It’s the same question as in football.

I love how some of our fans are quick to point out facts but offer up no solutions or replacements to the problem they bring up…

While that stat is relevant you have to balance it against his average seeding..

If you're a 2 or 3 seed, that reduces the pool of higher seeded teams you may beat but greatly increases the number of lower seeds who may beat you.

I'd be interested to see the same stat for Calipari, Pearl and others
Record in the NCAA tournament against higher seeded teams:
Calipari 6-6
Barnes 1-11
Pearl 8-7

And this isn’t a knock on Barnes, he has Tennessee in a better position as a program than anytime in my life.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Record in the NCAA tournament against higher seeded teams:
Calipari 6-6
Barnes 1-11
Pearl 8-7

And this isn’t a knock on Barnes, he has Tennessee in a better position as a program than anytime in my lifetime.
So what’s your solution?

I agree it takes luck to win a tournament. But I saw a stat in an article that said a Rick Barnes team has only beat a higher seed in a NCAA tournament once. I don’t think anyone is that unlucky.

Apparently at least one coach could be that unlucky. What are Calipari’s numbers in that regard? How about Coach K or John Thompson?

The only thing I can blame Barnes for this season is lack of a real quality big man. We have some younger guys who look like they will become good, but we struggled to score if we weren’t hitting 3s. Who knows, if BHH develops like we think he should, next season could be good.

Do you want a coach that averages 10 wins a year, or do you want one national championship every 30 years or so, but some bad seasons in between?

Barnes reminds me of Bobby Cox in a way. Great regular season, but can’t adjust in the post season.

None of this is meant as an insult or complaint, just an observation.

I hope we do not become like Kentucky fans.

I am happy that, under Barnes, we have been number one in the SEC regular season, we have been ranked number 1 in the country, we have won the SEC tournament for the first time in 40 years, and we have had some NCAA tourney success.

Certainly, most fans are disappointed at this point in the season. Most teams didn't make the big tournament, and the other 3/4's of teams are already headed home.

We have been really close to moving into nearly uncharted territory, and I don't hold those "failures" against coach Barnes. Sure, he could be a better tournament coach, but he has gotten us to being a regular contender. It is no longer a rarity that we are in the discussion. Why would we be anything but thrilled that he gives us a good chance? I see only good things on the horizon, and it would seem that Barnes has somewhat broken the stereotype that he can't coach at the end of the season. We were 4-1 in the postseason this year.

Both of us that mentioned his record said we like Barnes and want him as the coach. I always think any feedback is good feedback, especially if it’s stuff you don’t want to hear. How will you ever do better?
What’s good about a statement we already know, Barnes hasn’t done great in the tournament that is no secret how does that warrant good discussion?

It depends on what you value. Do you want a good regular season with possibly playing for the conference tournament championship or do you want want NCAA tournament success and playing for a national title? If it’s playing for a national title, Barnes isn’t it. He’s only 25-26 in his career in the tournament. You aren’t going to play in a final four every year, but you should at least contend for one with all of the resources Tennessee has. Mark Few has had Gonzaga in 2 final fours. I know he hasn’t won one yet, but at least they’ve played for the title.

While that stat is relevant you have to balance it against his average seeding..

If you're a 2 or 3 seed, that reduces the pool of higher seeded teams you may beat but greatly increases the number of lower seeds who may beat you.

I'd be interested to see the same stat for Calipari, Pearl and others
Here are some others. It’s actually really interesting to see how everyone stacks up.
Bill Self 4-5
Tom Izzo 14-12
Mark Few 7-12
Coach K 5-6
Rick Pitino 5-7
Roy Williams 5-10
Jim Calhoun 5-12
Bob Huggins 3-12
Billy Donovan 6-3
Kelvin Sampson 3-6
Bobby Knight 5-6

Here are some others. It’s actually really interesting to see how everyone stacks up.
Bill Self 4-5
Tom Izzo 14-12
Mark Few 7-12
Coach K 5-6
Rick Pitino 5-7
Roy Williams 5-10
Jim Calhoun 5-12
Bob Huggins 3-12
Billy Donovan 6-3
Kelvin Sampson 3-6
Bobby Knight 5-6
This is super interesting. Thanks for all the work!!

Bill Self 4-5
Tom Izzo 14-12
Mark Few 7-12
Coach K 5-6
Rick Pitino 5-7
Roy Williams 5-10
Jim Calhoun 5-12
Bob Huggins 3-12
Billy Donovan 6-3
Kelvin Sampson 3-6
Bobby Knight 5-6

Only 2 of these elite coaches have a winning record. I’ll bet that there are several mid-majors that have a really good record versus higher seeds. Shaka might have a good one since he was missing the NCAAT at Ut.

What’s good about a statement we already know, Barnes hasn’t done great in the tournament that is no secret how does that warrant good discussion?
You knew Barnes’s record against higher seed for his career and how he stacked up against other coaches?
I thought it was an interesting stat, and it will change how I expect us to do in future games in the tournament.

Only 2 of these elite coaches have a winning record. I’ll bet that there are several mid-majors that have a really good record versus higher seeds. Shaka might have a good one since he was missing the NCAAT at Ut.
Shaka is 5-4. 4 of those wins are from the run to the final four in 2011.

Barnes has undoubtedly underperformed in the tourney over his career. Bad luck? What explanation is there? How are tourney games inherently different than regular season?

Barnes has undoubtedly underperformed in the tourney over his career. Bad luck? What explanation is there? How are tourney games inherently different than regular season?
More pressure? Better teams on average? I don’t know. It is interesting. I wonder what Barnes record against higher ranked teams is. I bet it is better than 9% though.

More pressure? Better teams on average? I don’t know. It is interesting. I wonder what Barnes record against higher ranked teams is. I bet it is better than 9% though.
I think it would help if Barnes had some cohesion in his assistant coaches, seems like every year one or two get hired on to be a HC so would be nice to find a few that will stay for a longer period of time or just hire a mercenary like phill Martelli is for Michigan who is a HC in his own right and is great at making game plans to take the pressure off of himself.

Some other coaches from non-major conferences
Gregg Marshall 7-10
Rick Majerus 5-9
Brad Stevens 5-5
Porter Moser 5-1

Vs expected wins it takes into consideration quality of opponent. Pressure maybe. Not sure how to evaluate that

VN Store

Back