Jillian Hollingshead commits to Tennessee

Key
She does not destroy the Lady Vol Block record without the speed and fluidy she has in the paint to recover and get into position to block shots. That is who everyone is watching. Shot blockers have to move and recover quickly to get into position. If tamari was slow, she would not have led the nation in blocks. Candace had held the record due to her foot speed and ability to recover in the paint and defend along with her length. Thats right, She is in the same sentence as Candace Parker in the category of blocks and it is all about timing, quickness and the ability to recover to defend the rim. There are other posts that are Tamaris size or bigger that actually could not move well at all and that is why they did not lead the nation in blocks. 6-9 Nancy Mulkey for instance or 6-6 Elizabeth Kitly.
Stop making-up stuff people! She didn't lead nation in block shots, she was 3rd! She ain't 6ft 8, 7ft2 or have 13ft wing span, nor average double anything

Reactions: sisaq
Then no one's watching her mechanically. Her hip-knee-ankle ratio is much less dramatic than Russell's was and her quick-twitch movements are much faster, thus her in-paint ability to cover space.

No she won't win a down-court foot race with the guards and forwards, but her mechanics when moving short distance and her fluidity of mechanics when running are great for an extra-tall big.

When she gets to the W, she will be taught a little more properly on how to use this God-given structure.

So I fat-fingered a 5 instead of a 6...sue me!

I'm amused by pseudo-technical blathering such as her "hip-knee-ankle" ratio. Mind you, I am not trying to criticize Key; in fact, I fully appreciate what she does for the team. She's certainly a major defensive asset, with her size, and she's certainly improved the last couple of years. But let's not exaggerate her skille-set or make statements that aren't valid. Key does not have "quick-twitch." Indeed, her lack of "quick-twitch is precisely why her offensive game is so limited. That said, with continued work on offensive moves--and being quicker with her movement when she gets the ball in the paint is /precisely/ what she should concentrate on--she could be more of an offensive force next year, and that would be a great thing for the team.

I wouldn't insult someone's basketball IQ when you distort and make up facts. TK. has never averaged double anything ( nor lead team in rebounding, Horston was prior to injury, and Davis the other 2 yrs), but minutes. TK isn't listed as 6-8 anywhere, that is pure fabrication as well. TK is however fast and agile. Her passing back out skills need improvement.

What is fact is that TK averaged double figures in scoring this year. i don't know where the she didn't average double anything fabrication came from?

She averages 10.5 pts per her profile

Tamari Key - Women's Basketball - University of Tennessee Athletics

Key

Stop making-up stuff people! She didn't lead nation in block shots, she was 3rd! She ain't 6ft 8, 7ft2 or have 13ft wing span, nor average double anything
Here is last years shot block leaders 1-3 from D-1 stats.
1Tamari Key
tennessee.svg
TennesseeJr.6-6C 119 2Lucy Cochrane
portland.svg
PortlandJr.6-6F 114 3Akila Smith
longwood.svg
LongwoodSr.5-10F 96

SMH. Seriously, are some people really suggesting that Tamari Key is going to fall way down the LV's depth chart?

So, let's sort this out.

TK (aka the only LV with multiple triple double games and the LVs single season and career shot block record holder) is going to start. She will be an integral part of the team. In some games for some stretches, the LVs might go with a smaller line-up but the bread and butter core is going to revolve around Tamari.

Last edited:
I'm amused by pseudo-technical blathering such as her "hip-knee-ankle" ratio. Mind you, I am not trying to criticize Key; in fact, I fully appreciate what she does for the team. She's certainly a major defensive asset, with her size, and she's certainly improved the last couple of years. But let's not exaggerate her skille-set or make statements that aren't valid. Key does not have "quick-twitch." Indeed, her lack of "quick-twitch is precisely why her offensive game is so limited. That said, with continued work on offensive moves--and being quicker with her movement when she gets the ball in the paint is /precisely/ what she should concentrate on--she could be more of an offensive force next year, and that would be a great thing for the team.

her offensive game is limited bc her offensive mechanics aren't perfected,,,she most of the time shoots a jumphook with two hands,,, she has difficulty gathering a pass with one hand and bringing it to the other hand,,,, and she has no move/counter move. (when you have a go-to move, it has to have an opposite direction counter go-to move to be effective. e.g..if your go to move is a left-pivot jump-hook, a counter move would be something like a right-pivot-fade. This makes the defender have to respect both directions

the proper term for this ratio is D-FROM..

Ankle Dorsiflexion Affects Hip and Knee Biomechanics During Landing - PubMed

Background: Restricted ankle dorsiflexion range of motion (DFROM) has been linked to lower extremity biomechanics that place an athlete at higher risk for injury. Whether reduced DFROM during dynamic movements is due to restrictions in joint motion or underutilization of available ankle DFROM motion is unclear.

