The reason NIL deals are important and are good for the game

Free education is worth more in the long run...but that's just my opinion.

In theory, you're right. In practice, it's not one size fits all. Issues like the chosen major and job market realities, social bias practices, residence region, hiring needs (opportunity), and I'm sure some areas I've missed are factors not be dismissed or ignored. I ought to know, as I both faced and witnesses these things in real time in my day.

In theory, you're right. In practice, it's not one size fits all. Issues like the chosen major and job market realities, social bias practices, residence region, hiring needs (opportunity), and I'm sure some areas I've missed are factors not be dismissed or ignored. I ought to know, as I both faced and witnesses these things in real time in my day.
willingness is the glaring one missing. You need some sort of virtue that others would value, some way to meet the need of others. Education has to do with that one. You need opportunity to practice, and you need willingness. All the ones you listed have to do with opportunity.

Everything tends to get measured in money, and as we all know some things don't get measured out exactly right in money. A lot of really important work has to be done for low pay or in some cases even zero.

willingness is the glaring one missing. You need some sort of virtue that others would value, some way to meet the need of others. Education has to do with that one. You need opportunity to practice, and you need willingness. All the ones you listed have to do with opportunity.
Everything tends to get measured in money, and as we all know some things don't get measured out exactly right in money. A lot of really important work has to be done for low pay or in some cases even zero.

Like I said, one size doesn't fit all. Thank you for illustrating this further. And one of the uh, virtues of capitalism is short-changing targeted social strata. Doesn't matter if they are Appalachians, ethnic groups, immigrants, seasonal workers, or whatever. Long live the NIL.

Last edited:
Let's say I was a college player. If I could go through 4 years of UT, get a degree, maybe I get a graduate degree, and in the process, I manage to get my name marketed some (helping my prospects of landing a job), and make some connections, and perhaps, I'm even so lucky to get $100,000 a year over 5 years.....

Then at the very worst, I've graduated with a masters that is paid for, a bachelors that is paid for, people in the city likely know my name, and I have earned enough money to buy myself a decent house.

That's better than most college students end out with. Most end up with $100k+ in debt, and can't afford a house until their 30's (and in this market, that's tough).

How is free education worth more in the long run? Especially for most of the starters at a power 5 school?
A college degree can be life changing. It doesn't guarantee anything but it opens doors and possibilities not open to those without an education. How many of these recruits are going to earn life changing money via NIL?

I'm glad that NIL appears to be a windfall for UT. It has the power to cut years of pain out between what we've experienced the last few years and where Bama has been during the same period.

Overall though, it isn't good for the game. It is important to have programs that are competitive enough to show up... like Vandy, UK, Arkansas, Mizzou, Northwestern, Wake Forest, etc. When NIL is in full bloom, the best players will almost always go to programs that have the strongest NIL support. Players who are missed out of HS will quickly hit the portal for the best deal. So even if Vandy happens to find an overlooked player... they'll be gone as soon as the world knows it.

UT seems to be ahead but top tier programs from Michigan to Miami and Penn State to UCLA will model Spyre soon enough. Very quickly the disparity between the haves and have nots is going to widen significantly.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the top tier of CFB becoming a separate league if NIL is going to stay as it is. There are maybe 4 or 5 ACC programs that can compete from an NIL standpoint. Maybe 8 or even 9 SEC programs. Five or 6 Big 10. One maybe 2 Big 12. Maybe 4 or 5 Pac12 teams. Take those and make a super league with a real playoff.

Otherwise, competition is about to get ugly between the top and bottom. There won't be much of a middle class- if any. There also won't be much class mobility.

In the long run, this isn't going to make the game better. It may or may not serve the players. But it is important to remember that for every Marcus Lattimore out there who would have been paid (and has a job now as a direct benefit of his playing days) there are dozens of kids with similarly devastating injuries from CFB who were never stars or starters. There are scout team guys who have a permanent scar of some type that would never command an NIL deal.

Its knowledge you can take wherever you go and can set you up for a successful non football career.

And they can't get the same knowledge without a sports scholarship?

That may be true for some schools. Certainly most players couldn't afford a 4 year degree at Stanford, Vandy, Duke, Notre Dame, etc. But that isn't true for the vast majority of schools. Think about the Texas NIL deals for their scholarship OL. Each OL gets 50k annually. If they stayed for 4 years and invested that 200k into a market index fund and didn't touch it for 20 years, they would have roughly 2 million dollars before they turn 50. Let it sit another 10 years and they are at roughly 3.5 million. They could literally work a retail job for 30 years and still be set for the rest of their life with a comfortable retirement.

Reactions: CSVol
A college degree can be life changing. It doesn't guarantee anything but it opens doors and possibilities not open to those without an education. How many of these recruits are going to earn life changing money via NIL?

Can they not get an education without a scholarship?

Free education is worth more in the long run...but that's just my opinion.

While no denying education triumphs anything else money from NIL deals will buy but the harsh reality is most athletic programs do not focus on education rather on getting athletes degrees (or grades) to keep them eligible. In that light, NIL deals could go a long way.

A 2 million over 4 year deal is 40 year worth of salary at 50k/year (Typical middle class family in Knoxville type towns) or 6 figure salary for 20 years. The big IF is whether these 20-21 year old kids handed big pile of cash can responsibly manage it. Sadly that is where the education part would come in handy.

