'24 GA LB Sammy Brown (Clemson commit)

On3 does not rank high school sophomores during their fall seasons but does hand out grades. Brown is one of 18 players who received a grade of 91 out of 100 — and the only sophomore linebacker to receive that grade.

One school that has impressed him already with its culture is Tennessee.

“They’ve got a really good culture going from almost nothing last year to a really good culture this year,” Brown said. “They’re going to be pretty good next year. That’s a place that is really good culture, really good coaching staff and that’s just somewhere I really like.”

- On3

Brown was one of the 2024 standouts in attendance, and he will visit Tennessee next weekend as well. He can play linebacker and running back at the next level, but the Vols are recruiting him at the next level. The Jefferson (Ga.) star is usually widely considered to be a Georgia lean, but we believe the Vols are going to be in this one for the duration. After talking with sources close to this recruitment, there is a lot of orange and white in Brown's camp, including family ties to Knoxville. This is going to be a heavyweight bout, but the Vols are already doing an excellent job here.
- Matt Ray

Tennessee hosted a handful of highly-ranked prospects from the 2023 class during its junior day this past weekend, but the Vols had one of the nation’s top 2024 players on campus, too. Sammy Brown, the No. 1-ranked linebacker for the 2024 class by 247Sports, visited Tennessee for the third time since getting an offer from the Vols before the end of his freshman year. The latest visit allowed Brown the chance to talk football with Tennessee’s staff and again experience the “culture” the Vols have that’s standing out to him.

The 6-foot-2, 215-pound Brown, a running back and linebacker at Jefferson High School in Georgia who is currently the No. 5 overall player in the 2024 class according to 247Sports, first visited Tennessee last June when he impressed at one of the Vols’ camps, and he returned to Knoxville in October for Tennessee’s game against Ole Miss.

Brown lives roughly 30 minutes from Athens and has Georgia, Clemson and several other top programs after him already, but he has connections to Tennessee, too, with his mother a Johnson City native and his grandparents still living there and he’s gotten familiar with the Vols and head coach Josh Heupel and his staff from his times on campus.

“I really like the culture that Tennessee has,” Brown said. “They’ve got a really great thing going and they’ve improved so much over this year and last year. I really like the culture they have, the way the coaches are building players, not only as players on the field, but off the field they’re going to be great men, great players, and I really like what they’re doing with their program.”

Brown is a multi-sport athlete whose physicality and speed attracted the interest of several big-time college programs early during his high school career. He won the Georgia Class 4A 220-pound state wrestling title last month and last year as a freshman he won the 400-meter state track title with a time of 50.50 seconds. Brown also clocked impressive times in the 100 (10.92 seconds) and 200 (22.55 seconds) and recorded a 21-foot, 1-inch long jump.

Having been to Tennessee for a camp and for a game, his latest visit to Tennessee for junior day was more about “actually being able to sit down and talk football” with the Vols’ coaching staff.

Tennessee’s coaches told Brown they liked his combination of size and physicality in addition to his character.

“It was really fun to get with the coaches and be able to talk football,” Brown said, “not only my game of football but their game of football and kind of how they link together. It was good to see all the similarities between high school football and college football, the way defense is run, offense is run. It was good to really sit down with the coaches and talk.”

He added: “I really learned our defense that we run at Jefferson is really similar to what they run here, so I would probably play Mike, Will — inside ‘backer. It was really good to sit down and talk with them.”

Brown said the only future visit he currently has confirmed is to Oklahoma the first week of April. He said there are a couple of other schools he’d like to see this spring and mentioned Notre Dame specifically. He also visited Georgia in January.

Still not to the halfway point of his high school career, Brown is still very much in the exploratory phase of his recruitment.

“I want to make a decision sometime during my senior year,” he said. “I’ve still got a lot of time left, so I really want to make that sometime during my senior year and kind of give myself time to evaluate and see everything and make sure that I really confirm my decision.”

When he takes those visits, Brown is looking for a lot of what he saw at Tennessee.

“It’s like I talked about with Tennessee today,” he said. “It’s just a really great culture, coaches that are going to be able to help me become a better player on the field, but off the field, too, are going to help me become a better husband, a better friend, a better CEO one day, coaches and culture that’s going to help my after football.”
-Callahan

Sounds like the kid has his head screwed on straight. 10.92 in the 100 at 6'2" and 220 pounds is very, very, impressive time. Wow. Wish with everything in me this kid would be a Vol, but it's gonna be a hard pull I am afraid.
Being 30-40 mins from Athens and 90 from Clemson will be tough unless he just wants to get away from NE GA or really loves the Vols. I hope it’s the latter.

From ga Rivals:

One of the top linebackers in the 2024 class returned to Athens last weekend. Sammy Brown made the short trip to campus from Jefferson. The No. 23 overall prospect in the 2024 class watched the Bulldogs scrimmage before ducking into a film review session with co-defensive coordinator Glenn Schumann. The visit served as one of Brown's most in-depth looks yet at how the Bulldogs run their defense. "It was awesome," Brown said.

Brown had already visited Georgia for one of the spring practices in March. He returned on April 2 for the team's first scrimmage of the spring. With his future spot in college likely being at inside linebacker, Brown watched the Bulldogs' young group at that position.

"Obviously Coach Schumann has got some big shoes to fill at linebacker, but the talent and ability is definitely there," Brown said. Jamon Dumas-Johnson and Trezman Marshall were two of the inside linebackers that stood out from Brown's perspective. That view came from the sidelines, where Brown spent most of his time with 2022 signee CJ Washington. Washington sustained a neck injury earlier in the spring and is out indefinitely.

"We were able to talk a good bit of football and how they do things as far as classes and management and all that good stuff, along with a good bit about Coach Schu and how he works," Brown said. "He basically coached CJ into linebacker because he played mostly running back in high school."

After the scrimmage, Brown and his father sat down with Schumann for a film review. The original topic had been to review film of last year's defense. But the scrimmage tape came in earlier than expected, allowing the trio to look over it instead.

"It was really just the basics," Brown said. "Kind of the basics of their play calls and all that, along with seeing their blitzes." Alabama offered Brown during a visit on Monday. The Crimson Tide will be a factor in his recruitment along with Georgia, Clemson, Tennessee, and others.

LB SAMMY BROWN, JEFFERSON, GA.

247Sports ranking: No. 6 overall prospect, No. 1 linebacker

Brown, who already was ranked among the nation's top prospects in 247Sports' initial top 100 for the 2024 class, received an offer from Tennessee more than a year ago and already has visited the Vols a few times. He most recently returned to Knoxville on March 5 for one of Tennessee's junior days. His mother is originally from Johnson City, Tenn.

-Callahan

Probably a kid that will find more interest in uT after the season.
Hopefully he'll give Banks a chance
While Georgia is working hard to build a connection with Sammy Brown, they are not alone. Brown tells us that several schools are recruiting him hard currently. “Schools that are recruiting really hard would be Tennessee, Georgia, Ohio State, Clemson, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma.” This spring, he has visited the likes of Tennessee, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Georgia.
- My article from June 7th

VN Store

Back