College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

Good for Lanier. Seems more and more likely he’ll get the nod for UT if he’s successful there.

What is the benchmark for “success” at SMU? I know they’re a very historically successful program, but not as in tune with the current “expectations”

Good for Lanier. Seems more and more likely he’ll get the nod for UT if he’s successful there.

What is the benchmark for “success” at SMU? I know they’re a very historically successful program, but not as in tune with the current “expectations”
I kind of wonder how much of a step up our program is honestly. I love Tennessee as much as the next person, but if he does very well there it may be harder than we think to hire him when Barnes retires

I kind of wonder how much of a step up our program is honestly. I love Tennessee as much as the next person, but if he does very well there it may be harder than we think to hire him when Barnes retires
We can definitely pay more than most schools, subject of many complaints from muted folks.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Good point. I feel confident in Danny White paying top dollar for a coach if he’s the real deal.

Reactions: Volflyfisher
The Tennessee job has never been more attractive than it is right now. Top 5 attendance every year, showed we’re willing to pay a lot of money towards basketball if you’re winning. High end facilities, Been proven that you can recruit at a high level here with Barnes. It’s right there with Arkansas as the second best job in the league

Yeah he did something that’s been completely legal now for like a decade… It holds 0 weight
We’ve dealt too much with the NCAA in the past to risk it. Also, Barnes will be here at least another 4 years if things go smoothly, so idk how that’s not enough time to see how well Lanier does at SMU. A pretty big basketball school to show how good you can be. IMO if he does good things there then he’s earned a look at Tennessee.

We’ve dealt too much with the NCAA in the past to risk it. Also, Barnes will be here at least another 4 years if things go smoothly, so idk how that’s not enough time to see how well Lanier does at SMU. A pretty big basketball school to show how good you can be. IMO if he does good things there then he’s earned a look at Tennessee.
I’ll also add kelvin sampson is basically the same age as Rick Barnes. I think you need to hire a guy with good experience, but one who is at least still in his 50’s. Sampson and Barnes both up closer to 70

Reactions: walkenvol

Coaches normally never finish out their contracts all the way without getting another extension or leaving. I think it’s very likely he retires before that contract is up

I’ll also add kelvin sampson is basically the same age as Rick Barnes. I think you need to hire a guy with good experience, but one who is at least still in his 50’s. Sampson and Barnes both up closer to 70

Not even close to being the same person. Sampson is coming off a final four and a elite 8 back to back. He goes far in the tournament without blinking a eye.

VN Store

Back