The reason NIL deals are important and are good for the game

Not against people getting paid but this system will destroy or has destroyed college football. Soon people will wonder why these huge payroll machines are attached to our universities with budgets higher than the schools. This is minor league ball, just a matter fo time until universities sell their franchises.

Not against people getting paid but this system will destroy or has destroyed college football. Soon people will wonder why these huge payroll machines are attached to our universities with budgets higher than the schools. This is minor league ball, just a matter fo time until universities sell their franchises.

And athletes unionize..................:confused:

Reactions: VOLtaism
And they can't get the same knowledge without a sports scholarship?

That may be true for some schools. Certainly most players couldn't afford a 4 year degree at Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Notre Dame, etc. But that isn't true for the vast majority of schools. Think about the Texas NIL deals for their scholarship OL. Each OL gets 50k annually. If they stayed for 4 years and invested that 200k into a market index fund and didn't touch it for 20 years, they would have roughly 2 million dollars before they turn 50. Let it sit another 10 years and they are at roughly 3.5 million. They could literally work a retail job for 30 years and still be set for the rest of their life with a comfortable retirement.
More often than not, no.

While no denying education triumphs anything else money from NIL deals will buy but the harsh reality is most athletic programs do not focus on education rather on getting athletes degrees (or grades) to keep them eligible. In that light, NIL deals could go a long way.

A 2 million over 4 year deal is 40 year worth of salary at 50k/year (Typical middle class family in Knoxville type towns) or 6 figure salary for 20 years. The big IF is whether these 20-21 year old kids handed big pile of cash can responsibly manage it. Sadly that is where the education part would come in handy.
I'd blow it all on Ferrari's and jet skis.

How? Players were getting paid before. Now it's simply out in the open and other schools know what the actual amounts are that they are competing against.

More often than not, no.

Why can't they? There is nothing preventing them from going to college if that is what they want to do. Maybe they can't get into Stanford, but they can still get a college degree without a scholarship.

Reactions: peaygolf
And they can't get the same knowledge without a sports scholarship?

That may be true for some schools. Certainly most players couldn't afford a 4 year degree at Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Notre Dame, etc. But that isn't true for the vast majority of schools. Think about the Texas NIL deals for their scholarship OL. Each OL gets 50k annually. If they stayed for 4 years and invested that 200k into a market index fund and didn't touch it for 20 years, they would have roughly 2 million dollars before they turn 50. Let it sit another 10 years and they are at roughly 3.5 million. They could literally work a retail job for 30 years and still be set for the rest of their life with a comfortable retirement.

So imagine you are an 18 year old at Texas. You play OL and get 50k just for playing. You really think you are gonna be totally responsible and invest all that? More than likely not. You are gonna party and buy things.

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
How? Players were getting paid before. Now it's simply out in the open and other schools know what the actual amounts are that they are competing against.

Watch how these NIL deals are going to inflate over the next 5 years. Nicos deal will seem like chump change.

That is great, and I'm not saying that there won't be some out of pocket, but you find ways to help pay, just like your son did.
Just curious. Are ya'll Missouri residents, or out of state?
In state. I am not sure if the deal works for out of state kids or not but a recruiter could tell you.

They have a list of dozens of schools that they work with. For a 6 year enlistment, they cover tuition. Additionally, both of my sons qualified for a considerable bonus, a monthly bonus kicker for over $300, and a partial GI bill. Both saved their money from basic and tech school and still had their drill pay. Altogether between the kicker, GI bill, and pay they made over $1000/mo with tuition covered. We kicked in for fees and extra expenses.

Both graduated without debt and with something pretty significant to put on their resume. Both worked on the B-2 Bomber at Whiteman AFB.

So imagine you are an 18 year old at Texas. You play OL and get 50k just for playing. You really think you are gonna be totally responsible and invest all that? More than likely not. You are gonna party and buy things.
Exactly..........

"an estimate that 60% of NBA are broke within five years after retirement and 78% of NFL players have gone bankrupt within two years out. Former boxer, Michael Tyson, still remains the epitome of this discussion, blowing through an estimated $300 million from his pro boxing career and is especially mind-blowing when you realize this amount is larger than some countries' Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which is the total value of goods and services provided by that country for the whole year."

And an 18 year old will be wise enough to invest, when "adults" can't?

Exactly..........

"an estimate that 60% of NBA are broke within five years after retirement and 78% of NFL players have gone bankrupt within two years out. Former boxer, Michael Tyson, still remains the epitome of this discussion, blowing through an estimated $300 million from his pro boxing career and is especially mind-blowing when you realize this amount is larger than some countries' Gross Domestic Product (GDP), which is the total value of goods and services provided by that country for the whole year."

Some are... and in many cases it is a failure of our public school ideal that causes others not to be. Too many kids do not have personal responsibility reinforced... until life smacks them in the face with it.

Some are... and in many cases it is a failure of our public school ideal that causes others not to be. Too many kids do not have personal responsibility reinforced... until life smacks them in the face with it.

I'd say very few...........and Private schools don't instill personal finance education very well either......:(

Reactions: sjt18
Exactly..........

I will be honest. If someone handed me 50k at 18? I would have screwed it up somehow.

Probably. That doesn't mean the opportunity isn't there.

Prior to NIL, all major players were paying kids. Some programs were very good at paying and not getting caught. After the Logan Young affair, Bama learned how to play the game at the highest level.

The big reason NIL is a good thing is that schools that were playing the game tentatively, like UT prior to Pruitt, can now open up and compete with anyone.

