Countdown to September 1st vs Ball State (Top 250 Vols)

I'm sorry I troubled you. I switched to the "Use default style" preference and I can't see anything that looks different in your formatting on 131, 138, and 139. I should have done that before I asked you to look. I can work around. Please don't spend your time on it. I owe you a griddled honeybun and ice cream for the trouble.

I'm sorry I troubled you. I switched to the "Use default style" preference and I can't see anything that looks different in your formatting on 131, 138, and 139. I should have done that before I asked you to look. I can work around. Please don't spend your time on it. I owe you a griddled honeybun and ice cream for the trouble.
no worries at all.

I will always take a HB and cream though!;)

130 days…….

#130 - Cory Fleming

Fleming was a standout QB out of Nashville, and was redshirted in 1989. At the advice of Coach Doug Matthews, Fleming switched to receiver. In 1990, he caught one pass for 10 yards. Playing behind Carl Pickens, Fleming got a chance to finally play real minutes when Pickens was injured vs Miss St. He caught only 14 passes that season, but 5 were TDs, including a huge one in the comeback vs Notre Dame. In ‘92, Fleming established himself as a leader on and off the field for UT, catching 40 passes for 490 yards and 2 TDs. Known for his work ethic and ability to play every receiver position, Fleming stepped up his play in 1993. He caught 39 passes for 596 yards and 11 TDs. His streak of six consecutive games with a TD reception is tied for the longest in school history. He had two 100 yard games in his final season and was named to the Coaches 1st Team All-SEC squad. Fleming finished his career with 94 receptions for 1,266 yards and 18 TDs. His 18 career TDs and 11 TDs in ‘93 were school records at the time. Fleming was a 3rd round pick by the 49ers and eventually won a Super Bowl with the Cowboys. Later, he became a legend in the Arena League.

F4C62784-0B4C-4511-899E-54A2786D61EC.png

129 days....

#129 - Malik Jackson

Jackson transferred to UT in prior to the 2010 season from Southern Cal, and made an immediate impact on the team and the SEC. Jackson began his UT career at defensive end, but was moved to tackle just before his fifth game as a Vol. During his first season at Tennessee, Jackson had five sacks and 11 tackles for loss. He totaled 48 tackles and 4 PBUs, while intercepting one pass. His tenacity and strength were welcome additions to a revampt line. He was named 2nd Team All- SEC. In the 2011 season, he recorded 56 total tackles, 11 tackles-for-loss, 3 sacks, two passes defensed, and one forced fumble. The Vols struggled as a team with a new coach and staff, but Jackson was a shining light during a difficult season. We forget how good he was during those down years. During his two seasons, he recorded 104 tackles, 8 sacks, and 26 tackles for loss. He was named 1st Team All-SEC in 2011 and was the only Vol drafted in the 2012 draft. He has played for several teams during his career and has won a Super Bowl with Denver, and made a Pro Bowl.

951CFBE9-2BAE-401A-A8C8-8F54A00AD04C.png

Last edited:
136 days…..

#136 - Bert Rechichar

Rechichar, from Pennsylvania, played baseball and football for UT from 1949-1951. Playing with some of the biggest starts in school history, Rechichar hasn’t been recognized as one of the greats, but his versatility and athleticism puts him on my list. In 1950, he helped the Vols to a 10-1 record and led the team in receiving yards, punt return yards, and interceptions. His 100 yard punt return vs Washington & Lee is still a record and his 50 yard interception return in the same game was the difference in the victory. He had 7 ints during the season and led the Vols with 815 total yards from scrimmage. He was named 2nd team All-SEC. As a senior captain, he ran for 140 yards, caught 2 TDs, returned punts, and kicked some extra points and 2 field goals. He was also exceptional at his defensive back position and was named 1st team All-SEC, helping UT to a National Championship. He was the 10th pick in the NFL draft by the Browns and became a 3X Pro Bowler and 2X NFL champion with the Colts.