Hypothesis: We hypothesized that both lesser total ankle DFROM and underutilization of available motion would lead to high-risk biomechanics (ie, greater knee abduction, reduced knee flexion).

41WP3cq2NlL._AC_.jpg

tamari 002.jpg

There is less D-FROM in Key than in Russell

Last edited:
Reactions: youcancallmeAl
I could never listen to Dr Phil because he was making money talking about what was wrong with people he had never examined. If you medical degree is from the university of the internet your observation carry about the same weight

Reactions: FrozenLVFan

Background: Restricted ankle dorsiflexion range of motion (DFROM) has been linked to lower extremity biomechanics that place an athlete at higher risk for injury. Whether reduced DFROM during dynamic movements is due to restrictions in joint motion or underutilization of available ankle DFROM motion is unclear.

Hypothesis: We hypothesized that both lesser total ankle DFROM and underutilization of available motion would lead to high-risk biomechanics (ie, greater knee abduction, reduced knee flexion).

41WP3cq2NlL._AC_.jpg

View attachment 453682

When Key gets to the league and is able to just be in attack mode without being called for fouls, she’ll be fine. I think it was @stlvolsfan who in the last Twitter spaces(Sundays @ 7:30) who mentioned the rebound she snatched in the Buffalo game that made many of us jump from our feet because of the attitude and energy it exuded.

SMH. Seriously, are some people really suggesting that Tamari Key is going to fall way down the LV's depth chart?

So, let's sort this out.

TK (aka the only LV with multiple triple double games and the LVs single season and career shot block record holder) is going to start. She will be an integral part of the team. In some games for some stretches, the LVs might go with a smaller line-up but the bread and butter core is going to revolve around Tamari.

She is the aircraft carrier of the fleet and the straw that stirs the drink. I recall how last year, when she was out of the game, we looked like any other generic/vanilla WBB team.

her offensive game is limited bc her offensive mechanics aren't perfected,,,she most of the time shoots a jumphook with two hands,,, she has difficulty gathering a pass with one hand and bringing it to the other hand,,,, and she has no move/counter move. (when you have a go-to move, it has to have an opposite direction counter go-to move to be effective. e.g..if your go to move is a left-pivot jump-hook, a counter move would be something like a right-pivot-fade. This makes the defender have to respect both directions
I think she needs to strengthen her hands and forearms to catch, rebound and shoot better. I think one reason she isn't a dominant offensive player - like she is on defense - is a lack of strength in those areas.

41WP3cq2NlL._AC_.jpg

View attachment 453682

DFROM = dorsiflexion range of motion. Ankle DFROM is a measurement in degrees of the angle produced when someone dorsiflexes their ankle, i.e. bends their distal foot and toes up towards their kneecap. It's not a ratio of anything.

Here's a photo from the crap paper you cited showing how the authors measured dorsiflexion. (Yeah, I actually looked up the entire paper, not just the title of a preprint summary on PubMed.)
1652027783177.png
The DFROM is the angle of the left leg at the ankle.

Neither photo of Russell or Key shows either of them dorsiflexing their ankles, so I don't know how you concluded Key's DFROM is less than Russell's.

Reactions: LadyVol1908
DFROM = dorsiflexion range of motion. Ankle DFROM is a measurement in degrees of the angle produced when someone dorsiflexes their ankle, i.e. bends their distal foot and toes up towards their kneecap. It's not a ratio of anything.

Here's a photo from the crap paper you cited showing how the authors measured dorsiflexion. (Yeah, I actually looked up the entire paper, not just the title of a preprint summary on PubMed.)
View attachment 453786
The DFROM is the angle of the left leg at the ankle.

Neither photo of Russell or Key shows either of them dorsiflexing their ankles, so I don't know how you concluded Key's DFROM is less than Russell's.

The poster in question got hung up trying to use technical terms that he did not understand but that fault aside, he is not completely wrong. I think exercise physiologists doing a comparison of Russell and Key would conclude that Key has better biomechanics in her running and jumping motions. You can see from the picture that CJ posted that Russell's knees collapse in (knock Knee or genus valum):

A person with knock knees (genu valgum) has a large gap between their feet when they're standing with their knees together.

This condition can hamper athletic performance, though athletes can find ways to compensate for it. However, the misalignment, which runs across the lower back, hips, knees and ankles, can also predispose an athlete to injuries. I would bet the MR does a lot of physical rehab work to maintain a functional level of muscle balance to compensate for these misalignments.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
We sorta lower the IQ of bball conversations when we suggest Key will not be starting or be a massive part of any future success. They all need to improve in certain areas, but let's not overstate it. Key is a top 5 WNBA draft pick and changes the game when she is in the paint. Defensively, she will allow the guards to apply massive amounts of pressure to the perimeter. Offensively, teams will often send two or more players to guard her when she catches the ball, which will leave open multiple scoring threats next year.

Also, I could totally see both Key and Hollingshead on the court at the same time. Very different players.

