Comic Books

In March 2020 I offered to read a classic series from #1 up to my kids. I gave them the choice of Amazing Spider-Man or Fantastic Four. To my surprise they picked FF.

We stayed pretty much exclusively on FF for a year but have been mixing in more titles throughout 2021 but last night we read #102. The last Jack Kirby issue.

I had probably read about 30% of that run previously so it was fun for me and them. They want to continue on and I probably will for a dozen or so more but then I want to skip up to the John Byrne era.

In March 2020 I offered to read a classic series from #1 up to my kids. I gave them the choice of Amazing Spider-Man or Fantastic Four. To my surprise they picked FF.

We stayed pretty much exclusively on FF for a year but have been mixing in more titles throughout 2021 but last night we read #102. The last Jack Kirby issue.

I had probably read about 30% of that run previously so it was fun for me and them. They want to continue on and I probably will for a dozen or so more but then I want to skip up to the John Byrne era.
Very nice. When they are older, they are going to look back and be so appreciative of this. Well done.

Reactions: BenGrimm

Sad news. Another great has left us. Neal was so influential not JUST as an artist but as an advocate for creators’ rights. He championed for the likes of Jack Kirby getting his art back from Marvel and led a winning campaign to get Superman creators paid when the first movie came out.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Love Tim Sale. Even n some books I didn’t think were written very well his work was always a pleasure to look at.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area this week should check out Heroes Con. It's June 24-26 at the Charlotte convention center and is by far one of the best pure comic book shows that's still around. Vendors are probably about 70% comics dealers versus the 10% you get at most pop culture shows now days. There are also tons of artists, writers and creators there to meet with. If you like comics at all, it's worth a look. My friends from Buzzard Brothers Comics have a bunch of Golden Age books there if you go, tell them I said hey.

Anyone in the Charlotte, NC area this week should check out Heroes Con. It's June 24-26 at the Charlotte convention center and is by far one of the best pure comic book shows that's still around. Vendors are probably about 70% comics dealers versus the 10% you get at most pop culture shows now days. There are also tons of artists, writers and creators there to meet with. If you like comics at all, it's worth a look. My friends from Buzzard Brothers Comics have a bunch of Golden Age books there if you go, tell them I said hey.

I want to go but going on vacation the following week and can’t justify the trip to myself…. Well I can but not really to my wife.

Reactions: Hurley Mooncalf
Superman #75 and then Funeral for a Friend put me on comic reading and collecting for the next 20+ years.
Same. Still have the Death of Superman issue as well as all of the Funeral for a Friend issues.

I even have the Doomsday and Superman action figure pack with the paperback book that has all of the issues included in it.

Reactions: BenGrimm

VN Store

Back