Can We Get Saban Before Retirement?

unfrozencvmanvol

Nico came, he saw, he conquered.
I got looking at the records of SEC teams against the little devil at Bama and there are still 5 teams in the SEC who have never beat his Tide, and sadly we are among them. In fact, us and Arkansas have gotten it the worst from Little Nicky. We were 7-16-2 against the Bear at Bama, one of the better records against him, but they ran off 11 straight from 71' to 81'. Nonetheless, we got him in 82' the year he retired, and it was glorious. Do we get Saban before he hangs up his head set?

Auburn, 5-10
LSU, 4-12
Georgia, 2-7
Texas A&M, 2-8
Ole Miss, 2-13
Florida, 1-8
Miss State, 1-14
South Carolina, 1-2
Vanderbilt, 0-3
Missouri, 0-4
Kentucky, 0-5
Arkansas, 0-15
Tennessee, 0-15

Auburn obviously has fared the best, followed by LSU. The other thing that jumps out at me is these teams that only played him 3-4 times. GTFOH. The SEC has got to fix that.

I hear you, but it didn't look like we'd get the Bear either, until we did. In 1982, come the Third Saturday in October, Bama was ranked No. 2 and we were 2-2-1. We were 3-2-1 when the game ended.

I hope we get him, but I've lost all faith in beating him.

And I agree with you on having to play them every year while the other East teams don't.

End the permanent rival thing.

I hope we get him, but I've lost all faith in beating him.

And I agree with you on having to play them every year while the other East teams don't.

End the permanent rival thing.
I don't want to end the rivalry, but I'd like to see everyone play more often. 3 times in 15 years for Vandy and South Carolina is ridiculous. The latest I've heard is that the SEC is considering going to a 9 game schedule once OU and TX join, with 3 permanent rivals, and you rotate the other two sets of 6 every year. That's more fair. What they were talking about wasn't a pod, it's just everyone having 3 permanent rivals. It'll preserve the most rivalries too, and every team will get at least one home and one away against every other team, every 4 years. Give us Bama, Kentucky and Vandy as our permanents and I'll take that.

With the Haslam faction pulling the strings Tennessee will always have to settle for our fifth or sixth choice. Saban wouldn’t come here even for the proverbial “dump truck” filled with cash.

Doubt it.

But there’s hope. We’re recruiting legally at a high level now; his offense even without elite talent has been a problem for even Bama. There’s no reason to think with enough time that Heupel can’t do what Freeze did at Ole Miss. I just don’t know that we put everything together that fast.

I hear you, but it didn't look like we'd get the Bear either, until we did. In 1982, come the Third Saturday in October, Bama was ranked No. 2 and we were 2-2-1. We were 3-2-1 when the game ended.
We beat Bear 1967, 1968, 1969 and 1970. I was there. Totally dominated him last 2 games.

Among the greatest days of my life.

The thing that will make Saban retire is when the reality of the NIL shows his recruiting advantage has disappeared. Paying for the best is now a common thing. Think about it, how much would it take for you to move to Tuscaloosa for four years............I thought so.

With the Haslam faction pulling the strings Tennessee will always have to settle for our fifth or sixth choice. Saban wouldn’t come here even for the proverbial “dump truck” filled with cash.
Eric, you completely missed the OP's point. You should've read beyond just the title before posting.

And yep, I do think we'll get a W or two over Saban before he retires. In fact, I'm sincerely hoping that us starting to beat Bama is the reason he retires. Heh.

Go Vols!

Last edited:
I got looking at the records of SEC teams against the little devil at Bama and there are still 5 teams in the SEC who have never beat his Tide, and sadly we are among them. In fact, us and Arkansas have gotten it the worst from Little Nicky. We were 7-16-2 against the Bear at Bama, one of the better records against him, but they ran off 11 straight from 71' to 81'. Nonetheless, we got him in 82' the year he retired, and it was glorious. Do we get Saban before he hangs up his head set?

Auburn, 5-10
LSU, 4-12
Georgia, 2-7
Texas A&M, 2-8
Ole Miss, 2-13
Florida, 1-8
Miss State, 1-14
South Carolina, 1-2
Vanderbilt, 0-3
Missouri, 0-4
Kentucky, 0-5
Arkansas, 0-15
Tennessee, 0-15

Auburn obviously has fared the best, followed by LSU. The other thing that jumps out at me is these teams that only played him 3-4 times. GTFOH. The SEC has got to fix that.

When we stop thinking we can't beat him is when we will beat him.

Reactions: IndianaVol
Eric, you completely missed the OP's point. You should've read beyond just the title before posting.

And yep, I do think we'll get a W or two over Saban before he retires. In fact, I'm sincerely hoping that us starting to beat Bama is the reason he retires. Heh.

Go Vols!
Lol. When I read the title I thought that's what op meant. Then I saw who op was and knew he wouldn't post that so I read it.

Sigh. Is all I have to say. Can't change the past. Sure would love to get him at least once before he hangs it up.

Happy Resurrection day to you and your family JP.

The thing that will make Saban retire is when the reality of the NIL shows his recruiting advantage has disappeared. Paying for the best is now a common thing. Think about it, how much would it take for you to move to Tuscaloosa for four years............I thought so.

Saban has already expressed his displeasure over how the NIL has morphed into a recruiting war. Hopefully your prediction on leveling the playing field will drive him to retirement when he doesn't get all the best players anymore. I wasn't particularly for the NIL deal in the beginning but now I see how if can help even out recruiting although I think the NCAA will eventually put some restrictions on it.

Reactions: thistime

Recruiting is so much refined now and while there are anecdotal stories of a 3 star becoming a 1st round draft pick, the services's ratings are proving more and more accurate.

So as long as Saban keeps signing 4 and 5 stars and we keep signing 3 and 4 stars, the answer in NO.

This.........all day long. Bama's built in recruiting advantage (cheating) is over. Who would want to live in Turdtown if the money is as good somewhere else?

VN Store

Back