Tennessee Lady Vol News

I've never felt TK's struggles were about lack of effort, nor being a girly girl. Those are simple resort answers that aren't quite accurate IMO.

I saw an interview where TK said she had a hard time believing she was one of the top players in the SEC. This after one of her best games. She simply has an incredibly humble, low key (no pun) mindset that may not be compatible with elite athlete status. Can you imagine Rhyne Howard having to be convinced she's among the best?

This basic personality, plus a few physical limitations, plus the fouling burden, have made it hard for TK to be consistent in the SEC. I do believe she can get some better, and will work hard to do so.

As for the blocks, unpopular opinion but I believe the uber blocking has actually set TK back in other areas of her game. Of course her presence influences the other's team offense, but I wonder if the fouls that block attempts are always going to cause, plus the effect of tentativeness on her overall game, has even been worth it. JMO, but I'd take a TK who blocks 3 shots a game and contributes on offense as opposed to someone who blocks 10 a game occasionally and spectacularly but suffers in other areas.

I really like and appreciate TK and hope she has a great senior season.

Key is nowhere on the level of the top bigs in wcbb. She just isn't. She gets some blocks cuz she's tall. If I had a nickel for every easy layup she missed I'd be a rich man. Her talent is she's tall. That's it. Need A REAL big...who gives max effort. Her as the main force down low dooms you to going nowhere.
I disagree.

Key is nowhere on the level of the top bigs in wcbb. She just isn't. She gets some blocks cuz she's tall. If I had a nickel for every easy layup she missed I'd be a rich man. Her talent is she's tall. That's it. Need A REAL big...who gives max effort. Her as the main force down low dooms you to going nowhere.
Really. Are you kidding? TK was a Lisa Leslie Top-5 Finalist, Naismith Women's DPOY Semifinalist, and member of the SEC All-Defensive Team. How many others have these honors. And look for TK take it up a notch this upcoming season.

If I asked any opposing coach to verify your opinion, they would laugh in my face. Ask any coach if they would take Tamari for their teammate and it would be a (unanimous) yes. Tamari is a UT record holder in a key defensive statistic and an award finalist. She does not exist at your whim. She is a young woman who is playing ball for a historic program and getting the snot beat out of her pretty much every game. That should guarantee at least a little respect.

Very mature, and impressive, young lady....
i

geno is one year closer to retired status. yea!
Not even sure if this is the appropriate thread for what i am going to post, but some may find it interesting, anyway, the WBB insider reporter for SC WBB posted this about the upcoming 2022-2023 season. Thought most of you would enjoy....

"Early April look at next season for the rest of the SEC. Installment 1

Last season we had 8 teams make the tourney with 2 more being bubble teams. As of right now, I see 4 locks and 12 teams working and praying for portal mojo. It was also a bad recruiting year for the league. We finished fourth in top 100 players signed behind PAC 12, BIG 10 and ACC.

Locks
1. Gamecocks nough said for now.
2. UT. They don’t have our post size or depth but they have overall size and enough talent already to beat us at home if they have a great day and we don’t show up

Horston and Jackson are nightmare matchups.
Key is an excellent interior rebounder and defender. They portaled in a true pg from Minnesota who averaged 15ppg and has a good handle.

Miles, Darby, Suarez and Puckett can be effective as shooters and 3rd and 4th scorers.
They also bring in 5* freshman Justine Pissot, yet another 6’2” guard who can do it all.

That is a top ten team and player rotation with size throughout the lineup. They will overwhelm most teams in the league with talent, depth, and size.

Harper has proved herself as a very good coach;
X&O’s, motivation and in game adjustments. She has leaned heavily on the portal and I don’t think they are through. Even if they are, they are clearly the second best team in the league."

Not even sure if this is the appropriate thread for what i am going to post, but some may find it interesting, anyway, the WBB insider reporter for SC WBB posted this about the upcoming 2022-2023 season. Thought most of you would enjoy....

