Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

He complained about having to pitch NiL deals as part of the recruiting process. He doesn't want people choosing schools for what he considers the wrong reasons, i.e. NiL offers.
You seem to read it a certain way to fit your narrative, while I read it a different way (and I’m sure you’ll say to fit my narrative). I see nothing wrong with still wanting a kid to choose your school because he feels it is the best fit for him from a culture, style, coaching etc standpoint rather than simply “who is going to pay me the most”. That doesn’t mean you don’t get a NIL deal that is competitive, and Barnes is fine with that as he mentions, he just wants you choosing schools for what he deems are the “right reasons”.

You want to mention UCLA and Barnes job hunting for money or whatever, it would be like Barnes going to coach Loyola Womens Basketball because they are offering $8m and thus the highest bidder, that would be a comparison that makes a bit more sense.

I don't know if anyone over here follows the women's team, but the Lady Vols dominated the transfer portal. They signed the #1 player in the portal, a point guard that will start next season, a post player that average a double-double in her conference and a 6'5" former McDonald's All-American who's a freshman. Final Four or bust for the women's team next season. Kudos to the women's coaching staff. I hear they are excellent recruiters.

Correct, the NAIA didn’t make athletes sit out a season if they transferred from an NCAA school if they were in good academic standing. Name one player who was recruited away from UT. They all bombed out at UT then went the NAIA route to avoid having to set out a year at an NCAA school. You misunderstood the process if you think CN had anything beyond being NAIA that would entice a player away from UT.

Todd Collins

There is some of both I think. For a coach that is huge on culture, there is a disgust with HOW the NIL factor influences recruiting. Players making decisions heavily influenced by NIL $ will make it more difficult to foster that culture.

You seem to read it a certain way to fit your narrative, while I read it a different way (and I’m sure you’ll say to fit my narrative). I see nothing wrong with still wanting a kid to choose your school because he feels it is the best fit for him from a culture, style, coaching etc standpoint rather than simply “who is going to pay me the most”. That doesn’t mean you don’t get a NIL deal that is competitive, and Barnes is fine with that as he mentions, he just wants you choosing schools for what he deems are the “right reasons”.

You want to mention UCLA and Barnes job hunting for money or whatever, it would be like Barnes going to coach Loyola Womens Basketball because they are offering $8m and thus the highest bidder, that would be a comparison that makes a bit more sense.

My only narrative is that NiL is a huge part of recruiting now and I want our coaches in every sport to fully embrace it rather than complain about it. I've not heard Heupel complaining about it at all. The right reasons to a coach who is already a multi-millionaire and a player who is very likely not, can be quiet different regarding financial incentives.

As for the Barnes hunting more money, he stated himself that his reason for choosing to return to Tennessee was wholly financially motivated. I don't blame him for that, it's his job. I find it hypocritical though, that he doesn't want players picking schools for that reason because it's not "the right way". This is their job. If a kid can command NiL dollars without playing any college ball, more power to them. It likely means they've already spent a significant chunk of their childhood playing and practicing basketball year round.

Reactions: patrick
My only narrative is that NiL is a huge part of recruiting now and I want our coaches in every sport to fully embrace it rather than complain about it. I've not heard Heupel complaining about it at all. The right reasons to a coach who is already a multi-millionaire and a player who is very likely not, can be quiet different regarding financial incentives.

As for the Barnes hunting more money, he stated himself that his reason for choosing to return to Tennessee was wholly financially motivated. I don't blame him for that, it's his job. I find it hypocritical though, that he doesn't want players picking schools for that reason because it's not "the right way". This is their job. If a kid can command NiL dollars without playing any college ball, more power to them. It likely means they've already spent a significant chunk of their childhood playing and practicing basketball year round.
You ignore the fact UCLA was considered because of his viewpoint of them, that would be like criticizing Cason Wallace for considering Kentucky because they were his dream school. Arkansas pursued Barnes and he informed them he had no interest, regardless of the dollar amount, because he didn’t see it as a better fit for him than Tennessee. You’re anti Barnes and I get that, that’s fine, but naturally that is causing you to look at things through that lens and find ways to have things fit that point.

The recent talk is that Barnes has really warmed up to NIL in recruiting and that he just wants to make sure his current players are taken care of too to avoid a Miami type scenario. Either you adapt or you won’t be around long, we will find out the answer regardless fairly soon.