View attachment 448535
Was blind in one eye and still able to play centerfield for the baseball Vols

128 days……

#128 - Carl Zander

Zander was a member of the great recruiting class of 1981 and a tackling machine his last two seasons in Knoxville. As a freshman, he played sparingly until finally starting in the Vanderbilt game and the Garden State Bowl victory. He was hampered by injuries as a sophomore, but still recorded 35 tackles. As a junior in 1983, he was overshadowed by Alvin Toles and Reggie White, but still finished with 129 tackles, including 20 vs Pitt, 19 vs Ole Miss, and 13 in the victory over Alabama. In 1984, he was elected Co-Captain and had 167 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and an interception. He had 16 stops vs Army, 22 against Kentucky, and 20 in the Citrus Bowl vs Maryland. He was named 1st Team All-SEC by South Sports , and was a 2nd round pick by the Bengals, where he played until 1991. For his career, Zander had 342 tackles as a Vol, and his 1984 total is the 5th most in a single season in school history.

37A59103-A0A0-404D-99A1-C6168C853D12.png

128 days……

#128 - Carl Zander

Zander was a member of the great recruiting class of 1981 and a tackling machine his last two seasons in Knoxville. As a freshman, he played sparingly until finally starting in the Vanderbilt game and the Garden State Bowl victory. He was hampered by injuries as a sophomore, but still recorded 35 tackles. As a junior in 1983, he was overshadowed by Alvin Toles and Reggie White, but still finished with 129 tackles, including 20 vs Pitt, 19 vs Ole Miss, and 13 in the victory over Alabama. In 1984, he was elected Co-Captain and had 167 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, and an interception. He had 16 stops vs Army, 22 against Kentucky, and 20 in the Citrus Bowl vs Maryland. He was named 1st Team All-SEC by South Sports , and was a 2nd round pick by the Bengals, where he played until 1991. For his career, Zander had 342 tackles as a Vol, and his 1984 total is the 5th most in a single season in school history.

View attachment 450765
Man, I forget how many REALLY good defensive guys came through Tennessee. To put up those kinds of numbers on the same line as Reggie and Toles is phenomenal.

@peaygolf Thanks again for researching, compiling, and scribing this list. It has made this off-season very memorable so far.

Man, I forget how many REALLY good defensive guys came through Tennessee. To put up those kinds of numbers on the same line as Reggie and Toles is phenomenal.

@peaygolf Thanks again for researching, compiling, and scribing this list. It has made this off-season very memorable so far.
@IndianaVol
Think about just the LINEBACKERS that have come thru Knoxville……especially the 60s and 70s

Many will be on my list…….

127 days…..

#127 - Jason Layman

Layman came to Knoxville in 1991 as the #1 rated defensive lineman in the country by Super Prep. After playing in two games, he was injured and given a medical hardship. The following year, he was moved to the offensive line for depth purposes, playing in 8 games and starting the final two in the regular season at center, and then the bowl game. In 1993, he again was moved, to left tackle, and helped UT lead the conference in total yards and rushing yards. He was instrumental in Heath Shuler’s runner-up Heisman season. In ‘94, much of the success of the SECs #1 rushing attack was credited to Layman by the coaching staff. He was named 2nd team All-SEC. In his final year, he helped lead the Vols to an 11-1 record and #3 national ranking. Opening holes for Jay Graham and protecting Peyton Manning, earned Layman 1st team All-SEC honors. Of the eight Vols drafted after the season, Layman was the first one chosen. He went in the 2nd round to the Houston/Tennessee Oilers, where he played until 1999. In my opinion, Layman is one of the under appreciated Vols during the 1990s.

