‘23 AL S Sylvester Smith

BOOM!
ddp-ddp-yoga.gif

4-Star DB Sylvester Smith breaks down his Tennessee commitment

“I was sitting there with my grandmother one day late in March and she asked me where my heart was. We sat there in silence for a few minutes, and I told her, my heart is with Tennessee.

“My grandmother is my best friend, we are very close, and after that conversation, I knew I was going to Tennessee. . .

. . .“Everyone is buying in under coach Heupel. Everyone is focused, everyone is working together, everyone is for each other, and there is about to be a big change at Tennessee."

“Coach Heupel is taking all the right steps to make that happen. Players are following his lead and players want to play for him. It is different up there now and Tennessee is going to be back on top very soon.”

“The people, the campus, the coaches, the vibe, the fans – it is all what I was looking for as a recruit. I fell in love with everyone at Tennessee and I couldn’t be happier."

HOW SMITH FITS IN WITH THE VOLS?
Smith is an athlete and will have plenty of options with the Volunteers. He can play either one of the safety spots as he runs well over the top in cover one. The defensive back is skilled in man-coverage as well, keeping pace with wideouts on the outside or in the slot, as they work across the field. The new Tennessee commit plays well in the box and around the line of scrimmage. His physicality allows him to take on blocks well and act as an added bonus in the run-game. Film shows his extended strides down the field and that helps him in defending the deep ball. Smith has good vision when reading the route tree and breaks on the ball fast. He’s quick-twitch and an instinctive player. At 6-foot-1, 200 pounds, the prospect packs a punch and runs his feet on contact. He plays like a linebacker, but has the speed and athleticism of a defensive back.

WHAT DOES SMITH’S COMMITMENT MEAN FOR TENNESSEE?
Tennessee’s latest commit adds another defensive back in the mix for a position group that’s about to turn over. Trevon Flowers will have exhausted his eligibility by the time Smith steps on campus and depending on the COVID-year, Jaylen McCollough could potentially be done as well. The STAR position is currently in flux, but a year from now, we’ll see Doneiko Slaughter approaching his senior campaign. 2022 signee Jourdan Thomas will be a sophomore at safety while Christian Charles will be a junior. Transfer Wesley Walker will also be an upperclassman.

Smith may also earn the opportunity to return kicks for Tennessee at some point in the future. He’s experienced in that regard – both in kicks and punts – and uses his long strides and good vision to hit the seam or sideline. Tennessee is picking up a guy who can do a little bit of everything. That’s why he’s one of the top prospects for this class, one who has coveted plenty of Power 5 priority interest.
VolQuest - Impact Analysis: Sylvester Smith becomes Tennessee’s ninth 2023 commit

Smith flashes elite lateral quickness and change of direction when you turn on the tape. His 5'11, 195lbs frame is well-equipped to deliver brutal blows to opposing players, and his natural ball skills allow him to routinely win one-on-one situations with receivers. If you turn on the film, all of that is pretty easy to see. However, the Yellow Hammer state standout believes his IQ for the game is what sets him apart from others.

"I mean, of course, you see the things on film, but what you really don't see is my IQ," Smith said of what makes his game different. "I have the best IQ in the country, and the way I understand the game, and the way I watch the film and break down film, and am able to tell if they're on the left hash, what's the percentage of them doing this, or what's the percentage of them doing that. Who are they going to go to? What's their alignment? How fast do they want to go here? What's the time on the clock? So really just paying attention to the little things like that helps me be in the right position to make a play or put my teammates in a position to make a play."

Smith is a "grinder" when it comes to his work ethic off the field. He never stops, from training sessions to the weight room to the film room. His IQ for the game grows daily with his skill set as he has aligned with former NFL DB T.J. Heath to grow mentally and physically inside of the game. "I have a trainer named T.J Heath," Smith said of the time he puts in off the field. "He played eight years in the NFL and CFL. I train at least Monday, Wednesday and Friday with him. Sometimes I go four times a week, too. It is really just grinding with him, being able to take away from him what he has learned and applying it to my game. He has been there and done that with guarding the best guys in the country. Just him implementing his knowledge and helping me pair it with my game has been a non-stop thing. I am a junior in high school, but the preparations I am making now are for the next level."
Inside The Game Of Alabama Safety Sylvester Smith - SI All-American

VN Store

Back