Questions From Noobs:Tennessee Baseball Edition

Will the Tennessee Tech game on April 12 be televised?

When do I get to lose that title?
be very glad you are not a noob to computer technology or social media.
believe me, it is an affliction you don't want to own

i was newbie to baseball with first baseball cards in 1957 and first sequoyah little league tryout in 1958 and continue to learn something new about this beautiful pastime every spring. not sure if i'll ever join whatever- you- call these platforms

touch typing is definitely out of the question

Are you allowed to change the pitcher if they have already thrown a pitch to the batter?
If yes, does the next pitcher continue with the balls/strikes on that batter or it starts over?

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Are you allowed to change the pitcher if they have already thrown a pitch to the batter?
If yes, does the next pitcher continue with the balls/strikes on that batter or it starts over?
You can change pitchers in the middle of a guy's at bat.
The count stays the same. Otherwise, for example, if there was a 3-0 count with bases full in the bottom of the ninth, there'd be a pitching change to reset the count.

Reactions: MAD and chuckiepoo
Why does the baseball manager wear a uniform? They don't play. I don't think any other sport does this. (I do remember a couple player coaches in NBA doing this: Dave Debusheaur and Bill Russell)

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Can someone break down velo projections for these younger prospects? If a kid is sitting mid 80s on his fastball as a sophomore in high school, where do you typically expect him to land as a freshman/sophomore in college? I see Derek Schaefer (2023) was topping out at 90mph (probably sitting mid 80s) as a sophomore in 2021 and supposedly Taylor Tracey (2025) is topping out at 86mph (likely sitting low 80s) as a Freshman. What is the typical range for these guys when they get to campus?

Reactions: MAD
No way to do that. It depends on size and how much they grow and mature. The kind of pitcher they become and many other qualifiers. When you realize that Crochet and Joyce were neither flame throwers in HS. If I remember right, Garrett was mid-80s when he arrived at UT. Some guys hit a wall and not get any faster and others mature and continue. Mabrey is also one of those who got stronger and changed hit motion to add velo.

This question is more of a general question about baseball.

When a catcher is sending a signal to the pitcher, why does the pitcher shake his head like he is saying no?

Wouldn’t the catcher have better insight in that situation?

Generally, yes. But not necessarily so. The catcher is trusted by staff to execute the game plan with respect to the pitcher. HIs call for a particular pitch is supposed to be consistent with that plan, or is a pitch relayed to him by staff to call. The pitcher may feel for some reason that call is not consistent with the plan or feels uncomfortable throwing that pitch to that batter. When a pitcher shakes off a large or increasing number of pitches, especially for numerous hitters, that can sometimes be the reason for the catcher and/or the pitching coach to come out to the mound for a meeting.

Why does someone from the dugout always throw a ball to the 1B at the end of a defensive inning? I assume it’s the ball used for the following inning’s infield warmups, and guess it just became a tradition of throwing it to him vs it just waiting for Luc in the dugout?

VN Store

Back