4355BEC9-7696-430B-B9B3-52E9C4A1384E.png

126 days

#126 - Arian Foster

Foster started his career as a redshirt freshman in 2005 as a backup, but was thrust into a pivotal role after an injury to Gerald Riggs. In the last month of the season, he had 100 yard games vs South Carolina, Notre Dame, Memphis, and Kentucky, plus over 240 yards of total offense vs Vanderbilt. He finished the season with 879 yards and 5 TDs. In 2006, injuries and the emergence of a couple of other backs saw his productivity decline, rushing for only 322 yards on 91 carries. In his third season, Foster was a workhorse, rushing for 1,193 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was named 2nd team All-SEC and had a 2nd round grade for the upcoming NFL draft. Coach Fulmer convinced him to return for his final season, a decision he would probably regret. Playing for his third position coach and OC, his time was split between other backs the coaches thought better fit the new scheme. Foster only had one 100 yard game, and finished with 570 yards and 1 TD. Fulmer said thigh and knee injuries were the reason for his diminished workload, but they were later disputed. Following his final season, Foster went undrafted, but signed with Houston, where he became a 2X All-Pro and lead the league in rushing in 2010.
Foster has been vilified by fans because of his inopportune fumbles and saying he was payed under the table while at UT. This still does not diminish what he accomplished on the field. His 3,338 career yards are 2nd all time in Vols history…..and he only fumbled five times on a school-record 650 carries.
say what you will, but the guy could flat play!

E8F35C1C-CF0D-43E8-94C9-287BCF0690EC.png

126 days

#126 - Arian Foster

Foster started his career as a redshirt freshman in 2005 as a backup, but was thrust into a pivotal role after an injury to Gerald Riggs. In the last month of the season, he had 100 yard games vs South Carolina, Notre Dame, Memphis, and Kentucky, plus over 240 yards of total offense vs Vanderbilt. He finished the season with 879 yards and 5 TDs. In 2006, injuries and the emergence of a couple of other backs saw his productivity decline, rushing for only 322 yards on 91 carries. In his third season, Foster was a workhorse, rushing for 1,193 yards and 12 touchdowns. He was named 2nd team All-SEC and had a 2nd round grade for the upcoming NFL draft. Coach Fulmer convinced him to return for his final season, a decision he would probably regret. Playing for his third position coach and OC, his time was split between other backs the coaches thought better fit the new scheme. Foster only had one 100 yard game, and finished with 570 yards and 1 TD. Fulmer said thigh and knee injuries were the reason for his diminished workload, but they were later disputed. Following his final season, Foster went undrafted, but signed with Houston, where he became a 2X All-Pro and lead the league in rushing in 2010.
Foster has been vilified by fans because of his inopportune fumbles and saying he was payed under the table while at UT. This still does not diminish what he accomplished on the field. His 3,338 career yards are 2nd all time in Vols history…..and he only fumbled five times on a school-record 650 carries.
say what you will, but the guy could flat play!

View attachment 451232

Good player, but those fumbles versus UCLA and S. Carolina cost us two wins. And I'm forgetting a couple more.......

Reactions: MAD
125 days…..

#125 - Jonathan Brown

Brown, an Oklahoma native, was a four year letterman from 1994-1997. He was primarily a backup his first two seasons, making three starts, but playing in every game. He had 39 tackles and 5 sacks in his first two seasons. As a junior, Brown became a starter at defensive end and was one of the most under appreciated Vols in ‘96 and ‘97. He had 39 tackles, 6.5 sacks, and 5 tackles for loss in 1996 and helped UT to an 11-1 record. His senior season is somehow lost. Yes, UT had Little and Wilson, but Brown was arguably the best player on defense in ‘97. All he did was make 37 tackles, 3 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries, and 13.5 sacks. He was named 1st team All-SEC, and how he wasn’t an all American is a travesty. Brown was a 3rd pick by the Packers and played until 1999. He also played in the CFL, where he was 2X all-star, and NFL Europe.

3CDFA941-C9B8-4EC1-828D-419FF88B3C09.png

124 days…….

