2022 Team Accolades

From D1 Baseball today…….

1 — Tennessee Showing No Signs Of Slowing Down

The Volunteers have had an incredible season thus far, but many thought Tony Vitello’s club might hit a roadblock on the road against Vanderbilt this past weekend. Yeah, that didn’t happen. The total opposite occurred. Freshman righthanded pitchers Chase Burns and Drew Beam once again were fantastic and Georgia Southern transfer righthanded pitcher Chase Dollander put together the best start of his Vols career in a series-clinching victory. The Vols did more than enough offensively to control the entire series, too. UT’s run has caused many to ask us where this team ranks in terms of the best teams in the modern era. The 2017 Oregon State team, which didn’t win the national title, had 50-plus wins entering the College World Series, and last year’s Arkansas club didn’t have a losing weekend until the NCAA Super Regional round. Those feats will be tough to beat for the Volunteers, but at this point, can anyone doubt them? What a special, special club with no obvious weaknesses.

From D1 Baseball today…….

1 — Tennessee Showing No Signs Of Slowing Down

The Volunteers have had an incredible season thus far, but many thought Tony Vitello’s club might hit a roadblock on the road against Vanderbilt this past weekend. Yeah, that didn’t happen. The total opposite occurred. Freshman righthanded pitchers Chase Burns and Drew Beam once again were fantastic and Georgia Southern transfer righthanded pitcher Chase Dollander put together the best start of his Vols career in a series-clinching victory. The Vols did more than enough offensively to control the entire series, too. UT’s run has caused many to ask us where this team ranks in terms of the best teams in the modern era. The 2017 Oregon State team, which didn’t win the national title, had 50-plus wins entering the College World Series, and last year’s Arkansas club didn’t have a losing weekend until the NCAA Super Regional round. Those feats will be tough to beat for the Volunteers, but at this point, can anyone doubt them? What a special, special club with no obvious weaknesses.

I started to post that today, but wasn’t sure if it was cool to do so.

I started to post that today, but wasn’t sure if it was cool to do so.
Until Rogers or Fitt threaten a lawsuit, its all good……….:)
This was only one paragraph from the article so I think its fine, copying and pasting entire articles is “probably“ frowned upon. Personally, I think snippets about the Vols should be fine however Freak may need to chime in too.

I skipped the week of copyright law back in the day……….

Also from the same article from the post above:

FIVE PLAYERS WHO HAVE MY ATTENTION
5 — Drew Gilbert, Tennessee

It was easy to be sold on Gilbert the first time I saw him at the Round Rock Classic a couple of seasons ago. Heck, I liked him on the mound, too. But the hard-nosed slugger has blossomed into one of the nation’s premier hitters this spring. The thing I love about Gilbert is that while he has a grandiose home run trot, he’s wearing teams out for the most part – not with the home run — but with extra base hits and overall consistency. Gilbert, following the Vandy series win, is now hitting .452 with 10 doubles, two triples, three home runs and 30 RBIs. He also has an excellent eye at the plate with 17 walks and 11 strikeouts. He ranks fifth nationally in batting average and OPS.

"The halfway point of the college baseball season has arrived and as such we have a ton of honors and awards to give out to the sport’s best and brightest. The storyline of the season so far has been the dominance of the No. 1 Tennessee Volunteers program, as the Vols are currently 31-1 and an even more absurd 12-0 in conference play. The team has been relentless in terms of both run production and prevention, and there’s no one playing with more energy right now than Tennessee, and those Volunteers are Perfect Game’s 2022 Midseason Team of the Year."

"The best freshman in the country has been Tennessee’s Friday night starter Chase Burns, though he’s had some stiff competition from fellow rotation-mate Drew Beam. Burns has always had wildly electric stuff, but the fact that he’s doing what he’s doing in the biggest conference in baseball is still hard to process. The advancement of the arsenal and command has been a huge testament to the work he’s put in over the last ~12 months or so, and we’re looking forward to see what he can bring to the second half of the season.

From the last game of the 2021 season to the first of 2022, Tennessee had to replace five of the starters on the field that day and completely rebuild the pitching rotation from the ground up. Oh, and their projected first-rounder, along with another flamethrower who was expected to start, have both effectively missed the season up to this point. Tony Vitello’s confidence in his young guys on the mound, two true freshmen and a true sophomore transfer, has been rewarded as Tennessee has statistically been the best pitching staff in the country, while the offense leads the nation in home runs. Vitello has led a huge culture shift in Knoxville and with one loss in 32 games, he’s our Midseason Coach of the Year."

Midseason Perfect Game/Rawlings College Baseball Awards

Player of the Year: Jake Gelof, 3B, Virginia
Pitcher of the Year: Cooper Hjerpe, LHP, Oregon State
Freshman of the Year: Chase Burns, RHP, Tennessee*
Coach of the Year: Tony Vitello, Tennessee
Team of the Year: Tennessee

Last edited:
279233361_5441008062585539_8651992487183199237_n.jpg

Congrats to Kirby 👏🏽👏🏽 He was named to the 2022 SEC Baseball Community Service Team this morning.

Tennessee - Kirby Connell, LHP, Jr., Blacksburg, S.C.

Connell excelled in his junior year at Tennessee making a difference in the community. Not only did his work serve the people of Knoxville, the reach of his service extended globally as he went on a week-long service trip to Belize over the summer. In the summer immersion experience in Belize, Connell served alongside the Hearts of Christ Children's Ministry and the YMCA of Belize to strengthen the local community and form bonds through sport. Locally, Connell's spent time volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters.

2022 SEC Baseball Community Service Team Announced

VN Store

Back