College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

We should’ve gave Kennedy an offer he couldn’t refuse.
It doesn’t work that way for kids with a guarantee of going in the 1st rd. Tshiebwe is the perfect college player, sort of like Grant Williams was, for us. The kind of kid who dominates but doesn’t project well to the NBA, thus forcing him to return to school. Grant could have made a good chunk of change in NIL money had he come around 7-8 years later.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
It doesn’t work that way for kids with a guarantee of going in the 1st rd. Tshiebwe is the perfect college player, sort of like Grant Williams was, for us. The kind of kid who dominates but doesn’t project well to the NBA, thus forcing him to return to school. Grant could have made a good chunk of change in NIL money had he come around 7-8 years later.
Is Kennedy guaranteed though? Doesn’t seem like it. He’s a first round talent to me, but that hasn’t shown so far on mock drafts.

I would’ve thrown the Nico 8 million package at him. Not my money, but if the people at Tennessee are serious about winning at basketball, they should’ve been perfectly fine paying him.

Is Kennedy guaranteed though? Doesn’t seem like it. He’s a first round talent to me, but that hasn’t shown so far on mock drafts.

I would’ve thrown the Nico 8 million package at him. Not my money, but if the people at Tennessee are serious about winning at basketball, they should’ve been perfectly fine paying him.

Kennedy is currently the consensus #17 pick.

2022 NBA Draft Consensus Big Board - Rookie Scale

The latest CBS mock draft has him going 23rd. Usually when you’re around that range nothing is guaranteed, especially with the combine still to come.

23 is solidly in the first round and worth 4 million or so guaranteed dollars, but that site claims to aggregate 150+ mock drafts to arrive at 17, 17 is over 5 million guaranteed.

I expect Kennedy to move up after the combine if anything. I think his wingspan, vertical leap and speed will all wow people.

23 is solidly in the first round and worth 4 million or so guaranteed dollars, but that site claims to aggregate 150+ mock drafts to arrive at 17, 17 is over 5 million guaranteed.

I expect Kennedy to move up after the combine if anything. I think his wingspan, vertical leap and speed will all wow people.
Oh it will, no doubt. And yeah, which is why I said we should’ve offered him 8 million to come back.

Oh it will, no doubt. And yeah, which is why I said we should’ve offered him 8 million to come back.

The only hoops player who will command that kind of NIL money is Bronny James imo. He will basically be a marketing dream. I could see Nike signing him soon. Zion Williams may have as well a few years ago. But it's either going to be someone tied to a massive name, like Bronny or a no doubt about it, #1 pick who is a generational type. Durant/James etc.

Penny is apparently landing Antoine Davis. More talent for One Cent to waste. Can’t wait to see them miss the tournament this year. They lose a lot from this past year.

Recruiting is not One Cent’s problem. Coaching, figuring out substitution patterns and playing pet players are.

The only hoops player who will command that kind of NIL money is Bronny James imo. He will basically be a marketing dream. I could see Nike signing him soon. Zion Williams may have as well a few years ago. But it's either going to be someone tied to a massive name, like Bronny or a no doubt about it, #1 pick who is a generational type. Durant/James etc.
If we’re giving a guy who has never stepped foot on a college football field 8 million dollars, no reason we can’t do the same thing to an SEC Championship point guard.

If we’re giving a guy who has never stepped foot on a college football field 8 million dollars, no reason we can’t do the same thing to an SEC Championship point guard.
I think we did offer him a nil deal although it’s hard to say for how much, it’s still hard to beat the allure of professional ball and the chance to make even more down the road

I think we did offer him a nil deal although it’s hard to say for how much, it’s still hard to beat the allure of professional ball and the chance to make even more down the road
For sure, but I feel like if we offered 8 million he would be a Vol right now.

Uh, there is a HUGE difference between $8 million across 3-4 years in the sport that generates the most revenue in all of college athletics, and giving a1-year $8 million deal to Kennedy Chandler to return. Like, it's not even remotely the same thing lol.

Uh, there is a HUGE difference between $8 million across 3-4 years in the sport that generates the most revenue in all of college athletics, and giving a1-year $8 million deal to Kennedy Chandler to return. Like, it's not even remotely the same thing lol.
you’re right, there’s more value in Chandler than that. He deserved 10 million 😉

Reactions: i2amavol
Any possible Nova transfers or recruits coming out of this?
They have zero players committed or signed in the 2023 class. 2022 is mostly wings.

Trey Patterson is a guy who was highly rated out of high school. Tennessee offered before he committed to Villanova.

Nnanna Njoku is a big physical post player. Had some injury issues this season, but has some huge potential.

Villanova seems like such a well-oiled machine and truly elite program that I cannot imagine there will be a mass exodus (or really any exodus) by their players into the portal

I mean there was clearly a plan in place. They announced the retirement and replacement in a 15-minute window. I’m sure Jay encouraged all his guys to stay and I bet they will.

Football players are inherently more valuable here. Especially players at that level. Imagine how many companies would love to have had Peyton Manning as a spokesperson while here. It's just simple facts that football drives the bus in sports. That's why Kansas couldn't get into another league and had to stay in the remnants.

VN Store

Back