#124 - Jimmy Colquitt

Colquitt arrived in Knoxville in 1981 and quickly established himself as an equal to his punting brother Craig. Jimmy averaged 43.8 yards per punt as a freshman, while punting 6 times vs Ga Tech for a 51 yard avg and 7 times vs Alabama for a 49 yard average. He was named 2nd team All-SEC. As a sophomore, he averaged 46.9 yards per punt and set a UT record by averaging 53 yards on five punts vs LSU. He was again named 2nd team All-SEC and 1st team All-American by Gannett News Service. In 1983, he averaged 42 yards per punt and tied his own single game record vs Auburn, punting five times for 53 yard average. He was named 1st team All-American by Walter Camp. In his final season, Colquitt averaged 43.1 yards per punt. For his career, Jimmy never averaged less than 42 yards per kick and averaged 43.9 yards. Without question, He is the greatest punter in Vols history. He was an UFA with Seattle in 1985, playing in two games, averaging 40.1 yards.

2F5B9E41-1E9C-42CE-B194-C0FA2B81A55F.png

123 days…..

#123 - Justin Hunter

Hunter was a dynamic receiver from 2010-2012. Although he only started 13 games out of 28 that he played, he left his mark as one of the best. As a freshman, he made two starts and caught 16 passes for 415 yards and 7 TDs, averaging 25.9 yards per reception. He had two 100 yard games and an 80 yard touchdown vs Ole Miss. Hunter was named Freshman All-SEC. As a sophomore, Justin started the first three games, but tore his ACL early in the third game and missed the rest of the season. He had 16 receptions for 302 yards in the first two games and had 1 catch vs UF for 12 yards before his injury. He returned as a junior and had an amazing year. He had 3 TDs vs Georgia St and Troy, and had over 100 yards four times. He finished the season with 73 receptions for 1,083 yards and 9 TDs. He was named 2nd Team All-SEC and was an All -American by Pro Football Weekly. Poised for a record breaking senior season, he instead decided to enter the 2013 NFL draft, where he was a 2nd round pick by the Titans. He finished his career with 106 receptions for 1,812 yards and 18 TDs.

C3DD94D0-8D8C-442A-A062-CF96F5A1A210.png

122 days……

#122 - Tony Robinson

If I were to base my list on pure talent, Robinson would possibly be in the top 20. Robinson was a backup to Alan Cockrell in 1982 and 1983, attempting only 15 passes those two seasons and contemplated transferring. When Cockrell decided to play professional baseball, he stayed. He became the starter in 1984 and quickly showed how talented he was. In his first start, he was 13-16 vs Washington St and only got better as the season continued. He set the record for completion percentage in a single season with 61.7%, breaking Johnny Majors record, and finished 2nd in the SEC in QB efficiency. He set school records vs UF with 29 completions and 389 yards of total offense. His arm strength was on display when he heaved a pass 70 yards in the air to Tim McGee vs Vanderbilt. For the season, he had 1,963 yards and 14 touchdowns, and missed a game and a hal to injury. He led UT to a 7-4-1 record and was named 1st team All-SEC. He started his final season on fire, throwing for 387 yards and 417 yards of total offense in the tie with #10 UCLA. The next week, Bo and #1 Auburn came to Knoxville, and Tony stole the show, tossing 4 TDs and throwing for 259 yards in the 38-20 victory. He was AP and UPI national player of the week after both games. After a victory over Wake Forest and a close loss to UF, he was still a Heisman favorite. After guiding UT to a 16-7 lead at Alabama, Robinson suffered a devastating knee injury that sidelined him for the rest of the season. For the year, he threw for 1,246 yards and 8 TDs in only 4.5 games. Unfortunately, his life took a dark turn and he ended up in prison on drug related charges. He did have the opportunity to play as a replacement player for Washington during the ‘87 NFL strike season, leadin Washington to a win vs a Cowboys team full of players who had crossed the picket line. He was later awarded a Super Bowl ring for his efforts. In approximately 15 full games as a starter, Robinson threw for 3,332 yards and 23 TDs.

