ambassador? Does he ever go back? Just asking. I really don't know.

I expect we'll develop a new shorthand: VFLs, VF1s, VF2s, etc.

I expect we'll develop a new shorthand: VFLs, VF1s, VF2s, etc.

Yep, it will evolve over the years and there will probably be something like a number system categorizing players with respect to their allegiance to the school vs money/playing time first group. Like I said we will learn to like it but never love it like a bygone era, JMO.

Reactions: BruisedOrange
Grant Williams might already be better than Tobias Harris. Tobias is a better player in a traditional sense. You can run the offense through him and he has a long history of being an efficient scorer and fitting in well with a bunch of different teams....

...but Grant Williams has proven he can defend Giannis and Durant about as good as anybody in the league. The Celtics have to go through Giannis to win a title for the foreseeable future. Williams definitely has more value to the Celtics than Harris has to the 76ers.

VN Store

Back