Emily Saunders enters portal..

It's not right in my opinion to publicly criticize or attack a player for a lack of talent. We only have the God-given talent that we have. What we do with it is what measures our character and value to others. It isn't her fault she was born with less athletic talent than most post players in the SEC. It isn't her fault that Holly offered her a scholly at UT. She of course had to take it and try to succeed when given that chance. For whatever reason, it hasn't worked out as everyone had hoped. I'm really hoping that she wasn't asked to leave (doubt she was, that isn't Kellie's MO, I think), but that she chose on her own to seek a place where she can play more and enjoy the game more. I'm glad she was a LV, she represented us well. Happy Trails to her.
The thing is, she’s more than likely one hell of a basketball player! She would school 99.9% of the members on this site but to play at this level, you have to be on another level.
Good luck to her and her future!
GBO!!

Well she’s a Grad Transfer, so that’s basically telling us she’s already graduated from Tennessee with her 4 year degree. She’ll have a minimum 2 years left to play at another school. Sam Brunelle commented on her post, and there’s some suspicion she may be considering Norte Dame? Who knows.
Sam Brunelle is transferring from ND

I hate to see her transfer because she had the size and a great personality. I wonder if she did not receive the coaching she needed to be successful. I really believe that there are few really good post coaches in the women’s game. I know that Tom Duncan helped Boston become a good post. I wish her well and that she receives more playing time wherever she goes.

I would be very shocked to see Em somewhere like ND. Really don’t think she can compete night in and night out at this level. If she could have Kellie would have had her out there. We have seen with Harper that if a kid can play and goes hard they get minutes. The few times we tried Em after Keyen’s injury it was clear that wasn’t going to work. The first half of the Auburn game was evidence enough for me.

Seems she is transferring because she wants to play more. Brunelle is also in the portal out of ND so I doubt she would be trying to recruit someone for them at this point…

I think it’s more likely she ends up somewhere with her sister. Sarah was a freshman at at DII Glenville State who just won a National championship. Could see Em going there or the two of them transferring to a mid-major/DII school together. Her sister did not play this season. Not sure if she was a redshirt or injuries.

Emily could not handle the style of play of Glenville State....They are NASCAR and she would slow them down too much

Reactions: VolBall09
Would imagine so. I haven’t watched them but would like to catch a game.

It is fantastic! I'll have to find some video they won it in Birmingham and I got to catch a few games....Here is a game of theirs from February skip ahead to 21:00 that is the start....they play about 12 girls and sub every few mins to wear the other team down...they scored over 500 points in 6 games in NCAA tourney this year to break a record

Last edited:
It is important for team unity that the non-rotational players understand why they aren't playing, maintain a positive attitude, and continue to work hard. Emily did this and is one terrific teammate. I always liked her.
I agree she was a team player--always cheering and upbeat. Wish her well.

OH WOW, I had a feeling there might be some movement in the 3/4 positions, it's never easy when players transfer out. Ms. Saunders was a good solid player, and seem to have a great attitude, I really do wish her the best. Thank you so much for what you brought and added to the Lady Vols program. God Bless You, and may you realize all your biggest dreams.

The thing is, she’s more than likely one hell of a basketball player! She would school 99.9% of the members on this site but to play at this level, you have to be on another level.
Good luck to her and her future!
GBO!!

If Tamari Key had Emily Saunders' hands, she'd be a much better player. Emily is also a terrific finisher under the basket with that confident shooting touch. Only thing that held Em back a bit was she wasn't quite quick enough to be able to consistently compete in the SEC.

I look forward to following her at wherever she lands -- hope its at WV where she had never stopped supporting -- because I think she can finish out her college career stong. Love that kid, and I'm so glad I splurged on a Saunders shirzee. 🏀🧡

It is fantastic! I'll have to find some video they won it in Birmingham and I got to catch a few games....Here is a game of theirs from February skip ahead to 21:00 that is the start....they play about 12 girls and sub every few mins to wear the other team down...they scored over 500 points in 6 games in NCAA tourney this year to break a record

Thanks so much! Wish the lower levels got a little more coverage. I went to a DII school for my graduate degree and always felt the teams were competitive and fun to watch. Not as much size was really the main difference.

She graduated she's a VFL forever. I look at it as she started and finished her time at UT with an attitude of a winner. She will take her talent and wisdom to her next chapter and we will cheer for her as we do for all VFLs in college or Pro as they still continue to represent their great alma mater. She can stand tall she has been a great example of deportment for any college athlete.

I could've pressed the 'like' button on every one of the positive posts in this tread , however every post is a understatement of any love we can or could show you , Emily.
We will always love.

FREE EMILY.
For the last time. Prophet1.

If Tamari Key had Emily Saunders' hands, she'd be a much better player. Emily is also a terrific finisher under the basket with that confident shooting touch. Only thing that held Em back a bit was she wasn't quite quick enough to be able to consistently compete in the SEC.

I look forward to following her at wherever she lands -- hope its at WV where she had never stopped supporting -- because I think she can finish out her college career stong. Love that kid, and I'm so glad I splurged on a Saunders shirzee. 🏀🧡

This post sort of exemplifies the way it really works in the SEC and top of the WBB food chain in P5. You can have the size, decent talent, and work ethic that is through the roof and still fall short at ultra competitive levels. Why? Because you're going to face similar sized competitors with a work ethic through the roof as well, but some of them will have talent and athleticism through the roof as well which you'll never have.

I had an acquaintance that was a great high school football player back in the day, played Linebacker and ran a sub 4.5 forty time, had great instincts where the play was always going to go. His issue was God made him 5' 7" at 170 pounds. He was not recruited by any P5 schools and had his heart set on playing at that level. He walked on for the USC Trojans believing the whole time his toughness, instincts, heart, and speed would find a way to get him on the field. That is until the practices began and they trotted out a squad of guys 6' 1", 2", and 3" and that were all over 200 pounds and ran 4.4 forty times. Reality bites.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nute Gunray

VN Store

Back