It’s crazy to me we’re like 3 years removed from this situation, and people are still mad about it. He wanted to go to UCLA, any coach in basketball would be stupid not to, they’re literally basketball royalty. They didn’t match and he stayed, and even though for three years he hasn’t shopped his name around or nothing, Karen’s still bring it up. Also if I remember correctly the quote that everyone talks about was taken out of context. I’m not gonna look up the full article, not worth my time, but I’m pretty sure I remember something like that. Media gonna media to rile up the Karen’s. For someone that has brought one of the best eras in Tennessee basketball history to us, Barnes gets a lot of ish that’s just ridiculous.

It’s crazy to me we’re like 3 years removed from this situation, and people are still mad about it. He wanted to go to UCLA, any coach in basketball would be stupid not to, they’re literally basketball royalty. They didn’t match and he stayed, and even though for three years he hasn’t shopped his name around or nothing, Karen’s still bring it up. Also if I remember correctly the quote that everyone talks about was taken out of context. I’m not gonna look up the full article, not worth my time, but I’m pretty sure I remember something like that. Media gonna media to rile up the Karen’s. For someone that has brought one of the best eras in Tennessee basketball history to us, Barnes gets a lot of ish that’s just ridiculous.

It was something along the lines that he would have gone to UCLA had they matched the TN offer. So he didn’t go to UCLA for less money.

UCLA came after Barnes. UT did what it took to retain him. That’s the story. Barnes’s salary wouldn’t even be in the top 10 had the pandemic not erupted immediately after his deal. His timing was as lucky as it gets.

It was something along the lines that he would have gone to UCLA had they matched the TN offer. So he didn’t go to UCLA for less money.

UCLA came after Barnes. UT did what it took to retain him. That’s the story. Barnes’s salary wouldn’t even be in the top 10 had the pandemic not erupted immediately after his deal. His timing was as lucky as it gets.
He would’ve gone to UCLA for less money. They just wouldn’t pay his buyout at TN. His raise here was irrelevant at that point.

Reactions: patrick

"When asked directly if he would have left if UCLA had covered the buyout, Barnes said, "I think I would have been the coach at UCLA."

He did it and he said it. My issue is that he clearly stayed here for financial reasons but doesn't want players choosing schools for financial reasons.

Lucky for who? Not us.

He doesn't want it to be a part of the recruiting process and he states that. I know that when I was out looking for work, potential salary was on my mind and as much as many don't want to admit it, these players have high value and this is a job to them. I can guarantee you Barnes never agreed to a single job he has ever taken without talking about pay. There are two directions you can go with this, embrace it or buck against it. One is a way better path to take than the other. It's not likely to change back and the NCAA isn't going to say squat because the next stop will be revenue sharing for the players. This is the price of a handful of coaches/schools getting rich for decades on the backs of players, while denying them even the ability to make money on their own.

Way more than 2 ways this can go. I think Coach and I both fear abuse of the NIL. Cheaters will find a way to cheat. Hard to legislate morals when no one wants to deal with it and simply turn a blind eye in classic NOT MY JOB MAN fashion. Inevitably bad acts will lead to some structure leveling the playing field nationally.

I really hope Barnes is here till 80 just to piss the haters off.

This is that bizarre narrative that if you don't claim Barnes is the lord and savior you're a "hater". Barnes has reportedly had issues with embracing NiL as a part of recruiting. He just did an interview talking about not wanting NiL to be a part of recruiting. That's a concern when other coaches in the conference embrace it and are hitting home runs using it. Hopefully the rumors that he is warming up to it are true. We can't afford to be one of the programs not on board with it.

Way more than 2 ways this can go. I think Coach and I both fear abuse of the NIL. Cheaters will find a way to cheat. Hard to legislate morals when no one wants to deal with it and simply turn a blind eye in classic NOT MY JOB MAN fashion. Inevitably bad acts will lead to some structure leveling the playing field nationally.

There is no abuse of the NiL because there's virtually no rules regarding what boosters can contribute to it, nor should their be imo. If I wanted to hire a player to appear at my company events and pay him a billion dollars, that should be between me and that player. Not the NCAA. In any other business setting it would be between the two parties.

The NCAA made billions of dollars off athletes while not allowing them to make anything. Tennessee sold a ton of 16 jerseys because of Peyton, they and the NCAA split that money, Peyton got 0. They were finally called to task on things like that. Right now they still get all the revenue but if they push NiL restrictions someone is going to sue for revenue sharing. They don't want that to happen for sure.