The poster in question got hung up trying to use technical terms that he did not understand but that fault aside, he is not completely wrong. I think exercise physiologists doing a comparison of Russell and Key would conclude that Key has better biomechanics in her running and jumping motions. You can see from the picture that CJ posted that Russell's knees collapse in (knock Knee or genus valum):

This condition can hamper athletic performance, though athletes can find ways to compensate for it. However, the misalignment, which runs across the lower back, hips, knees and ankles, can also predispose an athlete to injuries. I would bet the MR does a lot of physical rehab work to maintain a functional level of muscle balance to compensate for these misalignments.

Thank you for better explaining what I was trying to convey
I should have taken more time on my search...bygones

So you basically agree with my point, which is obvious: She is an excellent rim-protector on the defensive end but VERY limited offensively because she has ZERO quick-twitch--all of her movements (feet, torso, arms, hands--are
s-l-o-w. How you could claim that she HAS quick-twitch is beyond me. Feel free to break it all down biomechanically, if you wish--but the eye-test works quite well if you've been around sports for a while. There were several games last year when she had only 1 made basket. She averaged 10 points a game last year--and half those points came at the free-throw line, meaning that the biggest/tallest person on the court averaged about 2 made baskets a game. That's pretty telling with respect to athleticism/skill-set. If she were more athletic, had more quick-twitch movement and a couple of good post moves, with her size she could EASILY average 20 a game. Russell was better offensively--moved a bit better. Key reminds me of a very big center we had years ago whose name, as I recall, was Cain. I'm not really into a detailed deconstruction of player skill-sets, but have to challenge--politely, I hope--assertions that, IMO, are not valid. We can now....move on. Key has improved incrementally, and so I expect her to be better next year, and that's a good thing....You can only hope that players get a little better year over year, and she's done that.

Key has improved incrementally, and so I expect her to be better next year, and that's a good thing....You can only hope that players get a little better year over year, and she's done that.
Agree. I'm hoping Key has a Jordan Horston moment early on this coming season. It's been a long, sometimes painful journey trying to get both those players consistently up to their potential. Seems like it happened for Horston just before she got hurt, and you can easily see that carrying over. Key shoots fts well and has a very nice midrange which we all agree needs to be seen way more. She's really just a few post moves and a little bit of pass catching ability away. She'll be surrounded by better players who will require more defensive attention and has solid backups, so she has every opportunity, I hope those of us doubting her O skills will have these posts fed back to us as "didn't age well" early and often this fall.

If you're directing this towards me, then you might want to reconsider your statements.

Just because she isn't listed at that height, doesn't mean that she isn't. Standing next to John Harper SHOWS you that she's ALMOST - ( A synonym to ABOUT) - 6'8", which is what I said. If you've measured her exact height, good for you! However, I don't think that's the case. It's pretty common in the women's game to exaggerated height in both ways. Shorter players want to be listed taller and taller players want to be listed Shorter.

And YOU can check the Facts! Tamari averaged 10.5 - (DOUBLE FIGURES!) - points per game this past season, so I guess your intelligence isn't worth insulting after all or maybe your IQ isn't as high as you thought. Maybe take a Certified IQ Test next time. Also I NEVER said that She led the team in Rebounding, so perhaps after you get done with the Certified IQ Test, you might want to get your eyes checked as well. I stated that She's the leading "Shot Blocker in UT History" Another FACT!

Is there a reason pos
If you're directing this towards me, then you might want to reconsider your statements.

Just because she isn't listed at that height, doesn't mean that she isn't. Standing next to John Harper SHOWS you that she's ALMOST - ( A synonym to ABOUT) - 6'8", which is what I said. If you've measured her exact height, good for you! However, I don't think that's the case. It's pretty common in the women's game to exaggerated height in both ways. Shorter players want to be listed taller and taller players want to be listed Shorter.

And YOU can check the Facts! Tamari averaged 10.5 - (DOUBLE FIGURES!) - points per game this past season, so I guess your intelligence isn't worth insulting after all or maybe your IQ isn't as high as you thought. Maybe take a Certified IQ Test next time. Also I NEVER said that She led the team in Rebounding, so perhaps after you get done with the Certified IQ Test, you might want to get your eyes checked as well. I stated that She's the leading "Shot Blocker in UT History" Another FACT!
Is there a reason some posters are no longer using the reply feature while responding to another specific post? It makes it difficult to keep track of the discussion.

I believe Key's offensive production is more a reflection of the team's poor passing and lack of precision offense. The three second rule demands that as Key moves into the paint and establishes her self as a scoring target the other players must move the ball in synch with her and deliver the ball at a precise time and location. In order to accomplish this all team members must be recognized as legitimate scoring options preventing double teaming of Key. Our wings, guards and 4 postion must be tall enough to see and pass over a harassing defender. Next years team, on paper at least, meets all of these requirements. Now we need practice repetitions until it becomes rote.

VN Store

Back