‘23 CA QB Nicholaus Iamaleava (Tennessee)

Folks in here are posting as though NIL is not capable of inducing athletes toward signing at particular colleges. It's gone from "destroying college football" and "UT has no chance" and "ATM bought their class", apparently to "there's no way it'll be used gtoet athletes to sign with particular schools".

Apparently, it'll just be booster co-ops throwing money at athletes so they can then take it anywhere they want to go.
The carrot is all the money on the back end, basically, the kid doesn't get the money if he doesn't perform and he's going to want the money. They wouldn't write the contract up to state it's not an inducement to attend a particular school though if that wasn't a real limitation on these deals. What is a concern is say this kid comes here though and he's the absolute second coming of Cam Newton and he's about to enter his third year, maybe at that point the 2 mil a year starts looking cheap, maybe USC's collective swoops in and offers 20 mil for year 3 for appearances in the Los Angeles area. He won't get the rest of his money from Spyre at that point, but he may not care.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
That's what I don't understand. The assumption is that the 350k can't be tied to UT, but the assumption is that the 8 mil will be tied to UT?
$8 million is “tied” to services not yet rendered. $350k paid out “almost immediately”. Pretty boilerplate.

Completely cool with that, of course.

I'm not trying to convince otherwise, or say you're wrong. I was basically just wondering if I missed anything concrete. It looks as though I haven't.
You missed or didn’t based on your own interpretation. We’re driving around in a circle at this point.

There are no contractual obligations for it and he gets it immediately. If that's assumption, then ok.
I'm cool with that. Then I've missed that statement in the media. Can you link to it? The part about there being no contractual obligations?

AP did say on the last podcast Nico would be committed before his April 9th visit
I thought he said Friday, and then "before we're in the Sweet 16", IDK, I'm not on Volquest. The Sweet 16 thing is technically still correct April 9 though. Appomattox Day.

You missed or didn’t based on your own interpretation. We’re driving around in a circle at this point.
That's the "concrete" part. A link that says that he gets the 350k with no contractual obligation isn't dependent on your or my interpretation.

My only concern with contract is if it does actually tie his compensation to nil activities. One would assume in SOME way it would.

But the podcast stated there was no minimum appearances, etc, obligation to get paid.

In hearing more from the L.A. attorney connected to the firm, it sounds like they did their best to remove all language that would keep force the kid to stay at the original school. I'm curious what guarantees the player has in this contract. And IF they are guarantees, then how did the collective protect themselves?

The attorney has noted they had removed all language from the collective to give them the advantage. And in comes the "trust factor". Mandel also noted this in his podcast.

Not sure if I'm loving it...though there may be more to it. More has to be answered.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Its legalized paying players…. Do you really think they are going to players to go to other schools? What were the exact words from the lawyer?
I posted more of the article ITT earlier today also, you can look at that, this below is all the rest I'll post, it's behind a paywall at The Athletic.Screenshot_20220320-165220-882.png

Reactions: VolByLaw
I'm cool with that. Then I've missed that statement in the media. Can you link to it? The part about there being no contractual obligations?
Iirc it was in the podcast. He gets it "almost immediately". It was basically a Call Option for his NiL services. He doesn't have any performance obligation to receive the stipulated amount.

They also spoke it as equal to an "advance". He wouldn't earn more until the collective makes that back on their own. But it's his guaranteed payment regardless.

That's the "concrete" part. A link that says that he gets the 350k with no contractual obligation isn't dependent on your or my interpretation.
Must be. Seemed clear. Not sure what LINK you’re referencing. More circling. 😴

I posted more of the article ITT earlier today also, you can look at that, this below is all the rest I'll post, it's behind a paywall at The Athletic.View attachment 441122
I think I understand now. If the player regains NIL rights after breaching contract, they can go to a higher bidder. Effectively making this earnest money in that that they can breach the contract.

That's not exactly "no contractual obligation" but would effectively be no contractual obligation.

Thanks.

I thought he said Friday, and then "before we're in the Sweet 16", IDK, I'm not on Volquest. The Sweet 16 thing is technically still correct April 9 though. Appomattox Day.

I never saw/heard anything from AP about Friday. Something was said about before the sweet 16, but I don’t remember the exact statement.

Okay, I just went and ponied up to read the Article. Butchna is right. Mandel says the lawyer for the athlete let Mandel review the contract in exchange for Mandel agreeing not to divulge who the athlete was, or who the collective was. Assuming it is Nico and Spyre though, here's the pull quote.
View attachment 441094

That doesn’t say he hasn’t signed control of his NIL away.

That doesn’t say he hasn’t signed control of his NIL away.
Which again, no one has said. Obviously Spyre gets something out of the deal, however it doesn't sound like this can be used the way many here have suggested, i.e. to prevent a player from making NIL $ if they go somewhere else, they just won't get more $ from Spyre if they don't come here or leave. When Spyre is no longer paying and being in the relationship with the kid, it will no longer have exclusive rights. That's the case, at least as to anyone represented by this lawyer, and this lawyer is the one who, according to Stewart Mandel, made the 8 million dollar deal (the one which we all hope and believe is Nico and Spyre).

Last edited:

VN Store

Back