NiL is clearly becoming a huge part of recruiting and we need to be progressive about it.

"When asked directly if he would have left if UCLA had covered the buyout, Barnes said, "I think I would have been the coach at UCLA."

He did it and he said it. My issue is that he clearly stayed here for financial reasons but doesn't want players choosing schools for financial reasons.
Again, you’re ignoring/leaving out why UCLA was a consideration…it’s like Phillips being down to a Auburn & Tennessee, he says both are perfect fits for him and he can’t decide, everything is same across the board, except NIL…I doubt Barnes would have much issue with that decision.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
This is that bizarre narrative that if you don't claim Barnes is the lord and savior you're a "hater". Barnes has reportedly had issues with embracing NiL as a part of recruiting. He just did an interview talking about not wanting NiL to be a part of recruiting. That's a concern when other coaches in the conference embrace it and are hitting home runs using it. Hopefully the rumors that he is warming up to it are true. We can't afford to be one of the programs not on board with it.
Barnes and his staff, and the Tennessee athletic department as a whole, haven’t shied away from the new NIL world. The Vols have stayed in front of the game-changing new rules that allows players and prospects to benefit from their image and platform.
“We believe in it” Barnes said, “and we're behind it.”

Barnes and his staff, and the Tennessee athletic department as a whole, haven’t shied away from the new NIL world. The Vols have stayed in front of the game-changing new rules that allows players and prospects to benefit from their image and platform.

Sometimes you just make yourself look bad when you make things up…

This is why I say he’s finding just the parts to fit his narrative and ignoring the parts that don’t…Barnes isn’t saying we won’t allow anyone to make money, but that’s what the OP would have you believe. IMO he’s stating that he doesn’t want it to be the reason you pick a school, and especially pick a school that maybe you admit is a worse fit for you.

“Like I said, there are a lot of numbers out there that aren’t true, but some of them that are true,” Barnes said. “What you don’t want to do and it has happened, a young person comes in and you’re recruiting them, they’re not even thinking about NIL, but then one school says, ‘We will do this.’ They’ll ask what you can do, and then that other school says, ‘We’re not gonna get beat on this NIL deal.’

“Then the agents start getting into it,” Barnes added. “They start getting a percentage of what they can create, and so that’s the part where it wasn’t thought out years ago and we should’ve been able to control what we have right now, which is what it’s not.”

These quotes from Barnes read pretty anti-NiL to me. He doesn't like hearing that recruits are getting NiL offers on the recruiting trail. What control does he want to have over it? Is he willing to have a salary cap for coaches? Should a coach's agent not be allowed to try for the maximum amount of money?

Barnes is a pretty good recruiter in the old way of doing things. We see complaints mainly coming from older coaches who are good recruiters under the old way. Dabo and Saban hate it because they have more competition all of a sudden for top players.

Stupid of me to come here looking for recruiting info… nothing to see here but another pissing match 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️
Yeah I was thinking that myself. Not that I don't like the people involved in it, but there should be a forum topic for this type of stuff. Until now, I really enjoyed getting on here and finding out what the newest updates on the recruiting trail was. Not lately though!!

“Like I said, there are a lot of numbers out there that aren’t true, but some of them that are true,” Barnes said. “What you don’t want to do and it has happened, a young person comes in and you’re recruiting them, they’re not even thinking about NIL, but then one school says, ‘We will do this.’ They’ll ask what you can do, and then that other school says, ‘We’re not gonna get beat on this NIL deal.’

“Then the agents start getting into it,” Barnes added. “They start getting a percentage of what they can create, and so that’s the part where it wasn’t thought out years ago and we should’ve been able to control what we have right now, which is what it’s not.”

These quotes from Barnes read pretty anti-NiL to me. He doesn't like hearing that recruits are getting NiL offers on the recruiting trail. What control does he want to have over it? Is he willing to have a salary cap for coaches? Should a coach's agent not be allowed to try for the maximum amount of money?

Barnes is a pretty good recruiter in the old way of doing things. We see complaints mainly coming from older coaches who are good recruiters under the old way. Dabo and Saban hate it because they have more competition all of a sudden for top players.
He might not like it but he has been adapting regardless

VN Store

Back