Why do the gators have our number?

Better coaching
Better athletes
Better confidence
Better administration
Better belief they can overcome setbacks.

Almost every game has 1 or more of the above list and that is why they have our number.
...and Steve Spurrier’s brashness and ridicule of UT during his tenure for the most part messed with the minds of UT coaches and players ever since. It set the tone that is still there even today.

...and Steve Spurrier’s brashness and ridicule of UT during his tenure for the most part messed with the minds of UT coaches and players ever since. It set the tone that is still there even today.
I was going to say the same thing, Spurrier got in the entire Programs head and the fans as well and we've never been able to get in a winning mindset since those days.

Tennessee has walked onto the field hoping to win. Florida walks onto the field expecting to win. Sports psychology is a real thing. They are in the head of our collective program. Even when we get up on them, one bad break in the game and we collectively have quit as a team.
This year should be different. I really believe that.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
Same reason we own Kentucky. It becomes a mental thing.
If it was the same coaches and same players every year, then maybe the mental part plays into it, but college football is a revolving door of participants.

If it was the same coaches and same players every year, then maybe the mental part plays into it, but college football is a revolving door of participants.
Well that's my best shot at it, what you got?

I remember back in 2003 after the game someone wrote on a stall “for a good time call 865-974-1000.”

Someone actually gave them the number.

I was going to say the same thing, Spurrier got in the entire Programs head and the fans as well and we've never been able to get in a winning mindset since those days.

The first few years that Spurrier coached Florida, he completely rattled Fulmer with his passing game and boldness. The gators would be throwing TD passes on 4th and 10 from our 35 yard line whereas Phil was absurdly conservative for years. Facing a 4th and half a yard from the florida 15, Phil would always--at least for a long time--kick the field goal. would always kick a FG. It took several years, but Fulmer eventually started playing the percentages on 4th down and going for it, and I'm convinced that it was because of Spurrier. There was one game in a pretty steady/heavy rain at Neyland. The weather didn't bother Florida: Rex Grossman was the QB, and they threw the ball a lot in that game whereas we ran the FB something like 30 times. It was a pretty close game, as I recall--but we lost! More generally, for some reason we always played one of our worst games of the season against Florida--maybe the worst. We eventually caught up with Spurrier, and post-Spurrier we played some good games as an underdog--and then we'd choke the game away late. Over the years we've choked away /several/ florida games that we could have or should have won.

I don’t think Florida has our number, it has been that most of our coaches has just been out coached. For ex: The long pass that Butch didn’t put anyone back to cover? There has been some recruiting classes better than us was kind of a factor, but ummm the coaching is what has done us in 80% of the time.

I don't think this point has been made yet but we always play Florida early in the season and as long as I have been a Tennessee fan we start slow and end strong. That's why I think UGA made a big mistake moving our game to November.

I don't think this point has been made yet but we always play Florida early in the season and as long as I have been a Tennessee fan we start slow and end strong. That's why I think UGA made a big mistake moving our game to November.

Strong ending or historically weak schedule in November?

Or possibly both?

Agree, but it isn't a mistake yet, until we make them pay for it.

The first few years that Spurrier coached Florida, he completely rattled Fulmer with his passing game and boldness. The gators would be throwing TD passes on 4th and 10 from our 35 yard line whereas Phil was absurdly conservative for years. Facing a 4th and half a yard from the florida 15, Phil would always--at least for a long time--kick the field goal. would always kick a FG. It took several years, but Fulmer eventually started playing the percentages on 4th down and going for it, and I'm convinced that it was because of Spurrier. There was one game in a pretty steady/heavy rain at Neyland. The weather didn't bother Florida: Rex Grossman was the QB, and they threw the ball a lot in that game whereas we ran the FB something like 30 times. It was a pretty close game, as I recall--but we lost! More generally, for some reason we always played one of our worst games of the season against Florida--maybe the worst. We eventually caught up with Spurrier, and post-Spurrier we played some good games as an underdog--and then we'd choke the game away late. Over the years we've choked away /several/ florida games that we could have or should have won.
We always find a way to lose, just like Kentucky does with us.

There have been so many years where the Vols were a much better team than Florida, yet time and again they beat us...badly. How does a program get out of that rut, if it is even possible?

Call the phone company and request a number change. The telemarkters keep calling it too.

A lot of UT fans were excited about UF having to come to Knoxville in Dec. 2020. It didn't matter. There's always an excuse for losing to them.

Step 1) Hire a real Fing Elite Coach.
Step 2) Recruit a decent QB
Not always the solution. My Colts have lost to Jax in Jax since 2014, and they have more than often been the worst team. Colts had Andrew Luck and lost, Philip Rocers and lost, Frank Reich as coach and Chuck Pagano as coach, so coaches and qbs mattered little. This is one of those things that are just odd and until Colts break that jinx more than once and Vols beat Fla more than once and break it we as fans don’t have confidence. Why dies Tn beat Ky even when Ky has the ball virtually the whole game? Because Tn beats Ky.

I don't mean within the game. The statement was about "having the better team" and losing.

2013, both teams were horrible.
2014, both teams were horrible
2015, i'll buy it.
2016, Tennessee won.
2017, Tennessee went winless in the conference. Can't buy having the better team argument, but I will acknowledge that Florida was also hot garbage.
I
I'll go back further when we were at least as good or better in 91, 93, 95, 97, 99, 00, and we only won 3 times, got brutally robbed in 00, and then couldn't handle snaps in 02. Won in 04 by the grace of God...You'd think we could have won at least half the games when we were even, but only managed a few.

VN Store

Back