Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Yep. Damage control. But that won’t stop it from happening with other disgruntled players. It’s coming. Might as well get ready. Very few will be happy when a newcomer comes in and is making more money than you even though you are just as good and maybe are even of more value to the team. It’s human nature especially with these prima donnas that pass for players today. I just don’t believe this is going to end well unless they get some semblance of control. Just don’t know what that looks like.

The agents will just put Most Favored Nations clauses in the contracts. Most juniors and seniors and RS sophomores don’t have much leverage.

The agents will just put Most Favored Nations clauses in the contracts. Most juniors and seniors and RS sophomores don’t have much leverage.
Good Lord. Have we really sunk to talking about Most Favored Nations clauses in contracts for college ball players. Who would have thunk it?

Basketball will have more options. I might favor UT-C in both though.

I haven’t been a Carson-Newman fan because Sparks used to poach UT players.

Who was the big LMU fan a few years ago?
Wut? Sparks didn’t poach UT players. Some players that washed out at UT would occasionally cycle through CN but they never stayed around long - usually not making it more than a semester like Charles Morgan (Reggie White’s hs teammate and SEC defensive player of the week following the bama game I think) and the youngest Cofer brother.

Wut? Sparks didn’t poach UT players. Some players that washed out at UT would occasionally cycle through CN but they never stayed around long - usually not making it more than a semester like Charles Morgan (Reggie White’s hs teammate and SEC defensive player of the week following the bama game I think) and the youngest Cofer brother.

They could transfer to C-N and be able to play immediately. Sparks recruited off of Majors’s rosters.

VQ has been trash with their hoops coverage lately. Did Rob just retire or something?

Forget Barnes coming here just to collect a check. That's what Rob Lewis is doing right now lol

I think Rob Lewis is on vacation because Price answered basketball questions on the last mailbag podcast of Volquest.

I've decided on Mosley, Hunter and/or Kyle Lofton (honestly, I love Kenneth Lofton Jr, too, but I know that isn't happening) , in the transfer portal. Phillips and Awaka, high school recruits. Phillips and Mosley are my 2 biggest "Wants"

They could transfer to C-N and be able to play immediately. Sparks recruited off of Majors’s rosters.
Correct, the NAIA didn’t make athletes sit out a season if they transferred from an NCAA school if they were in good academic standing. Name one player who was recruited away from UT. They all bombed out at UT then went the NAIA route to avoid having to set out a year at an NCAA school. You misunderstood the process if you think CN had anything beyond being NAIA that would entice a player away from UT.

Not a great look for Barnes. He's only at Tennessee because UCLA wouldn't pay his buyout and he's making huge money here. Ironic that he's complaining about the people who make him his money, wanting money. I wonder if he and his fellow coaches will agree to a coaching salary cap and maybe we can get their pay under control.

Not a great look for Barnes. He's only at Tennessee because UCLA wouldn't pay his buyout and he's making huge money here. Ironic that he's complaining about the people who make him his money, wanting money. I wonder if he and his fellow coaches will agree to a coaching salary cap and maybe we can get their pay under control.

At this point, I don’t think Barnes is just upset because athletes are making money. What’s happening right now is something completely different. If it was as simple as student athletes getting a paycheck, most of these coaches wouldn’t care.

But the state of the transfer portal combined with a no-rules version of NIL has made things chaotic.

Just look at two examples from just THIS week. Wong at Miami trying to publicly extort his university for more money because he found out another player is making more than him. USC tampering with a Pittsburgh WR before he even hits the portal to induce him to come to USC. That’s not just “athletes making money.”

Didn’t read the article, did he complain about players getting paid or is he saying that some schools are telling kids an amount that they won’t actually get? Seems like 2 very different things to me. He’s had no issue with guys on the team making appearances or getting deals, so hard to think he’s against players making money.

At this point, I don’t think Barnes is just upset because athletes are making money. What’s happening right now is something completely different. If it was as simple as student athletes getting a paycheck, most of these coaches wouldn’t care.

But the state of the transfer portal combined with a no-rules version of NIL has made things chaotic.

Just look at two examples from just THIS week. Wong at Miami trying to publicly extort his university for more money because he found out another player is making more than him. USC tampering with a Pittsburgh WR before he even hits the portal to induce him to come to USC. That’s not just “athletes making money.”

He doesn't want it to be a part of the recruiting process and he states that. I know that when I was out looking for work, potential salary was on my mind and as much as many don't want to admit it, these players have high value and this is a job to them. I can guarantee you Barnes never agreed to a single job he has ever taken without talking about pay. There are two directions you can go with this, embrace it or buck against it. One is a way better path to take than the other. It's not likely to change back and the NCAA isn't going to say squat because the next stop will be revenue sharing for the players. This is the price of a handful of coaches/schools getting rich for decades on the backs of players, while denying them even the ability to make money on their own.

Reactions: coachputmein
Didn’t read the article, did he complain about players getting paid or is he saying that some schools are telling kids an amount that they won’t actually get? Seems like 2 very different things to me. He’s had no issue with guys on the team making appearances or getting deals, so hard to think he’s against players making money.

He complained about having to pitch NiL deals as part of the recruiting process. He doesn't want people choosing schools for what he considers the wrong reasons, i.e. NiL offers.

Reactions: HawkVol2213
He complained about having to pitch NiL deals as part of the recruiting process. He doesn't want people choosing schools for what he considers the wrong reasons, i.e. NiL offers.
I agree with being concerned that kids are going to get over promised and under delivered, but if that’s a concern, do what you can to get comfortable with the Spyre folks. Help the kids. I know he doesn’t consider that to be his job, but it is now.

Reactions: Volfan1000

VN Store

Back