Nick Saban declaring that "We've never done it" is so laughable as to just be silly. He began the arms race with his "Our QB is earning over 7 figures" speech and now he's trying to walk it back, "We don't want anyone to come here because of NIL."

Now, everyone who can afford it can play on a level playing surface and right now SPYRE is playing as well, if not better, than anyone in the nation and we'll see that play out moving forward with much improved recruiting. If we could get the investigation clear we'd have no obstructions. High ranked 4 stars were not going to Bama and GA to sit on the bench because they enjoyed it.

Your original post regarding Lattimore holds a lot of merit. This is the primary reason the NCAA and the schools keep the institutions themselves out of the pay scheme. Can you imagine the backpay issues if the schools began paying current players?

Kids with NFL written all over them, like Lattimore, can earn life changing money before they even step foot on campus.

You can earn a lot of money and still love your school. I'm past the distaste of paying players I once had.

"Good for the game" is ridiculous. NIL is awful for the game of college football. It may be good for the players who get paid, but it is poison for the sport and poison for the landscape around it.

If people can't see the difference between being supporters of a group of college students who choose to play football for your school, and supporters of paid employees who play football for their job, I don't know what else can be said. It's an entirely different spirit. In the latter, which is what some people have pushed, no, demanded college football become, you don't get the luxury of support.

Let's say we get to a world where the big schools are paying people left and right - through their legal third parties of course. If you're a sophomore quarterback who is struggling, you're dead meat. And you should be. It's not a "school spirit" thing anymore, it's just your job, and if you're bad at your job, you get fired. Or say you're a wide receiver who is having trouble adjusting to the scheme. Same result though, your ass is canned. College football isn't going to be about watching young men come together as teams and grow over the years to achieve success both personally and as programs. It's just going to be results, and only results (which it's been trending toward for years now thanks to the BCS/CFP), and anything else? Waste of time. If you can't hack it, you're gonna get cut.

Then you add the portal in, and people shopping themselves around at the drop of a hat, and there won't be anything much left to invest in. Why care who's on your roster? They may be gone in a year. Or they may only be there for a year to begin with. Lotta senior paydays for people with talent. Same difference. Just people coming and going. Is a guy who plays three years at Local College Tech and then one mercenary year at Bigtime State really a "Bigtime State" player for life? Imagine teams where half the players are one year rentals from the transfer portal, guys who you don't know and who won't be around long enough to get to know. Is that what school pride in college sports looks like? I can't see myself caring about that at all.

Anyway. NIL is just fuel on the fire, and the fire was built on a foundation of TV advertising money that has slowly roasted college football alive.

To Dobbs? Sure. To most other players with political science or exercise science as their major? I'm sorry to those majors but typically not worth more.
Those degrees are generally worthless in my book, but they can give a person an edge. When I hire people get points in my grading system for degrees, but just for degrees. Majors aren't really taken into account unless I am hiring a manager.

Well heck -- if you're gonna do it, you might as well go all the way. How about an NIL deal distributed throughout the entire TEAM. With performance bonus's for each player established on paper before the season even starts!

"Good for the game" is ridiculous. NIL is awful for the game of college football. It may be good for the players who get paid, but it is poison for the sport and poison for the landscape around it.

If people can't see the difference between being supporters of a group of college students who choose to play football for your school, and supporters of paid employees who play football for their job, I don't know what else can be said. It's an entirely different spirit. In the latter, which is what some people have pushed, no, demanded college football become, you don't get the luxury of support.

Let's say we get to a world where the big schools are paying people left and right - through their legal third parties of course. If you're a sophomore quarterback who is struggling, you're dead meat. And you should be. It's not a "school spirit" thing anymore, it's just your job, and if you're bad at your job, you get fired. Or say you're a wide receiver who is having trouble adjusting to the scheme. Same result though, your ass is canned. College football isn't going to be about watching young men come together as teams and grow over the years to achieve success both personally and as programs. It's just going to be results, and only results (which it's been trending toward for years now thanks to the BCS/CFP), and anything else? Waste of time. If you can't hack it, you're gonna get cut.

Then you add the portal in, and people shopping themselves around at the drop of a hat, and there won't be anything much left to invest in. Why care who's on your roster? They may be gone in a year. Or they may only be there for a year to begin with. Lotta senior paydays for people with talent. Same difference. Just people coming and going. Is a guy who plays three years at Local College Tech and then one mercenary year at Bigtime State really a "Bigtime State" player for life? Imagine teams where half the players are one year rentals from the transfer portal, guys who you don't know and who won't be around long enough to get to know. Is that what school pride in college sports looks like? I can't see myself caring about that at all.

Anyway. NIL is just fuel on the fire, and the fire was built on a foundation of TV advertising money that has slowly roasted college football alive.

No. They aren't getting paid to play football (or whatever sport). They are getting paid because they happen play football (or some other sport). NIL is a system that is simply allowing players to get their own sponsorships, just like any other pro athlete does. While there is undoubtedly ties from sponsors to certain programs, this all stems from the popularity of a particular recruit.

Reactions: Forever151
Well heck -- if you're gonna do it, you might as well go all the way. How about an NIL deal distributed throughout the entire TEAM. With performance bonus's for each player established on paper before the season even starts!

Because that isn't how NILs work. Aaron Rodgers doesn't get paid any more money by State Farm by how many TDs he throws or MVPs he wins.

Marcus Lattimore
I’m still pissed that refs stopped the play when he clearly fumbled. Yes he got hurt and that’s awful but would they stop play for any other injury in the middle of a play. We lost by that TD taken away

VN Store

Back