Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

The latest WNBA waivers. Indiana sends the following players packing:

Lindsey Allen, Ameysha Williams-Holliday :(, Erin Whalen

I know nothing about Whalen. Sad for Ameysha...such a great story, but it was unlikely she was going to ever make the roster. Allen is a surprise, which leads me to believe that Henderson has left a very positive impression on Stanley.

Fever roster is now set. They surprisingly kept their top 5 draft picks.

Last edited:
The latest WNBA waivers. Indiana sends the following players packing:

Lindsey Allen, Ameysha Williams-Holliday :(, Erin Whalen

I know nothing about Whalen. Sad for Ameysha...such a great story, but it was unlikely she was going to ever make the roster. Allen is a surprise, which leads me to believe that Henderson has left a very positive impression on Stanley.

Whalen played at Vandy for a season or two. I think she may have originally signed with Balcomb but can’t recall exactly. Really good outside shooter and can score at all 3 levels but not that athletic. She’s a lot like Engslter but not as versatile and nowhere near as good a defender. Better outside shot though

I doubt Whalen makes a team

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Whalen played at Vandy for a season or two. I think she may have originally signed with Balcomb but can’t recall exactly. Really good outside shooter and can score at all 3 levels but not that athletic. She’s a lot like Engslter but not as versatile and nowhere near as good a defender. Better outside shot though

I doubt Whalen makes a team

Probably not. Such is life as a Training Camp signee.

LA Sparks should be making their cuts soon. They have 17 players on their roster now. I think the following players are pretty much a given (in order of safety):
  1. Nneka Ogwumike
  2. Liz Cambage
  3. Chennedy Carter
  4. Brittney Sykes
  5. Amanda Zahui B
  6. Kristi Tolliver
  7. Chiney Ogwumike
  8. Te'a Cooper
So that leaves the following competing for 3-4 roster spots (order below is my prediction of safe to not so safe)
  • Jordin Canada
  • Katie Lou Samuelson
  • Jasmine Walker
  • Rae Burrell
  • Lexie Brown
  • Arella Guirantes
  • Olivia Nelson Ododa
  • Kianna Smith
  • Amy Atwell
Rae is right on the cusp IMO. This is gonna be a tight race until Friday...

LA Sparks should be making their cuts soon. They have 17 players on their roster now. I think the following players are pretty much a given (in order of safety):
  1. Nneka Ogwumike
  2. Liz Cambage
  3. Chennedy Carter
  4. Brittney Sykes
  5. Amanda Zahui B
  6. Kristi Tolliver
  7. Chiney Ogwumike
  8. Te'a Cooper
So that leaves the following competing for 3-4 roster spots (order below is my prediction of safe to not so safe)
  • Jordin Canada
  • Katie Lou Samuelson
  • Jasmine Walker
  • Rae Burrell
  • Lexie Brown
  • Arella Guirantes
  • Olivia Nelson Ododa
  • Kianna Smith
  • Amy Atwell
Rae is a lock I've got nothing but confidence on that it may be a catch to it but she's making the team. Canada will make the team before Cooper

Reactions: VolBall09
I posted before I knew i promise but Te'a Cooper was cut
That was pretty much Rae's competition (Arella Guirantes and Kianna Smith), so Rae should be safely in...unless they really, really like ONO and possibly Atwell.

The WNBA would be smart to find a way to keep Te'a Cooper in the league, given she's the most popular player in the league if social media followers is any indication.

That was pretty much Rae's competition (Arella Guirantes and Kianna Smith), so Rae should be safely in...unless they really, really like ONO and possibly Atwell.

The WNBA would be smart to find a way to keep Te'a Cooper in the league, given she's the most popular player in the league if social media followers is any indication.
Rae was never in danger of not making the team because of her rookie contract was easy to add in the cap space remember she didn't play in either preseason game she was told she's safe I'm just waiting to see if she's gonna be put on injury reserve

Rae was never in danger of not making the team because of her rookie contract was easy to add in the cap space remember she didn't play in either preseason game she was told she's safe I'm just waiting to see if she's gonna be put on injury reserve
With their current roster in training camp, LA Sparks wouldn't have salary cap issues with a 12 player roster no matter what they did. Toliver is their highest paid player at ~$190k. They can bring all of their veterans and then choose which low priced young options they want to carry along with them.