Im biased on Robinson, and I admit it. He is in my personal top 5 favorite Vols ever, but if you were fortunate enough to see him, you know how good he was!

D5BB496D-ED8E-49EF-AF52-D43DE12C9C17.png7937AB57-8AE4-471E-B563-A3B58363DAB6.png

T-Rob.

Personally, I'd have put him a LOT higher.

Yeah, yeah, I know. His arrest just a few days after the '86 Sugar Bowl disappointed and angered a lot of people. However, I also recall just how pervasive cocaine was at that time. It was the drug of choice amongst the power elite, the movers and shakers. You couldn't go to an upscale party without seeing a table with lines of the white stuff. I personally knew people who were spending $500 to $1,000 A DAY on that sh^t. The only way they could afford it it was to sell it. McDonalds changed the design of their coffee spoons because coke heads were stealing them all. I once remarked that one reason I survived the 70's and early '80s was that I am allergic to the entire "caine" family. Makes getting dental work done a real adventure. They have to use a synthetic version that wears off about 3x faster than the real stuff.

I was watching a replay of the '84 Ole Miss game in the mid-90s. I recalled Robinson as a great talent but I was blown away, awestruck, thinking, "Good Lord, I've forgotten just how good he actually was!"

He seems to have gotten his life back together. I wish him well.

122 days……

#122 - Tony Robinson

If I were to base my list on pure talent, Robinson would possibly be in the top 20. Robinson was a backup to Alan Cockrell in 1982 and 1983, attempting only 15 passes those two seasons and contemplated transferring. When Cockrell decided to play professional baseball, he stayed. He became the starter in 1984 and quickly showed how talented he was. In his first start, he was 13-16 vs Washington St and only got better as the season continued. He set the record for completion percentage in a single season with 61.7%, breaking Johnny Majors record, and finished 2nd in the SEC in QB efficiency. He set school records vs UF with 29 completions and 389 yards of total offense. His arm strength was on display when he heaved a pass 70 yards in the air to Tim McGee vs Vanderbilt. For the season, he had 1,963 yards and 14 touchdowns, and missed a game and a hal to injury. He led UT to a 7-4-1 record and was named 1st team All-SEC. He started his final season on fire, throwing for 387 yards and 417 yards of total offense in the tie with #10 UCLA. The next week, Bo and #1 Auburn came to Knoxville, and Tony stole the show, tossing 4 TDs and throwing for 259 yards in the 38-20 victory. He was AP and UPI national player of the week after both games. After a victory over Wake Forest and a close loss to UF, he was still a Heisman favorite. After guiding UT to a 16-7 lead at Alabama, Robinson suffered a devastating knee injury that sidelined him for the rest of the season. For the year, he threw for 1,246 yards and 8 TDs in only 4.5 games. Unfortunately, his life took a dark turn and he ended up in prison on drug related charges. He did have the opportunity to play as a replacement player for Washington during the ‘87 NFL strike season, leadin Washington to a win vs a Cowboys team full of players who had crossed the picket line. He was later awarded a Super Bowl ring for his efforts. In approximately 15 full games as a starter, Robinson threw for 3,332 yards and 23 TDs.

Im biased on Robinson, and I admit it. He is in my personal top 5 favorite Vols ever, but if you were fortunate enough to see him, you know how good he was!

View attachment 452334View attachment 452335

The two point option play versus Bama in ''84 is one of the "forgotten" great plays in Vol history.

After a 40 year absence from Neyland (yeah, I attended Vols games elsewhere during those four decades, a de facto member of the Big Orange traveling caravan), I returned for the Florida game in 2018. While making my way through the tailgating crowds, I encountered Tony. He had a cigar in hand, and that started our conversation. My impression was that he’s doing well, and I am glad for this.

I have my prediction ready for who I think Peay has at #1

VN Store

Back