Brandon Huntley-Hatfield enters the transfer portal

Have heard Georgetown (the dumpster fire) might be someplace to watch
Hopefully this is just an emotional decision that teenagers are prone to make. He would be wise to let said emotion wash over Him and make an informed decision. If He truly believes His best interests are served elsewhere ?! Good luck and God's speed.

What a dumb, impulsive decision. His minutes almost certainly will go up substantially next year, and so what's the point--except for getting in on the portal trend. The guy and his family are not thinking very well....
exactly! Where is he going to get MORE NIL money than at UT realistically! It’s clear the kid simply doesn’t understand how to work hard to get better and has a sense of entitlement! Good riddance!

BHH had the most potential on this team, imo. I felt he was caught off guard by the speed and athleticism he had to go up against in college. I don't think he was ready from a fitness perspective. I played college athletics too, though on a much smaller scale. I remember my first year being completely thrown off by the physical fitness condition I needed to be at to keep pace. By not being able to keep up, I couldn't do the fundamental things as well. That first offseason was a huge stepping stone for me to actually work on getting to the type of fitness I needed to be at.

My point being, I really felt BHH just needed one offseason at the collegiate level, particularly in UTs program, to turn his game to the next level. He probably got away with slacking on his fitness a little in HS considering he is so naturally gifted and talented. I don't think leaving is the long term best idea. But it has to be that he wants starting minutes and we still have ORN, Plav ahead of him and sharing minutes with Aidoo.

I didn't like losing Bailey, even though he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He had a lot of potential. BHH I hope is just him trying for a NIL deal or something. Hope he stays.

I'm interested here. What exactly made you think Bailey had "potential"? He's been in CBB for 11 years now, and regressed big this year from a lackluster level last.

BTW, Im glad for his contribution and dedication here.

This flat out sugggs. I was very hopeful for what the staff was going to do do develop BHH and the other 2 bigs this off-season. Watching those 3 FF teams w killer bigs had me dreaming of ORN, JA, & BHH rocking it next season. Don't look likely.

When HH committed, i was excited to get a 5 star big man, and assumed that we would get some level of instant impact. But it turns out he is a project. That was a disappointment to Smokey Dog Nation. He may have 5 star talent (he does indeed), but it will be multiple seasons (at least two) before he develops. Right now, we need something more than that for this coming season. Who knows how Aidoo might progress this offseason, and Uros is a good backup, but not what we need as a starter. And ON isn't a world beater, either. I would rather BHH stay and develop here under Barnes, but I don't think he would have made much difference this coming season. We need a big or two with experience for this season whether he would have stayed or not. If we can pick that up in the portal, we'll quickly forget about BHH.

I didn't like losing Bailey, even though he couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. He had a lot of potential. BHH I hope is just him trying for a NIL deal or something. Hope he stays.
Bailey is going to be a graduate transfer. At some point, potential becomes reality.... and I think we're way past that point with Bailey.

He's a good dude though. I wish him the best.

I remember earlier in the year during a game, Chandler put his hand on BHH and he smacked it off like he was an enemy...weird energy

Reactions: Ref4Life
Maybe I’m in the minority here but I’m with you. I didn’t see the bad player some on here see. I saw youth couple with good hands, great footwork, good size, and nice touch and those are things you can’t teach. He absolutely has All-SEC potential, maybe even first round draft pick potential.
Do you think CRB should have caved to his demands and put BHH above the rest of the team?

It's his right to make that a condition of him staying and it's Barnes's right to say no.

Would hate to see him in either a KY or Auburn uniform.
I would rather like for him to be on a rival. He will take up a roster spot and do very little to help that team win any meaningful games. I wish him the best but if Vegas was setting a betting line on him being a primary piece of a highly successful team....you could get incredible odds betting that he WOULD. He has some physical talent (although not as much as most keep parroting). The dreaded 5-star label that can't be scrubbed from your subconscious.

He has good size. Decent length. Good strength but he doesn't play with strength. He is not an explosive athlete. Not a high or quick leaper. His shot is not a strength. He does not have soft touch. His footwork is above average. No handles or feel for ballhandling. Below average passer. Does not work hard on his craft on his own. Does not play the game with passion, intensity, or a motor.

If never labeled as a highly ranked 5-star it would be easier to view him as what is listed above. Instead we just continue to lazily talk about how much potential he had that we needed. From what I have seen from him, the sad part is he NEEDED a coach like Barnes to have a chance at the NBA. He is not nearly as talented as most on here think and without a ton of growth he is unlikely to make an NBA roster.

