Couple pics from the stadium today

It is a status symbol to recruits also. Who is lining up to play at Vandy, Mizzou, or Ole Miss?
That definitely used to be true. I'm not sure that it is anymore. Even among recruits, I think having nice aesthetics and modern amenities have supplanted stadium capacity bragging rights. Times change.

Reactions: 615vols
It is a status symbol to recruits also. Who is lining up to play at Vandy, Mizzou, or Ole Miss?

No it’s not. You honestly believe recruits are thinking “forget the nil money, the facilities, the staffs ability to send me to the pros, or the chance to win a championship. Who has more seats in their stadium?”
Being over 100k isn’t some bragging right anymore, no one cares. Now it’s all about the game day experience and competing with watching from home in 4k. That’s why you see Tennessee tearing seats out to add standing room bar areas and adding light shows, etc.
Hopefully next they will be tearing out bleachers to add actual fu***** seats, that way I don’t have an overweight guy sitting in 3/4 of my bleacher “seat”.

We've had a bigger stadium than pretty much everyone and yet recruiting has been average and performance below average. No one cares about capacity except the fans who just want to keep some form of bragging rights. Besides, when is the last time Neyland has been really truly full? 2016?

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
Soooo some nicer seats in one section and a big ole tv. Meh. Whatever. I can’t complain I guess. I had zero expectations.

The stadium matters to FB recruits. When the stadium's 1st impression, which is the only one you get, knocks them out you already have a plus in recruiting that player. Not saying that is the deciding factor but it helps. And you have to move on with the competition. Tradition from the 60's and 70's don't get you anything.

I hate this argument. Its just a dick measuring contest but whose stadium holds more. Imo, put 85k in Neyland and 85k in...Kroger?...and Neyland is going to be louder 100% of the time.

Make the stadium more comfortable so people actually want to come, and we can consistently sell it out.

There it is. Someone other than I and some smarter people than I finally said what needs to be said.

Winning is a lot better at making people show up than comfy seats. It's about the atmosphere, not a "dick measuring contest" for me. But it could be a "dick measuring contest" for the university as a selling point in recruiting. Describing to a recruit what playing in front of 100k is like has a better ring to it than 85k or telling them we have nice seats.

Vol865, a number of us are no longer showing up because we don't want to be squeezed off our seats by bipedal whales. Until that ends, I and many others are staying at home and watching on giant TV screens. In my case, on suitable nights, streamed and wirelessly projected on 7' X 7' movie screens outdoors. That way, the whales can breach bench all they want, and I can be as comfortable as I want.

Last edited:
I hate this argument. Its just a dick measuring contest but whose stadium holds more. Imo, put 85k in Neyland and 85k in...Kroger?...and Neyland is going to be louder 100% of the time.

Make the stadium more comfortable so people actually want to come, and we can consistently sell it out.
Arrowhead Stadium is one of the loudest venues in sports and it’s capacity is 76k

Vol865, a number of us are no longer show up because we don't want to be squeezed off our seats by bipedal whales. Until that ends, I and many others are staying at home and watching on giant TV screens. In my case, on suitable nights, streamed and wirelessly projected on 7" X 7" movie screens outdoors. That way, the whales can breach bench all they want, and I can be as comfortable as I want.
Good plan. I just think it's funny how older people call younger people entitled but want to change a whole stadium and the tradition that goes with it to fit them and screw everyone else.

Good plan. I just think it's funny how older people call younger people entitled but want to change a whole stadium and the tradition that goes with it to fit them and screw everyone else.
There’s no tradition or glory in letting a structure decay just because something might change. The stadium has been expanding and upgrading constantly for decades. It just bothers you because this is happening right in front of you.

How about the folks that want space, chair back seating, and arm rests — STAY AT HOME? This is a college football stadium. Reducing the capacity to 75k or something would be a travesty…

Or how about if you are going to cry and get butt hurt about the stadium upgrading and modernizing, you stay home? You should just get used to it, no one cares about a pretend number over 100k anymore.

Or how about if you are going to cry and get butt hurt about the stadium upgrading and modernizing, you stay home? You should just get used to it, no one cares about a pretend number over 100k anymore.
Imagine going to a college football game against UF at night to “be comfortable” or “relax”

Lol… blue hairs gonna blue hair

Imagine going to a college football game against UF at night to “be comfortable” or “relax”

Lol… blue hairs gonna blue hair

Imagine beating your chest over having 100k seats in a stadium lol… it’s a make believe number, no one gives a sh**. I’m 35, I don’t go to games to relax, but I like the idea of not having some 400 pound dude taking up 3/4 of my seat while the guy behind me digs his knees all into my back because of the 6 inch space we’re given between bleachers. Face it, neyland is falling behind and kind of embarrassing in some aspects. You’ll be ok with some seats taken out, if not just cry more

Our average is higher because we have 2 less commits right now. You proved nothing. However, OSU seats 105,000 and their average is higher.
Who’s talking about average. I’m saying look at Arkansas which seats 75k and is still ranked 5th in recruiting. These kids don’t care about an extra 25k if you aren’t filling it up.

It’s going to hurt the noise level you people that would sell our soul and home field advantage for comfort are so soft
Noise level? 6 of the 7 home games a season you could take a nap in the place. Beating up on Bowling Green and ETSU early and then losing to bama + Florida + Georgia + other sec west opponent practically every year doesn’t really get me excited anymore. It’s an old, ugly, obsolete, and uncomfortable stadium and that’s being objective.

VN Store

Back