With the talent Tennessee has now accumulated, what would you consider a successful season?

9 regular season wins = success

10 regular season wins is a banner season.

11-15 wins means everything that has ever gone wrong since 2001 SECCG just swung the karmic pendulum so hard that we got knocked into the luckiest set of circumstances in the history of VN

9 regular season wins = success

10 regular season wins is a banner season.

11-15 wins means everything that has ever gone wrong since 2001 SECCG just swung the karmic pendulum so hard that we got knocked into the luckiest set of circumstances in the history of VN

Well friend, you spoke from the heart, and that's what counts the most. :cool:

I've come to regard the ncaa tournament as fools gold. You meet a hot team one night and no matter how good you are you can go down. Just ask Rick and the boys. We could have a fabulous season and stumble in the tournament and have a bad taste in our mouths even though it wouldn't be fair to the accomplishments of the season.

I just want to see us compete (I'm adopting Majors stated minimum expectations) with the best teams on our schedule, and win our share of those contests, and beat the ones we're supposed to beat. That means giving SC a really good run for their money in the SEC regular season and tournament, and finishing the season with a rep as one of the very toughest teams in the country to beat. Basically, I want us to make enough noise next season that the best recruits in the country start wanting to come here, and recruiting the top players becomes a lot easier than it has been.

We have two of the best at their position players in the country: Jackson and Horston. Three if Key improves offseason. And an all big ten PG. And we are plenty deep at the 1, 2, 3, and 4. But there is an if at the starting 4 (Will Franklin recover from her injury?) and the starting 5 (will Key take the next step?) and backup 5. There's enough for certain to have the above be the minimum expectation. But there's enough questions not to name a title or a tournament berth or a particular victory over a particular team as THE big goal.

Considering we were a top 5 team before injuries and a number 1 seed this past year. This roster is better deeper so Top 5 1 Seed and final 4. Coach has carefully picked portal for her type of player that fits with her returning team and oh by the way 1 has player of the year Talent. In CHRIST Alone
We were a top 5 team???

An undefeated season culminating in the program's 9th NC; winning every game by at least 25 points; zero turnovers in each and every game; every starting player being named First team All-American team and the other LVs filling out the 2nd and 3rd AA teams; and at the end of the NCAA tournament, Dawn, Geno, Tara, and Kym all announce their retirements because "there is no point in trying to compete against Tennessee"

ANYTHING less than that would conclusively prove that Kellie's LVs are not living up "to expectations." And ANYONE suggesting that these expectations are not reasonable is a "sunshine pumper" who will accept lower standards....

Last edited:
Elite 8 and SEC runner up at least… this portal stuff could hurt future potential if no results

As with last year team, it's still trust the process. I think achieving a S16 berth is a solid definite with a strong possibility of making the E8. Personally, I have not seen enough to start saying a F4 berth is in the cards. We have to get our turnover numbers downs significantly, 1-10 range. Offensively, we are not explosive enough to make up a gap against teams like SC's and UCONN. Our new additions should solidify stable guard play. The 3 and 4 for me is a little bit of question mark, we have depth, but we don't necessarily know how strong those coming back from injury will be throughout the course of the season. But it should provide an opportunity for the younger players to get quality playing time particularly in big games. This will be of immense value late in the season. The X factor in how far we go as a team in terms of beating a SC, UCONN, or STAN is the 5 spot. If Ms. Key can take a major step in developing more aggressive post moves and a mid range shot, it will open up the offense so much more. It will also force other teams to defend us differently, and open things up for our shooters. Beyond that I still believe we have to improve our 3pt. shooting against elite teams who are likely to be in the F4. Defensively, we have to be more dominant in disrupting the other teams tempo and rhythm. Offensively, I still believe we have to modernize our offense. Finally, get everyone in the program a copy of Tim Grover's Relentless and Winning, and immerse it's principles throughout your program. Go Lady Vols:)

When we can do this regularly to our opponents, we will be successful...Everything else is conversation.
billy-jack-in-action-kick-in-the-face.gif

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I don’t have minimal expectations because that’s not giving credit to these ladies and their game.