Do you think CRB should have caved to his demands and put BHH above the rest of the team?
If it’s true that BHH demanded 30 mpg or he was leaving then of course not. I doubt we know the full story of what happened but Barnes definitely couldn’t give in to such a demand whether it’s from BHH, Steven Pearl, or Michael Jordan. Well, maybe for Jordan.

Honestly don't see how he would've started next year, particularly if we pull Phillips. Even without, ON was certainly starting at one of those spots, and honestly Aidoo would've made sense at the other spot. Certainly would not have come close to 30 mpg.

What makes you think that? I don’t know him one way or the other, but if the rumor is phone call I don’t have any reason to doubt that specific detail.
I guess he could have easily texted him or emailed also.....
No extremely uncomfortable situation for him.
Forgot he reclassified but do believe now it was about the family pushing him.
It really doesn't matter but if you can't go face to face with a person to tell them you are moving on then don't want him anyway.
His Family has more than likely screwed this up with just bad advice. Poor Kid.
Age of Entitlement...

I would rather like for him to be on a rival. He will take up a roster spot and do very little to help that team win any meaningful games. I wish him the best but if Vegas was setting a betting line on him being a primary piece of a highly successful team....you could get incredible odds betting that he WOULD. He has some physical talent (although not as much as most keep parroting). The dreaded 5-star label that can't be scrubbed from your subconscious.

He has good size. Decent length. Good strength but he doesn't play with strength. He is not an explosive athlete. Not a high or quick leaper. His shot is not a strength. He does not have soft touch. His footwork is above average. No handles or feel for ballhandling. Below average passer. Does not work hard on his craft on his own. Does not play the game with passion, intensity, or a motor.

If never labeled as a highly ranked 5-star it would be easier to view him as what is listed above. Instead we just continue to lazily talk about how much potential he had that we needed. From what I have seen from him, the sad part is he NEEDED a coach like Barnes to have a chance at the NBA. He is not nearly as talented as most on here think and without a ton of growth he is unlikely to make an NBA roster.

As the zen master said, "We'll see."

If I could see the future, I would have a lot more money than I do now.

You guys need to get ready for more of this. A lot of the higher level recruits have a steady stream of relatives, friends and AAU coaches in their ear. If they don’t get the playing time they expect, you’ll see them hit the portal. It’s now the way of the world. Might as well get used to it.

Since when has it not been like this? NBA just needs to lower the draft eligibility age and be done with it. There’s more of a support system now for guys who don’t get drafted - d league, international. If they want to be pros, let them be pros.

We get so wound up about 5 star ratings for recruits and players. Most of the time they 5 star player does not have a 5 star heart to go with their ability. Yes, I used a Butchism, but kids with all the talent in the world that do not have the desire, passion or work ethic to becoming the best that they can be, are not ever going to sustain success. BHH seems to be a great talent, but if the work ethic isnt there to earn your spot, then you cant make demands to be given it especially on a Barnes coached team. The other piece to this could be BHH's family and handlers could have put the word out that he was unhappy and they are being iundated with NIL deals to other schools. If he goes, he goes!

I agree with most of this. However, to the extent that a few others have painted him as nigh irreplaceable, it feels like your critique might be a little hypercritical.

For his position, I actually think BHH is actually a pretty good passer, and his jumper inside 15' is also certainly more than adequate.

That said, I agree with the rest. He has no post moves. He's strong, but doesn't implement strength as part of his arsenal because he wants to be a finesse player. He's likely been allowed by previous coaches to float around the perimeter masquerading as a guard and never made it a point to develop his inside game, which was exposed at the college level. Years of coddling and placating have done him no good, and Barnes seems to have communicated that the buck stops with him.

It's really surprising that a player who has likely never been held accountable would want to play for Barnes. It isn't like his reputation is a secret, and I highly doubt Barnes sold him a bill of goods in an effort to sign him, so the marriage just seemed odd from the start. The divorce, now, shouldn't be much of a surprise. It felt like the light may have come on for BHH at the mid-season point, but that obviously wasn't sustained, unfortunately. To me, the glimpses of his talent and and potential are obvious, but as you said, the drive/motor/desire just doesn't seem to be there.

BHH may just be exploring his opportunities. He may change his mind and I hope he does. I think he is set up to have a great year. I think he may be like most people. Grass always seems greener on the other side.

Reactions: VolDaddy61 and jp1

VN Store

Back