While no denying education triumphs anything else money from NIL deals will buy but the harsh reality is most athletic programs do not focus on education rather on getting athletes degrees (or grades) to keep them eligible. In that light, NIL deals could go a long way.

A 2 million over 4 year deal is 40 year worth of salary at 50k/year (Typical middle class family in Knoxville type towns) or 6 figure salary for 20 years. The big IF is whether these 20-21 year old kids handed big pile of cash can responsibly manage it. Sadly that is where the education part would come in handy.

While that is true, how that money is used should not have any bearing on what it's worth though. 2 million dollars is still worth 2 million dollars, regardless of how it's used.

Reactions: volmandu
Not for free.
With all the scholarships floating around, anyone that has a huge student debt after graduation today, did not do their due diligence in picking a school.

Let's say I was a college player. If I could go through 4 years of UT, get a degree, maybe I get a graduate degree, and in the process, I manage to get my name marketed some (helping my prospects of landing a job), and make some connections, and perhaps, I'm even so lucky to get $100,000 a year over 5 years.....
Then at the very worst, I've graduated with a masters that is paid for, a bachelors that is paid for, people in the city likely know my name, and I have earned enough money to buy myself a decent house.
That's better than most college students end out with. Most end up with $100k+ in debt, and can't afford a house until their 30's (and in this market, that's tough).

TnHopeful, you certainly Joe Fridayed this.
762173730-joefriday.jpg

If I may add to this. And bankers and lending institutions will do their darnest to make sure you remain in debt. So in essence, they get an educated base of perpetual slaves who keep their wallet plantations profitable. It's a brilliant scam. Now, the fascinating thing with the money people is clearly demonstrated in a non-college debt scam issue. How many know that in buying a house, you never own it? Taxes and eminent domain can take it from you with depreciated and even compensation. Further, when you sign for a house or land, how many know that the papers have a clause stating that if minerals (gold, oil etc) is found on (beneath) the property, the lender can have you evicted and claim the mineral rights? Not a darn thing you can do about it. As a matter-of-fact, that very thing happened last year to a couple. The sheriff sadly told them he had no choice but to get them off as they signed the purchase documents. Realtors will often tell a buyer who notices such a clause, "Oh, that's just standard, it never happens." Laws about this vary from state to state. Back to college loans, bankers/lenders have you over a barrel and know it. Their intent is to keep you over that barrel if at all possible. If you're from a well-to-do family, receive a large financial inheritance, or can follow an ultra-strict budget while being lucky enough to escape a major hospital bill, or some other catastrophe, you will be among that limited number who escape the trap. They can even get you for living off the grid, or collecting and using rainwater. Yeah capitalism, long live the NIL.

Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol
With all the scholarships floating around, anyone that has a huge student debt after graduation today, did not do their due diligence in picking a school.

True to an extent. But if you want to go to good school, it's gonna cost significantly more than most scholarships cover.

Academic scholarships? My son had a 3.9 GPA in HS and went to the U of Central Missouri to study aviation. He was "well rounded" and an athlete in HS. We never saw that abundance of scholarships... nor did FASFA turn any up. He joined the Mo Air Guard which covered a big chunk of it. Almost all of his flight fees were out of pocket.

True to an extent. But if you want to go to good school, it's gonna cost significantly more than most scholarships cover.
Absolutely. But.....if you don't want the debt, there are tons of schools to attend.

Just for comparison.......TTU, UTM, Peay, and even TSU will give someone an equal education that UT will...........for much less. Or, go free to a Community College for two years and transfer to a four year school.

Private Universities, granted have more "prestige," but I'm not sure they are worth the money. Maybe Ivy League?? The text books are the same and the info is the same.

Reactions: Carp
That's not really relevant if your argument is that the education itself is what is valuable. They can still get the same education without a scholarship.
For a large portion of those going to school on an athletic scholarship, they don't have another path. I'm not saying that they and their families do not bear the blame. Not at all. But for many an athletic scholarship opens up academic and financial advantages they would not have had any other way.

As Marcus Lattimore demonstrates, it also opens up job opportunities that most do not have.

Reactions: Behr
Academic scholarships? My son had a 3.9 GPA in HS and went to the U of Central Missouri to study aviation. He was "well rounded" and an athlete in HS. We never saw that abundance of scholarships... nor did FASFA turn any up. He joined the Mo Air Guard which covered a big chunk of it. Almost all of his flight fees were out of pocket.
That is great, and I'm not saying that there won't be some out of pocket, but you find ways to help pay, just like your son did.
Just curious. Are ya'll Missouri residents, or out of state?

For a large portion of those going to school on an athletic scholarship, they don't have another path. I'm not saying that they and their families do not bear the blame. Not at all. But for many an athletic scholarship opens up academic and financial advantages they would not have had any other way.

As Marcus Lattimore demonstrates, it also opens up job opportunities that most do not have.

There are certainly societal issues at play. But they still have the same opportunities to go to school,, even if it isn't to top universities. The fact remains that a free education gives you the exact same education as a paid education. And the NIL, particularly for players at most power 5 schools, can provide considerably more monetary value, both now and in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfeman_Vol

VN Store

Back