Last season we had 8 teams make the tourney with 2 more being bubble teams. As of right now, I see 4 locks and 12 teams working and praying for portal mojo. It was also a bad recruiting year for the league. We finished fourth in top 100 players signed behind PAC 12, BIG 10 and ACC.

Locks
2. UT. They don’t have our post size or depth but they have overall size and enough talent already to beat us at home if they have a great day and we don’t show up

Key is an excellent interior rebounder and defender. They portaled in a true pg from Minnesota who averaged 15ppg and has a good handle.

Miles, Darby, Suarez and Puckett can be effective as shooters and 3rd and 4th scorers.
They also bring in 5* freshman Justine Pissot, yet another 6’2” guard who can do it all.

That is a top ten team and player rotation with size throughout the lineup. They will overwhelm most teams in the league with talent, depth, and size.

X&O’s, motivation and in game adjustments. She has leaned heavily on the portal and I don’t think they are through. Even if they are, they are clearly the second best team in the league."
We’ll see about “second best team in the league” 🤝😉 they were spot on tho, it’s going to be a long 8 months! 😩

We’ll see about “second best team in the league” 🤝😉 they were spot on tho, it’s going to be a long 8 months! 😩
Yeah, agree. He writes for GCC so it's a little homer in some respects, which is natural. But I think everyone is taking notice of what is going on in Knoxville, would be very surprised if 2022-2023 LV's are not way better than this past season, meaning they will be one of the teams with a chance to win it all. Jackson pickup changes everything IMO (probably the best portal player pickup in the nation).

Yeah, agree. He writes for GCC so it's a little homer in some respects, which is natural. But I think everyone is taking notice of what is going on in Knoxville, would be very surprised if 2022-2023 LV's are not way better than this past season, meaning they will be one of the teams with a chance to win it all. Jackson pickup changes everything IMO (probably the best portal player pickup in the nation).

@Rooster1, always enjoy your posts. Fans of other programs can sometimes be problemactic... you have never been. I am a LV fan and usually don't support or keep up with other programs. However, you are a respectful solid poster who is welcome in this place.

Locks

A healthy roster.. for both teams next season is an evenly matched game. Tennessee doesn’t need South Carolina to have a off game to beat them regardless of where the game is played. Tennessee started this past season off 18-1 after losing one of the best players in college to the WNBA with their leading returning scorer out for 12 games after 1 half of play into the season.
Next season, I don’t think people really realize how good this team will be if they can stay healthy, build on court chemistry, improve free throw shooting and three point shooting. Defensively and rebounding they’ll be a dominant team.

@Volfan2012, Thx for that video, they mentioned that Key, Horston and Jackson are all likely top ten picks in the WNBA next year….that’s crazy good to have in a lineup for the next season. I agree with their assessment that Key benefits most from the addition of Jackson and Powell and Pissot, UT will be dangerous from the perimeter.

Last edited:
Sam go after her..I knew some Uconn will transfer

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220408-084638_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220408-084638_Samsung Internet.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 19
You may have misunderstood OP's point. Stripling is an excellent player and will be good next year. But at 6'2" she will be more effective at the 4. Key is conservatively 6'6". Her length is what makes her exceptional. She plays with her back to the basket and her number one assignment is rim protector. Stripling plays face up with the basket and has a nice jump shot. If Tennessee is serious about getting back to FF, then they need another 6'5" plus post who can protect the rim.

The teams we have to beat to get back to relevance, SC, Standford, UConn, Texas, LSU, etc.are not thinking a 6'2" rim protector is a golden ticket.

I've seen Striplin play very well with her back to the basket, posting up 4's and 5's, and making moves to score once she gets the ball. I think she's more versatile than you credit her for. But I question her mobility and quickness to play the 4 spot against some opposition 4's. She's a very physical player, but wanting in quickness. In that way more suited for the 5, though she's a bit undersized for that position in the SEC. Could be she is a tweener and will add depth to both positions and get PT based on matchups more than a locked in position.

Locks

Let me guess, the reporter's name is Darth_Vol?

VN Store

Back