Is Rae hurt? Is that why she didn't play in preseason games?

Reactions: LadyOrange

1. Nneka Ogwumike
  2. Liz Cambage
  3. Chennedy Carter
  4. Brittney Sykes
  5. Amanda Zahui B
  6. Kristi Tolliver
  7. Chiney Ogwumike
  8. Te'a Cooper
  • Jordin Canada
  • Katie Lou Samuelson
  • Jasmine Walker
  • Rae Burrell
  • Lexie Brown
  • Arella Guirantes
  • Olivia Nelson Ododa
  • Kianna Smith
  • Amy Atwell
Depends on how the team has to spend the salary cap.

Seattle appears to have made their final cuts: Reshanda Gray, Kiki Herbert Herrigan and Jantel Lavender. Evina emerges from the Hunger Games to live another day.

Too bad Kiki got cut. I like her game and thought she'd make a nice pro.

With their current roster in training camp, LA Sparks wouldn't have salary cap issues with a 12 player roster no matter what they did. Toliver is their highest paid player at ~$190k. They can bring all of their veterans and then choose which low priced young options they want to carry along with them.

Is Rae hurt? Is that why she didn't play in preseason games?
My understanding was for her not to play and the Sparks would try to get her designated as suspended for injury that way she couldn't be picked up by another team and would come back next year with the Sparks having her rights and the Sparks are still at 13 so one more has to go either cut or Tolliver buyout I can't see no one trading for that salary I really hope Olivia Dodson makes the team even though she played for ucan't

My understanding was for her not to play and the Sparks would try to get her designated as suspended for injury that way she couldn't be picked up by another team and would come back next year with the Sparks having her rights and the Sparks are still at 13 so one more has to go either cut or Tolliver buyout I can't see no one trading for that salary I really hope Olivia Dodson makes the team even though she played for ucan't

That's good for Rae (the suspension, not the injury). Do you know what her injury is?

Guessing Amy Atwell and Lexi Brown are more expendable than ONO. Sykes, Toliver, Carter, and Canada should take care of their guard needs, and all of them but Sykes can play PG as well. ONO wouldn't play much, but she'll be in good position for when Chiney decides to move on to her broadcasting career.

That's good for Rae (the suspension, not the injury). Do you know what her injury is?

Guessing Amy Atwell and Lexi Brown are more expendable than ONO. Sykes, Toliver, Carter, and Canada should take care of their guard needs, and all of them but Sykes can play PG as well. ONO wouldn't play much, but she'll be in good position for when Chiney decides to move on to her broadcasting career.
To me they are banking off the injury she had while playing for the LV even though she came back and played.its not a guarantee they will grant the Sparks the suspension but they are filing for it according to the moderator and she's good at giving good info in the group.by the way Atwell has impressed with her 3pt shooting which besides Katie Lou the Sparks have no threat so she's looking good for a 3rd round pick

To me they are banking off the injury she had while playing for the LV even though she came back and played.its not a guarantee they will grant the Sparks the suspension but they are filing for it according to the moderator and she's good at giving good info in the group.by the way Atwell has impressed with her 3pt shooting which besides Katie Lou the Sparks have no threat so she's looking good for a 3rd round pick
If there is no suspension injury for Rae or buyout for Tolliver my guess is Lexi Brown is cut

I can't remember a more brutal cut-down of WNBA rosters than this one has been. There probably have been others worse, but for some reason this one has really had me shaking my head.
I think part of it was the relatively weak draft. Howard, Austin, Smith and Engstler were the only players going into the draft that I felt certain would make a roster. The first round overall was less than impressive with a lot of fringe players...good-to-great college players, but likely not good enough to have a sustained WNBA career (players like Hillmon, Burrell, Burton, Henderson, Hull, etc.). My guess is that a lot of the first round picks this year will find themselves on the outside looking in come next season.

It really has to hurt for players like Davis or MHH who were first round picks and barely had an opportunity to play because of injuries or other (pregnancy), let alone someone like Dangerfield who was ROY just 2 seasons ago.

If you think this year is bad, wait until next year with the strong draft class coming in.

VN Store

Back