We actually are one of the most consistent programs. We had our regular expected graduates and only had one transfer out, and she didn’t see the floor much but was a great teammate. We were E8/F4 bound this season had injuries not depleted us. We bring in Top 7 pick Rickea Jackson, an experienced PG. and future draft pick herself in Jasmine Powell, A DPOY and all conference player in Jasmine Franklin, and a 5 star freshman in Justine Pissott. Barring anyone in the team regressing or god forbid any injuries.. this team is a F4 team with a high quality coaching staff. There’s honestly no reason a game should be lost but I’m sure it’ll happen. The lineups make it so foul trouble shouldn’t stop us from continuing to have a good/effective game. People continue to forget we also bring back Marta who’s 6’2 and extremely versatile in her ability to play the 3/4/5 and her shooting ability. This squad is just that…. SQUADDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!

We bring in Top 7 pick Rickea Jackson, an experienced PG. and future draft pick herself in Jasmine Powell, A DPOY and all conference player in Jasmine Franklin, and a 5 star freshman in Justine Pissott. Barring anyone in the team regressing or god forbid any injuries.. this team is a F4 team with a high quality coaching staff. There’s honestly no reason a game should be lost but I’m sure it’ll happen.

I believe we’ve got a good chance at being that good, too, but we have to keep in mind it might take a while for all the newcomers and returners to build chemistry on the court. So I’m anxious to see the schedule. Because if we play any of the top teams really early, before the team has had enough time to learn each other’s tendencies, that might be when we take a loss or two.

The number of lineup combinations this team could throw at opponents is absolutely mind blowing.

Obviously, one has to see next year's team in action before making projections as to how far the Vols might go. One can't make blind assumptions about how new players will perform or will integrate with the returning players, and one has to see what sort of chemistry and cohesion the team has. In other words, patience: Players/teams on paper don't win championships.

Last season ended with a S-16 game.

The team has added lots of talent.

Logically that should result in a better finish.

Less than E-8 would be a serious disappointment.

there are 356 div. I teams.

8/356 = 2.24, or about the top 2%.

FF = top 1%

Are we a top 1 or 2 percent team?

By this time next year we will know.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
The problem with this question is that a season involves a combination of outcomes.

Imagine, the LVs win the SEC regular season (lets say go undefeated across their conference schedule) and even win the SEC tournament but then lose a close game in their sweet 16 match-up. How does would that season rank in terms of progression?.

I don't think the LVs are at the final four or bust stage. Obviously, if they accomplish that goal next season that would fantastic but there are many ways the LVs could have a successful season without being a Final four team.

Honestly, if someone feels the season only has value if the team makes the FF, then why follow over the course of season? Just wait and see if they make it to the promised land and then watch. Heck maybe wait until they get the championship game since that is the only game that counts for anything.

Otherwise, you have to enjoy the season long journey with the realization that going to the FF takes some luck (not losing key players to injuries, having the ball bounce (or a call go) your way in a crucial moment of a close game etc.).

This season provide a LOT of great and enjoyable moments but it seems like a hardened segment of posters of board had no fun at all during the run because they were so wedded to "expectations" (yeah, we won but too many TOs, blah, blah, blah)

The problem with this question is that a season involves a combination of outcomes.

Imagine, the LVs win the SEC regular season (lets say go undefeated across their conference schedule) and even win the SEC tournament but then lose a close game in their sweet 16 match-up. How does would that season rank in terms of progression?.

I don't think the LVs are at the final four or bust stage. Obviously, if they accomplish that goal next season that would fantastic but there are many ways the LVs could have a successful season without being a Final four team.

Honestly, if someone feels the season only has value if the team makes the FF, then why follow over the course of season? Just wait and see if they make it to the promised land and then watch. Heck maybe wait until they get the championship game since that is the only game that counts for anything.

Otherwise, you have to enjoy the season long journey with the realization that going to the FF takes some luck (not losing key players to injuries, having the ball bounce (or a call go) your way in a crucial moment of a close game etc.).

This season provide a LOT of great and enjoyable moments but it seems like a hardened segment of posters of board had no fun at all during the run because they were so wedded to "expectations" (yeah, we won but too many TOs, blah, blah, blah)

You get a standing ovation from me, Madtown!!

Reactions: madtownvol
I believe we’ve got a good chance at being that good, too, but we have to keep in mind it might take a while for all the newcomers and returners to build chemistry on the court. So I’m anxious to see the schedule. Because if we play any of the top teams really early, before the team has had enough time to learn each other’s tendencies, that might be when we take a loss or two.

The number of lineup combinations this team could throw at opponents is absolutely mind blowing.

Even while that chemistry is being built, there’s enough continuity on this team to feel very good about them even if they’d only brought in Pissott.. my expectations will remain high for this upcoming season

VN Store

Back